Wiki Posts
Search

UA 100K ASAP, but cheaply

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2012, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver, Hertz Presidents
UA 100K ASAP, but cheaply

Has anyone any suggestions for super-long-haul UA MRs? I'd prefer A or D, but will go EC too. I am trying to figure out the fastest way to 100K miles (1K), as per this thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ier-elite.html) and am hoping this is the right forum for it. I'm trying to search using Kayak, Farecompare, Farewatcher, Orbitz, and UA's site but no luck. (In fact, I'm not sure what their longest haul flight actually is, but see most MRs include a number of stops.) Thanks for any input.

Last edited by olindacat; Jul 22, 2012 at 9:44 am Reason: added link to other thread
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:20 am

IAD to JNB is around 16k miles RT. Its non-stop UA flight operated by SAA.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:37 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
HKG, SIN, TYO, etc. Asia is one of your better bets given greater competition to that market. You could also try places in the Middle East/North Africa, including Accra, Dubai, Bahrain, Kuwait City that don't exactly scream tourism.

IAD-SFO-HKG and back is 18,690 miles. IAD-KWI and back is 13,150. But even if you fly to HKG and back, you'd have to do that 6 times to get 1K. Not at all cheap if you are trying to squeeze this in at the last minute, and it's not clear from your other thread why you want/need 1K so badly. (If you're trying to get free upgrades to Hawaii, you'll have to connect in SFO, LAX, or DEN, and even then they are unreliable. No free upgrades at all from the East Coast.)
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
The best way is 20 or so trans con @ 200+ a pop, that is $4-5K for UA 1K.

I've done a number of MR's this summer at 5 cpm, but 3 cpm transcons are available for fall/winter. You can also book them all back to back to back. So do 2 MRs in 1 weekend.

I won't do international long hauls for this unless the $600-800 fare for NYC - SIN fare will comes back which averages out to $3-4K for 5 round trips and 1K status.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:34 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
What do you consider cheaply?

And, what would you want 1K for? If you are having to rush to try and get 100K miles, that means you have no travel on UA so far this year... so what are your plans to use the status for?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by wharvey
And, what would you want 1K for?
Remember that you can get the large majority of the Premier benefits through some combination of paying for them or getting a UA credit card. If you're considering flying solely to achieve status - you should really evaluate these options first...
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

I thought <$7-10K....

I'm embarrassed. I didn't realize 1K wouldn't get me upgrades from EWR or JFK.

This year I have flown Delta using miles I bought. I have only done two trips as I was in SE Asia on a 110-day bicycle trip, and thus didn't do as much commuting. But in 2013 I will be commuting more.

The way things seem to add up, I pay roughly about $2500 - $3000 for a FC seat either way (miles, miles n cash, cash) now. I read in one thread that UA might be the better of the main US airlines to invest in, with respect to getting an elite status, although there seems to also be a camp that feels (post-merger) like 1Ks are not getting on as well as in the past. So, that's the reason for my post.

I thought having the elite, and paying say $800 on average for a coach seat that could yield an upgrade, thus making the thing worth the $2500, that this would pay for itself if I kept the elite cost under $10K (6*1700).

So, I was hoping that if I had 1K status, I'd get upgrades to FC if they were available. I had been thinking of going the flight 15 route (EWR to HNL) as I prefer the long haul vs the stop. Now, it appears, I am wasting my (and your) time. Is this true?

To be honest: I worry about UA. My brother-in-law and his wife are both former Continental FAs, (they are now with UA) and they are miserable. I have always felt that the United Hawaii crews were pretty rough at times. (Sorry, if anyone here is very close with any of them, just my opinion.)

I always feel like I'm on a freighter. You'd think they'd put more into it. And Hawaiian is terrible. I have flown that airline for nearly 20 years and it has really gone downhill over the past few years.

Then I read stuff like this: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...rip-from-hell/

I have never actually gone on that flight, as I used to avoid HNL altogether. Scary.

So, I'm not sure about UA, or any other airline, for that matter. I just read (somewhere here on a sticky) that if I have a question regarding a particular airline, then post in that forum. So, here I am.

Originally Posted by wharvey
What do you consider cheaply?

And, what would you want 1K for? If you are having to rush to try and get 100K miles, that means you have no travel on UA so far this year... so what are your plans to use the status for?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Thank you.

Thank you for your advice. Yes, I was looking at the Explorer card. My wife and I already have the Chase Mileage Plus card now. We spend about $100K a year on it.

Originally Posted by LeftsideWindow
Remember that you can get the large majority of the Premier benefits through some combination of paying for them or getting a UA credit card. If you're considering flying solely to achieve status - you should really evaluate these options first...
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

I wonder if my brain would shrink too much :-)

Twenty, huh? Talk about blog clot city. But, it might be the cheapest way....

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
The best way is 20 or so trans con @ 200+ a pop, that is $4-5K for UA 1K.

I've done a number of MR's this summer at 5 cpm, but 3 cpm transcons are available for fall/winter. You can also book them all back to back to back. So do 2 MRs in 1 weekend.

I won't do international long hauls for this unless the $600-800 fare for NYC - SIN fare will comes back which averages out to $3-4K for 5 round trips and 1K status.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, Scottrick

I'll do some searches and see what I come up with, if I decide to pull the trigger on UA.

Originally Posted by Scottrick
HKG, SIN, TYO, etc. Asia is one of your better bets given greater competition to that market. You could also try places in the Middle East/North Africa, including Accra, Dubai, Bahrain, Kuwait City that don't exactly scream tourism.

IAD-SFO-HKG and back is 18,690 miles. IAD-KWI and back is 13,150. But even if you fly to HKG and back, you'd have to do that 6 times to get 1K. Not at all cheap if you are trying to squeeze this in at the last minute, and it's not clear from your other thread why you want/need 1K so badly. (If you're trying to get free upgrades to Hawaii, you'll have to connect in SFO, LAX, or DEN, and even then they are unreliable. No free upgrades at all from the East Coast.)
Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:29 pm

First of all, UA EWR-HNL-EWR it is possible to upgrade using RPU or GPU (75K EQM/100k EQM level eliets , using RPU/GPU instruments). Keep in mind its based on space available and you'd be competing with other high level elites on the chance. On this route you might also get a chance to buy a same day buy-up upgrade (e.g. I once bought the upgrade at airport check-in on day of travel), price varies from $325 to $5xx each way).

If you are willing to add a connect stop in West Coast, then you'd get a chance for CPU (free upgrade based on elite status, not using instrument) - it could work if you are 1K and you travel during non-peak times.

Its hard for me to imaging someone doing MR from 0 to 100K EQM. If you usually pay for FC between Hawaii and East Cost, and truly "feel like I'm on a freighter" then you'd probably have a worse time during MR trips especially if you are going long haul MR. One possible compromise would be to wait until next year (or any subsequent year) where you've already accumulated some EQMs on UA, say at least 25K EQM or higher then you can consider the cost/benefit of MR to achieve a higher elite level.

The elite maximizer rate (its the term to buy elite miles) on UA is expensive, its usually used by people to top off existing EQMs in order to meet the next elite level. In terms of RDM, if you are able to put $100K spend on credit card (as you mentioned in another post), you might want take a look at the UA Club card that earns 1.5 miles per $ spend, and it comes with UA lounge membership, no forex, 2 free bags on domestic travel and no closed-in award booking fee.

Originally Posted by olindacat
I'm embarrassed. I didn't realize 1K wouldn't get me upgrades from EWR or JFK.

This year I have flown Delta using miles I bought. I have only done two trips as I was in SE Asia on a 110-day bicycle trip, and thus didn't do as much commuting. But in 2013 I will be commuting more.

The way things seem to add up, I pay roughly about $2500 - $3000 for a FC seat either way (miles, miles n cash, cash) now. I read in one thread that UA might be the better of the main US airlines to invest in, with respect to getting an elite status, although there seems to also be a camp that feels (post-merger) like 1Ks are not getting on as well as in the past. So, that's the reason for my post.

I thought having the elite, and paying say $800 on average for a coach seat that could yield an upgrade, thus making the thing worth the $2500, that this would pay for itself if I kept the elite cost under $10K (6*1700).

So, I was hoping that if I had 1K status, I'd get upgrades to FC if they were available. I had been thinking of going the flight 15 route (EWR to HNL) as I prefer the long haul vs the stop. Now, it appears, I am wasting my (and your) time. Is this true?

To be honest: I worry about UA. My brother-in-law and his wife are both former Continental FAs, (they are now with UA) and they are miserable. I have always felt that the United Hawaii crews were pretty rough at times. (Sorry, if anyone here is very close with any of them, just my opinion.)

I always feel like I'm on a freighter. You'd think they'd put more into it. And Hawaiian is terrible. I have flown that airline for nearly 20 years and it has really gone downhill over the past few years.

Then I read stuff like this: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...rip-from-hell/

I have never actually gone on that flight, as I used to avoid HNL altogether. Scary.

So, I'm not sure about UA, or any other airline, for that matter. I just read (somewhere here on a sticky) that if I have a question regarding a particular airline, then post in that forum. So, here I am.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

You are right.

I've been online looking at airfares all day. Talk about addicting. I may have to suck it up and buy my tix to and from Maui next year. If I do six trips@about 8-9k miles each, and then maybe one big trip to SE Asia, then a MR plan may be justifiable. I am not fit enough to handle 20 RTs over the pond, that's for darn sure.

I hate using that term to describe some of my experiences on UA (or any airline). I love to fly and travel in general.

Even the commute to Maui or vice versa is somehow fun, in an odd way.

Thanks for your advice.

Originally Posted by deltame
First of all, UA EWR-HNL-EWR it is possible to upgrade using RPU or GPU (75K EQM/100k EQM level eliets , using RPU/GPU instruments). Keep in mind its based on space available and you'd be competing with other high level elites on the chance. On this route you might also get a chance to buy a same day buy-up upgrade (e.g. I once bought the upgrade at airport check-in on day of travel), price varies from $325 to $5xx each way).

If you are willing to add a connect stop in West Coast, then you'd get a chance for CPU (free upgrade based on elite status, not using instrument) - it could work if you are 1K and you travel during non-peak times.

Its hard for me to imaging someone doing MR from 0 to 100K EQM. If you usually pay for FC between Hawaii and East Cost, and truly "feel like I'm on a freighter" then you'd probably have a worse time during MR trips especially if you are going long haul MR. One possible compromise would be to wait until next year (or any subsequent year) where you've already accumulated some EQMs on UA, say at least 25K EQM or higher then you can consider the cost/benefit of MR to achieve a higher elite level.

The elite maximizer rate (its the term to buy elite miles) on UA is expensive, its usually used by people to top off existing EQMs in order to meet the next elite level. In terms of RDM, if you are able to put $100K spend on credit card (as you mentioned in another post), you might want take a look at the UA Club card that earns 1.5 miles per $ spend, and it comes with UA lounge membership, no forex, 2 free bags on domestic travel and no closed-in award booking fee.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
I don't really understand the logic of trying to MR 100K just to have status for future travel...

Yes, then your future travel might be "better" because you get free upgrades and elite status benefits, but you have to go through 100k miles of pain this year to get that. Why not just save yourself the money and the pain of flying 100k miles this year, and just do the travel you have to do next year? Sure, then your travel next year might not be as pleasant compared to if you had elite status, but it'll still be much less pain than the pain you'll go through this year to fly 100k and you won't be spending any extra money and time.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:02 pm

this thread hurts my head
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Hurts mine too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.