Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] RGN First class comes back again!!!!

Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fti
People, please edit/use the wiki so same questions are not always asked.

The current CTA decision on the Yangon deal is only for tickets canceled by SWISS Airlines for the seven merged complaints/companions and tickets canceled by Jet Airways for one complainant and companions
- It's not about other carriers because each carrier submits different tariffs.
- If you are not one of the complainants or their companions above who were mentioned in the respective cases, you need to submit a case yourself for hearing.
- There's currently one person who is on Iberia for CTA decision, one can either wait for results or submit a complaint to CTA.

Result of the current case for LX in brief is:
- CTA found 5(F) in the tariff used to be unclear for canceling tickets on erroneously quoted fares.
- 5(F) is unjust and unreasonable and must be revised or taken down by July 9, 2013 (or SWISS can appeal by then)
- SWISS did not use its tariff correctly to cancel the tickets.
- SWISS must compensate one complainant's First Class ticket and any related expenses by July 18, 2013 provided with evidence.
- SWISS must transport other complainants (and their companions) in the original price charged with same booking class and routing by June 18, 2014.

Result of the current case for 9W in brief is:
- Tariff on file had no clauses for "erroneous fares" and was updated subsequently, which means it is not relevant to this event
- Therefore, 9W is to reinstate the tickets with a 1-year validity for transport between the same points and the same booking class.

CTA official news can be read here for general overview of the case.

Actual CTA case review can be found here for reference should you wish to file a complaint.

If you have a similar case that's with SWISS, you need to file with CTA to get a result through informal process first before it gets to formal process. The entire procedure can take up to 3 months for each and the result may not be same cause it's case-by-base and the reviewer of the case can be different.

To file an informal complaint with CTA, see here. Click through all of the pages to get to the online form for the informal complaint. Or click here.

To file a formal complaint after informal complaint has been closed, see here. Continue on to the next page to see the address or email address for the formal complaint.

The July 17th and 18th responses from LX can be found here:
Other Letters:

Feel free to add dates, flights, etc., in order to plan DOs, etc.

Aug 4: SFO-ICN (UA893)
Jason8612

Aug 5: ICN-SFO (UA892)
Jason8612

Aug 7: SFO-ICN (UA893)
Jason8612

Aug 11: ICN-NRT-ORD (UA78, UA882)
Jason8612

Aug 14: BOS-IAD-NRT-ICN (UA285, UA803, UA79)
Deltspygt

Aug 19: ICN-NRT-IAD-BOS (UA78, UA804, UA352)
Deltspygt

Oct 1: UA433-UA893
JeredF +1

Oct 8: UA892-UA242
JeredF +1

Oct 9: BOS-SFO-ICN (UA433, UA893)
BigJC

Oct 13: ICN-NRT-ORD-BOS (UA78, UA882, UA744)
BigJC

Oct 21: BOS-SFO UA433 to SFO-ICN UA893
Sterndogg +1
flyerdude88 (SFO - ICN portion only)

Oct 23: ICN - SFO UA 892
flyerdude88

Oct 27: ICN-SFO UA892 to SFO-BOS UA286
Sterndogg +1

Nov 05: BOS-ORD UA521, ORD-NRT UA881
kokonutz, I012609, BingoSF +1

Nov 11: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-IAD UA727
kokonutz, I012609, BingoSF +1

Nov 26: BOS-SFO UA433, SFO-NRT UA837, NRT-ICN UA79
thepla

Nov 27: BOS-ORD-NRT-ICN (UA501, UA881, UA196)
BigJC+1

Nov 29: Planning 2 days in TPE, been to ICN
thepla

Dec 1: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-ORD UA698, ORD-BOS UA961
thepla

Dec 1: ICN-NRT-IAD-BOS (UA78, UA804, UA822)
BigJC+1

Dec 15: BOS-SFO UA433, SFO-ICN UA893
songzm

Dec 25: BOS-IAD UA285, IAD-NRT UA803, NRT-ICN UA79
Dinoscool3 +2

Dec 30: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-BOS UA444
songzm

Dec 31: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-BOS UA770
Dinoscool3 +2

Jan 11: BOS-SFO UA1523, Jan 12: SFO-ICN UA893
margarita girl

Jan 12: BOS-SFO UA433, SFO-ICN UA893
Zebranz

14 Jan: BOS-SFO UA433 to SFO-ICN UA893
ORDOGG

19 Jan: ICN-SFO UA892 to SFO-ORD UA698 to ORD-BOS UA961
ORDOGG

Jan 22: ICN-SFO UA892 SFO-BOS UA500
margarita girl

Feb 5: ICN-SFO UA892 SFO-BOS UA242
Zebranz

CMB-DFW EY F

FARE IS GONE

FARE RULES (thanks to SQ421)
FRTLK Fare Rules (RT)
FOWLK Fare Rules (OW)

WHEN ARE YOU FLYING?
Feel free to add any additional cities you're leaving from!
Please slot yourselves in!!!

ex-CMB
Feb

Mar
8 - Darmajaya
12 - Thaidai
22 - Deadinabsentia

Apr
21 - SQ421, penegal, jozdemir
26 - tahsir21

May
28 - Upperdeck744
29 - bonsaisai (positioning flights SIN-CMB, DFW-ORD)

Jun
12 - lelee

Jul
7 - HansGolden +6
8 - arcticbull + 1
11 - bonsaisai's friend (positioning flights: SIN-CMB, DFW-MCI)
25 - Tycosiao
30 - bonsaisai's friend (positioning flights: MCI-DFW, CMB-SIN)

Aug
17 - DC777Fan
26 - Yi Yang
31 - dcas

Sep

Oct

Nov
8 - harryhv
29 - stephem+4

Dec
6 - roastpuff and (soon) Mrs. roastpuff , JFKEZE (UL Code-share)
7 - DWFI
10 - jlisi984 + dad (CMB-AUH-DFW)
21 - bonsaisai (positioning flights SIN-CMB, DFW-ORD)

ex-AUH
Jan

Feb

Mar

Apr
27 - RICHKLHS

May

Jun
29 - yerffej201

Jul
9 - HansGolden +6
27 - Tycosiao

Aug

Sep

Oct

Nov
30 - stephem+4 (to JFK)

Dec
7 - JFKEZE, DWFI [EY161 nonstop]
9 - roastpuff and (soon) Mrs. Roastpuff

ex-DFW
Jan

Feb

Mar
14 - Thaidai
15 - zainman +1

Apr
25 - SQ421, penegal, jozdemir

May

Jun

Jul

Aug
22 - arcticbull + 1

Sep
22 - bonsaisai (positioning flights ORD-DFW, CMB-SIN)

Oct

Nov
19 - harryhv->Paris

Dec
19 - Yi Yang, jona970318
24 - DWFI (EY160 nonstop)
26 - HansGolden +6 (CDG), LwoodY2K (AUH)
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] RGN First class comes back again!!!!

Old Sep 29, 2012, 2:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
I did not call anyone and I won't in the near future. Nevertheless, I will have to do that in the beginning of December in order to give the useless ticket back. But maybe there will be some cheap eco tickets from YUL to Europe to RGN in which case I could keep my ticket.
I'm in precisely the same position (even same time frame). Please ping me if you find something interesting, and I'll do the same
Old Sep 29, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
you can book round trip and fly one way.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by mainbill
So I guess my question makes it the one thousand first.
Maybe I should have asked if anyone had success changing it without repricing it.
why do u think it is possible when airlines want to find excuses to cancel the tickets?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
I did not call anyone and I won't in the near future. Nevertheless, I will have to do that in the beginning of December in order to give the useless ticket back. But maybe there will be some cheap eco tickets from YUL to Europe to RGN in which case I could keep my ticket.
depending on what u mean by cheap. one way to asia on UA is like 8xx usd, and it is GPU able.

thrn airasia or whatever youe way to RGN. if this is consider expensive, then i dont understand why u bought a ticket from RGN?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
What I don't get in my head is how people can consider flying in Y all the way to RGN just to fly F back to YUL. But I guess to each his own.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 2:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
What I don't get in my head is how people can consider flying in Y all the way to RGN just to fly F back to YUL. But I guess to each his own.
Totally agree. My situation is a bit unusual in that I actually want to visit RGN given the opportunity - this isn't a MR for me But obv 30 hours in Y is something I haven't done in many years, and never with a toddler. No idea how this will play out, still 2 months left
Old Sep 29, 2012, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
ahhh.. but its all about "getting in on the deal"

Sure, for most people it made absolutely no sense to buy these tickets, yet some bought multiples.

For some, its a convenient way of getting home from Asia, or other reasons, sure... but for most - it makes absolutely no sense.

If someone is paying to get to Asia, how else do you suggest to get there? Pay for a J ticket - that defeats the purpose. Flying to Asia in Y is not that big of a deal - I can definitely handle it, but would probably need more than an hour on the ground before getting back on the plane, even in F.

If redeeming an award - of course J makes more sense. But if you are just going for the sake of it (especially mutliple times) - the math make start making less sense to earn 40k by spending 60k.

For me, round 3 is a great way of getting home from Asia at the end of a 10 week vacation in late August. I already had a prebooked QR J award to get to Asia.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 2:44 pm

will I make silver on this? rgn-business-nrt-1-zrh-1-yul

Hi,

First segment is business class yangon to narita.
2nd segment is first narita zurich (ana operated by swiss)
3rd segment is first zurich to montreal (swiss).

would prefer to credit it to united, but could of course credit it to another airline if there is an advantage.

will likely be travelling using united points later in 2013 either from canada to asia on asiana, or canada /us to europe possibly continuing to asia on doem star or oneworld carrier.

thanks
Old Sep 29, 2012, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andrewryan
Hi,
thanks
No, the route is only 19000 EQMs, you will not make Silver on United.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Scatter

Could someone post the fare rules for JIFOW3 - or if already posted the post #?

And AIFOW3 as well!
Old Sep 29, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by andrewryan
Hi,

First segment is business class yangon to narita.
2nd segment is first narita zurich (ana operated by swiss)
3rd segment is first zurich to montreal (swiss).

would prefer to credit it to united, but could of course credit it to another airline if there is an advantage.

will likely be travelling using united points later in 2013 either from canada to asia on asiana, or canada /us to europe possibly continuing to asia on doem star or oneworld carrier.

thanks
Credit RGN-NRT-ZRH to M&B and you will be *G!!

Then credit the ZRH-YUL to your UA account so you can actually spend them.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
ahhh.. but its all about "getting in on the deal"

Sure, for most people it made absolutely no sense to buy these tickets, yet some bought multiples.

For some, its a convenient way of getting home from Asia, or other reasons, sure... but for most - it makes absolutely no sense.

If someone is paying to get to Asia, how else do you suggest to get there? Pay for a J ticket - that defeats the purpose. Flying to Asia in Y is not that big of a deal - I can definitely handle it, but would probably need more than an hour on the ground before getting back on the plane, even in F.

If redeeming an award - of course J makes more sense. But if you are just going for the sake of it (especially mutliple times) - the math make start making less sense to earn 40k by spending 60k.

For me, round 3 is a great way of getting home from Asia at the end of a 10 week vacation in late August. I already had a prebooked QR J award to get to Asia.
It might sound harsh but honestly (and I think it has been said in this saga of a thread before): If one doesn't have the means either financially or mileage wise to travel to the origin of this fare on a similar level of comfort then maybe this ticket should not have been bought.

It's the typical situation pretending of to be a gourmet in a restaurant and eating pasta with ketchup at home.

As you said: There are situations where it makes absolutely sense to buy a ticket, I bought mine to go back before christmas.

Another one from round 2 I have parked for April to YVR but I plan on being in the region anyway, same as the 2 tickets from round 1.

People just tend to switch off their brain once a cheap Premium Fare is around.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

absolutely. But then again, most will cancel.
But you also have to look at it from a different perspective - its a chance to fly First Class. Most people havent had/never will have the chance to do so again. If it means schelpping to RGN in Y - I can see their point. I do see how flying SQ F can have an appeal - its most likely to be once in a lifetime for most people, and if it means schelpping to RGN in Y, I can understand that in this case.

I mean, I dont see any reason to for example buy MH tickets - if one has no affiliation with MH, its not like its useful miles either.

Myanmar is also a wonderful country to visit, so again, hopefully at least some will spend more than a day in Yangon and actually leave the capital. But probably not.

I dont have any round 2 tickets, it was a poor deal for me, with DL, and only one for round 1.

btw, I just checked and my flight (almost 11 months from now) on NRT-ZRH shows F1... Unreal.

Last edited by rankourabu; Sep 29, 2012 at 3:22 pm
Old Sep 29, 2012, 3:24 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.1; Galaxy Nexus Build/JRO03C) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

I don't deny getting starry-eyed when a premium fare error rolls around, even after all these years.

For me building a pearl of a trip around the grain of sand that is the error fare is part of the fun.

I have canceled only one error fare out of dozens - an AC J-class MEX ticket that I booked for the wrong date and was a week from departure. I paid a $150 cancel fee. Of course, two days later AC offered all ticket holders full RDMs/EQMs plus a full refund.

Lesson learned: stay in the game until somebody pays you to go away!!
Old Sep 29, 2012, 3:24 pm

I know I do! But looks like I have more luck then brains, with all those RGN fares helping me get status in C/F and I get to see a lot of interesting places that I might otherwise miss.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.