Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA Mileage/Segment Runs Out of ORD Through End of Year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Platinum Premier

Looks like my business travel is going to come up a bit short in terms of requalifying ExPlat on AA this year, so I am anxious to try and line up any attractive deals between now and the end of the year.

I usually get closer on segments, but this year it's a toss-up; I'm currently at 66 segments and around 67,000 miles. I expect to do another 20 segs/20K miles with business, and that means that if I can possibly get the rest at a reasonable price, it will be worth it for next year.

I've looked around, and currently there doesn't seem to be anything really attractive. A couple of years ago, I did Milwaukee, Chicago, New York and Raleigh Durham and back (required an overnight). The cost was very reasonable; something like $325 or so. Not now. It's nearly 3 times that!

So, if you find an American Airlines "deal" out of Chicago or a nearby airport, heavy in segments or miles, I'd appreciate a heads up. I'm sure that I'm not the only one.

Thanks
Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by travelguy43
Looks like my business travel is going to come up a bit short in terms of requalifying ExPlat on AA this year, so I am anxious to try and line up any attractive deals between now and the end of the year.

I usually get closer on segments, but this year it's a toss-up; I'm currently at 66 segments and around 67,000 miles. I expect to do another 20 segs/20K miles with business, and that means that if I can possibly get the rest at a reasonable price, it will be worth it for next year.

I've looked around, and currently there doesn't seem to be anything really attractive. A couple of years ago, I did Milwaukee, Chicago, New York and Raleigh Durham and back (required an overnight). The cost was very reasonable; something like $325 or so. Not now. It's nearly 3 times that!

So, if you find an American Airlines "deal" out of Chicago or a nearby airport, heavy in segments or miles, I'd appreciate a heads up. I'm sure that I'm not the only one.

Thanks
If you can take a weekend run at ASU, there has been a great fare all the way at around $1.6k(from MIA) that nets you 10k EQM, and 15k EQP. What is your EQP for now? You might wanna go for the premium fares since your flights with business might give you at least 100% EQP...?

I feel for you. Segment run is really pain in the butt, good luck for that!
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:42 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
you want to run for 13k eqm or 14 segs?

your example from a couple of years back was ~ $60-65/seg incl hotel & so you would like to do it for $900ish?

look at sea-ord-dfw 2x & ord-sea positioning or start at dfw....sometimes the 5k trip is ~ $300...

edit to add....dfw-sea rt is $360 currently in oct....

also look at sfo-jfk-sfo 2x w/ord-sfo positioning when $300ish fares are available...

Last edited by clacko; Aug 30, 2012 at 8:54 am
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:12 am
In Memoriam

fll-sfo via lax is $274 for 5684 eqm....2 + rt ord-fll should get you close...

edit to add....

perhaps you could say when you can run....you are obviously afflicted w/work, so maybe weekends only?

will you have a use for the swus this year?

Last edited by clacko; Aug 30, 2012 at 11:25 am
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:09 pm
In Memoriam

6 segs $390.....mke-ord-mci-dfw-aus-dfw-mke.....ron in aus....used multicity...
Old Aug 30, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
ORD-MIA-SJU-MIA-DFW-HNL-LAX-SAN-ORD = 12971
Can be done for $871 or so late September. Not the cheapest but you could knock it out quick. YUP prices nicely exSJU if you prize comfort over cost.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Platinum Premier
Great suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

Clacko, the suggestion of 6 segments for $390 gets me pretty close to what I found a couple of years ago.

I can often travel during the week for my own purposes; just depends on my work schedule.

I am torn... I want to get some of this out of the way, but realistically should wait as long as I can to have a better feel for just what my job may provide.

You guys are great.

Thanks!

BTW, if anyone is in the Chicago area and has a similar need, let me know. Might be fun to knock these out using the buddy system.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by travelguy43
Great suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

Clacko, the suggestion of 6 segments for $390 gets me pretty close to what I found a couple of years ago.

I can often travel during the week for my own purposes; just depends on my work schedule.

I am torn... I want to get some of this out of the way, but realistically should wait as long as I can to have a better feel for just what my job may provide.

You guys are great.

Thanks!

BTW, if anyone is in the Chicago area and has a similar need, let me know. Might be fun to knock these out using the buddy system.
If you want to get some out of the way soon and see what work provides, I'd lean towards taking the miles vs. segment approach but I've never qualified via segments so maybe that "known" is my bias.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 5:44 pm
In Memoriam

you may have seen this in the other thread....

ord-sfo-bos-lax-bos-ord was $700 fri pm-sun....over 12.5k....
3 of these could do it....all dom so an exp might ride in front....same w/e...

this was 9/28 week end....didn't add up the mi in detail....
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Hotels, Marriott
Will existing business travel take you to either coast?

Mileage running from Chicago is generally a more expensive proposition than doing transcons. If you're going to be LAX,SEA,PHX or MCO/NYC anyways on business, those will likely be better places to start your mileage run from.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:10 am

I just did JFK-SNA for ~10K elite for $241 and will do it again next Tuesday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.