US: Need 18K for Chairmans

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2012, 2:45 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
US: Need 18K for Chairmans

Hi all,

So a friend didn't plan his travels properly and is coming up 18K short of Chairmans on US. He's willing to spend up to $1,500 to do some MRs, and available after the 15th of Dec, ex-PHL or NYC.

I looked around for some possible trips, but I am coming up dry with anything within that price range in those dates.

Would anyone have any suggestions on what I could recommend him?

Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA,AA,WN, Marriott & Hilton Gold
EWR-HNL (same day turn) on UA is ~$485 this weekend and nets ~10k miles. Goes up significantly after the 15th though...

PHL-DUB is ~$750 12/15-16 but only 6,500 miles. Can fly ex NYC and add a couple stops (EWR-PHL-DUB-PHL-CLT-EWR) for ~$800 to increase to ~8k miles.

Those together would get the 18k miles. Use Google flights to get those routings on those dates if that might work for him.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Would anyone have any suggestions on what I could recommend him?
Buy up to Preferred. $989.00.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by AeroWesty
+1^ A whole lot cheaper than what I found and way less hassle.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soccerref750
EWR-HNL (same day turn) on UA is ~$485 this weekend and nets ~10k miles. Goes up significantly after the 15th though...

PHL-DUB is ~$750 12/15-16 but only 6,500 miles. Can fly ex NYC and add a couple stops (EWR-PHL-DUB-PHL-CLT-EWR) for ~$800 to increase to ~8k miles.

Those together would get the 18k miles. Use Google flights to get those routings on those dates if that might work for him.
Yep I tried to sell him on the HNL trip, but I think he might really be unavailable until the 15th - and fares are crazy then. Thanks for the suggestion, though... will keep checking.

LOL. Ahh, US. I didn't even notice that page. This may indeed solve his issue, as that ends up being cheaper than what he wanted to spend
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
LOL. Ahh, US. I didn't even notice that page. This may indeed solve his issue, as that ends up being cheaper than what he wanted to spend
I always prefer the "write check, solve problem" approach myself.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

I always prefer the "write check, solve problem" approach myself.
Hilarious but true.

I also find it moderately amusing how crediting 1 qualifying mile reduces the buy-up to Chairmans by $1,000.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Former CO Presidential Plat (for a day!)
Am seriously jealous about now... I guess UA doesn't have this!
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by mdt76
I guess UA doesn't have this!
Well, yes, they do. It's just not as blatantly displayed. You have to do the workaround for it. See this thread for more details. I'm not entirely conversant on it.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Former CO Presidential Plat (for a day!)
Well, yes, they do. It's just not as blatantly displayed. You have to do the workaround for it. See this thread for more details. I'm not entirely conversant on it.
Was looking at doing this, but the cpm seems to be a lot higher than the US chart... thanks though!
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:43 pm

The workaround is nigh impossible if you're Platinum heading to 1K, because of how they code the buy-ups. They make it as difficult as possible to buy what you need. That and the same bump you can buy on US for $989 (I'm going to finish about 20k short of top tier as well) would run me about $4000. So not quite the same.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:49 pm

Ahh, thanks for the info on the UA program. I recall looking at it some time ago and it not being worth it for me then, but I figure it still exists if it works for some people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.