Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] JJ/UA: JFK-GRU-EZE, <$400 rt, 3.2CPM (earn 100% on UA)

[FARE GONE] JJ/UA: JFK-GRU-EZE, <$400 rt, 3.2CPM (earn 100% on UA)

Old Feb 14, 13, 10:40 am

Programs: Once upon a time...
Just got a phone call today that my schedule changed. Originally it was:

Thu 04/04 - 12:30pm - 11:05pm, LAX-LIM, TAM #6609
Fri 04/05 - 1:20am - 8:10am, LIM-GRU, TAM #8231
Fri 04/05 - 9:20am - 12:35pm, GRU-SCL, TAM #8212
Wed 04/10 - 3:00pm - 7:50pm, SCL-GRU, TAM #8213
Sun 04/14 - 7:50pm - 11:05pm, GRU-LIM, TAM #8228
Mon 04/15 - 1:20am - 8:15am, LIM-LAX, TAM #6608

Now the second flight is listed on checkmytrip.com as:

Fri 04/05 - 8:50am - 3:40pm, LIM-GRU, TAM #8231

Obviously this flight would make me miss the 3rd flight. Before I call them back, what are my options?

- Will they change the dates for all of the flights or only the 3 legs that are affected?
- Do I have the option to cancel my entire itinerary for a full refund?
Old Feb 14, 13, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by veeRob View Post
What are my options?
Wow. Just wow.

Called TAM and inquired about my options, and was told that there was a direct flight from LIM-SCL that they could likely put me on, but I'd have to call my ticketing agency to make the change. The rep apparently had no power to do anything on my ticket.

Called the ticketing agency and they put me on hold and came back and told me that I had one option: a full refund of my ticket. Not a good option, and hardly an option if there's no SECOND option. I escalated to her manager.

Manager told me the same thing, and said there was nothing I could do. I asked for a call back from the "Executive Team" within 24-48 business hours, whatever that means (2 working days? 6 working days @ 8 hours/day? she didn't know)

I have non-refundable hotel and concert tickets booked (I was going for Lollapalooza), and I obviously can't afford to re-book my trip at current airline rates.

Do I have any recourse here?
Old Feb 14, 13, 12:24 pm

[FARE GONE] JJ/UA: JFK-GRU-EZE, &amp;lt;$400 rt, 3.2CPM (earn 100% on UA)

If you work twitter try asking @tamairlines for help. They reissued my ticket without having to go through Priceline.
Old Feb 14, 13, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by jonk View Post
If you work twitter try asking @tamairlines for help. They reissued my ticket without having to go through Priceline.
I corresponded with their Twitter team 4 days ago as I wanted to check up on my itinerary and it wasn't coming up on their web site. I DM'ed them my reservation number and got this response back:

Hello Robert, unfortunately we could not verify your reservation here. We suggest that you contact our Sales Center. Thank you.
Old Feb 14, 13, 12:37 pm

I corresponded with their Twitter team 4 days ago as I wanted to check up on my itinerary and it wasn't coming up on their web site. I DM'ed them my reservation number and got this response back:
ack :\ fwiw i can't get my reservation to come up on the website either (but verified it still exists over the phone). good luck!!!
Old Feb 14, 13, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jonk View Post
ack :\ fwiw i can't get my reservation to come up on the website either (but verified it still exists over the phone). good luck!!!
I also can't call mine up tam.com but see it on Check My Trip. I'm really hoping for some change so that I don't have an 8-hour overnight in GRU.
Old Feb 14, 13, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by abitlost View Post
I also can't call mine up tam.com but see it on Check My Trip. I'm really hoping for some change so that I don't have an 8-hour overnight in GRU.
I'd take an 8-hour overnight to having my entire trip canceled!
Old Feb 15, 13, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I'd take an 8-hour overnight to having my entire trip canceled!
Besides, you can slum it in an airport.
(I've done this at NRT before though I had entered Japan rather than stayed airside. Besides, I feel safe there in general compared to some parts of YVR/SFO.)
Old Feb 15, 13, 2:21 pm

Priority Pass does wonders for those long airport stretches.
Old Feb 15, 13, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Priority Pass does wonders for those long airport stretches.
+1
(Though at SCL there is APEC which is just as good.)
Old Feb 17, 13, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Starbux Gold, Nexus
Priceline sent me a schedule change notice on my EWR-EZE, arriving at EZE 9 hours later than the original booking. So after reading this thread, I called TAM first and they told me to call the OTA. So I called PL, fearing the worst, they happily called TAM and switched me to a JJ GRU-AEP instead of LA to EZE at an earlier time with no extra fees. Actually, its a relief as my GRU connection was previously only 70 mins from an UA arrival.
Old Apr 29, 13, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by mtndave47 View Post
Priceline sent me a schedule change notice on my EWR-EZE, arriving at EZE 9 hours later than the original booking. So after reading this thread, I called TAM first and they told me to call the OTA. So I called PL, fearing the worst, they happily called TAM and switched me to a JJ GRU-AEP instead of LA to EZE at an earlier time with no extra fees. Actually, its a relief as my GRU connection was previously only 70 mins from an UA arrival.
Thanks - useful info. I hate PL after their shenanigans with RGN Round 3.

I've been hit by LA's morning GRU-EZE flight being dropped and now JJ have reissued me involving a 6-hour delay at GRU. But perhaps I can try PL and see if they will change airport... AEP would be miles better than EZE inbound.
Old Apr 29, 13, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Wow. Just wow.

Called TAM and inquired about my options, and was told that there was a direct flight from LIM-SCL that they could likely put me on, but I'd have to call my ticketing agency to make the change. The rep apparently had no power to do anything on my ticket.

Called the ticketing agency and they put me on hold and came back and told me that I had one option: a full refund of my ticket. Not a good option, and hardly an option if there's no SECOND option. I escalated to her manager.

Manager told me the same thing, and said there was nothing I could do. I asked for a call back from the "Executive Team" within 24-48 business hours, whatever that means (2 working days? 6 working days @ 8 hours/day? she didn't know)

I have non-refundable hotel and concert tickets booked (I was going for Lollapalooza), and I obviously can't afford to re-book my trip at current airline rates.

Do I have any recourse here?
Yes. DoT. These tickets terminate Stateside and - after recent events, as we well know - are enforceable under 399.88a. Remind them pointedly of this, if you have to. PL - if it's them - are horrendous to deal with.
Old May 2, 13, 11:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mtndave47 View Post
OK, so after the six-hour sched change, I called PL yesterday. They told me "no alternative flights from GRU to EZE" prior to the auto-rebooked JJ late afternoon option. All true - as far as it went.

I then prompted the rep by stating a JJ flight to AEP was open for purchase. Initially and not unexpectedly he denied AEP was in Buenos Aires. I quoted the G-map data on distance from city for EZE and AEP. He asked me where I got the flight info from - PL or airline, and I said, no, KVS.

Then he said he would check with JJ - but then my phone battery died. I received a voice mail to call back and did this morning. A different agent, but the same drill. This time, after he called JJ and they agreed, which took about 20mins, I was rebooked on the AEP flight.

For once, a good outcome from PL!

Not only does this (a) avoid an undesirable six hour layover at GRU, and (b) deposit me into Palermo and right next to my destination instead of out in the pampas at EZE, but (c) this has the not-so-incidental benefit of moving me from LA to JJ and into a much higher fare class than purchased - so, more juicy UA MP miles

Moral of the story: if sched changed @ GRU for EZE, try to move onto an AEP flight instead.
Old May 13, 13, 8:26 am
Suspended

On the way back... at the JJ lounge in GRU.

This morning's LA flight went tech @ EZE. I paid for this FD itin by standing in the no-status line for 90 mins while the LA agents rebooked onto JJ (actually PZ).

This has the effect of reminding me that, indefensibly :-: best in class :-: though DL are, I would at least have had access to the ST elite desk if I'd been on AR.

The agents were going to taxi me back to AEP for the 11am but then at the last second, they found the final seat on the PZ 320 and sent me on my way. Despite my no-status bp, with no time to and my sequence number of 158, the aisle seat I was assigned was better than the row 10 non-recliner on the way down which was assigned with Star G privilige.

I still don't have my UA BPs but I have a long wait here in the lounge. Come on down, if you're here

Search this Thread
Search Engine: