Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

strange routings= possible good mileage run

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid

I know that the subject of strange routings has been discussed in the past and that we all probably have our fair share of weird offerings, (I was once offered NYC-ORD via London), but I just have to share what I believe to be one of the strangest. I was on Delta.com yesterday

I was looking for flights for the last leg of a TLV-NYC -TLV multi city trip

Besides the regular non stop, I was offered:

LGA-ATL with a 4 hour layover
ATL-JFK
JFK-TLV

After I finished laughing I continued to scroll down and came across the winner:

JFK -ATL with a 5 hour layover
ATL-JFK
JFK-TLV

Who programs these offerings?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
LOL!
Just in case you couldn't get enough JFK, they wanted to be sure you had the chance to take one more tour through before the long leg of the trip.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Do you have to go through customs when you get back to JFK?

Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: US Dividend Miles
Delta once sold me BOS-ATL-PIT. Of course once we're into USDM redemption territory, all bets are off and US refused to give me HKG-KIX, whereas HKG-BKK-KIX was perfectly acceptable.

Pales in comparison to offering a London stopover, though! So did you take it?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, USDM Gold, National Exec Elite, IHG Dumped-now Kettle, SPG Platinum
I'd be tempted to take the trip just for the laugh of it... and the PQM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 3:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
AA used to regularly sell me LGA-BOS-JFK-XXX (did LAX once and PHX once) for no extra cost over JFK-XXX. Those were the days

Though DL sold me LGA-CVG-RDU for the same price as LGA-RDU last month so that was something!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by CMK10
AA used to regularly sell me LGA-BOS-JFK-XXX (did LAX once and PHX once) for no extra cost over JFK-XXX. Those were the days

Though DL sold me LGA-CVG-RDU for the same price as LGA-RDU last month so that was something!
AA has domestic routings on lockdown these days.

International is the only time they seem to offer more convoluted routes.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by vxmike
Originally Posted by CMK10

AA has domestic routings on lockdown these days.

International is the only time they seem to offer more convoluted routes.
Indeed, AA is basically "connect in DFW or else". However, their domestic award routings at milesAAver can be outrageously convoluted, we did a thread on it not too long ago. My best paid routing is probably EWR-ORD-STL-MIA-LIR (Liberia, Costa Rica), with a LIR-MIA-ORD-EWR return. It's still possible to connect through STL on AA sometimes .
Old Aug 23, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Indeed, AA is basically "connect in DFW or else". However, their domestic award routings at milesAAver can be outrageously convoluted, we did a thread on it not too long ago. My best paid routing is probably EWR-ORD-STL-MIA-LIR (Liberia, Costa Rica), with a LIR-MIA-ORD-EWR return. It's still possible to connect through STL on AA sometimes .
I remember that thread. Funny thing I would probably take a convoluted award routing in First if I had extra time...doubt it for coach unless I *really* needed to get somewhere on a particular day.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA MP( 1k; 1MM); Hyatt Globalist
I have to add OAK-DEN-HNL to that equation on UA, which could also be OAK-DEN-SFO-HNL
Old Aug 23, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, USDM Gold, National Exec Elite, IHG Dumped-now Kettle, SPG Platinum
are these manual routings that just price the same or is the system actually suggesting this?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 4:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I once needed to fly BOS-ORD-FRA on AA.

Was able to force BOS-LAX-ORD-FRA. Cost was an extra $75. Considering this was during a BOS-LAX 3xRDM DEQM promo I really had no choice but to do so.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 8:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vxmike
I remember that thread. Funny thing I would probably take a convoluted award routing in First if I had extra time...doubt it for coach unless I *really* needed to get somewhere on a particular day.
I'm with you. A few years ago I needed a last minute PHX-DTW routing and I ended up going PHX-DFW-ORD-DTW in F instead of PHX-ORD-DTW. Why not? Extra meal flight!
Old Aug 24, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by badatz
I know that the subject of strange routings has been discussed in the past and that we all probably have our fair share of weird offerings, (I was once offered NYC-ORD via London), but I just have to share what I believe to be one of the strangest. I was on Delta.com yesterday

I was looking for flights for the last leg of a TLV-NYC -TLV multi city trip

Besides the regular non stop, I was offered:

LGA-ATL with a 4 hour layover
ATL-JFK
JFK-TLV

After I finished laughing I continued to scroll down and came across the winner:

JFK -ATL with a 5 hour layover
ATL-JFK
JFK-TLV

Who programs these offerings?

Thats unbelievable NYC-ORD via LHR. Would love to see that offered, hopefully someone can take them up on it!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
PHX-SFO-IAH-ELP and return ELP-IAH-SFO-PHX. That's one of the strangest I've seen... and one of the best CPM deals in the last few months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.