Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Please advise newbie on 1st MR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM

Hello, I've been a lurker on the forums on and off, and have certainly benefited from the wisdom of FT'ers - thank you!

Being based in YYZ, I know it is often difficult to get a MR @ <5 cpm (think this is the "threshold" from what I've gathered from the forums). Esp. with Aeroplan changing their "Elite" status qualifications in 2013 to minimum 50,000 miles, I'm contemplating my first MR at close to 5 cpm.

I want to be proactive instead of scrambling in December, and I have a small window in early September to squeeze in a MR. Can FT'ers with experience with MRs please advise on the following and let me know if I've "calculated" accurately?

Via AC: Total $220 CAD (if booked by tonight) for 2000 miles (based on 500 minimums)
Sept 5: YYZ/YUL/BOS
Sept 6: BOS/YUL/YYZ

Via UA: Total $222 CAD for 5937 miles
Sept 5: BOS/SFO/LAS
Sept 6: LAS/IAH/BOS

$442CAD divided by 7937 miles = 5.6cpm

Consideration: currently, no need for hotel in either LAS or BOS. (I would consider an overnight in LAS moreso than BOS, and would use my *wood points, if I can further maximize miles earned.)

Questions:
- Do I literally just walk off one plane and onto another?
- For UA segments, does AC offer minimums or just the exact miles stated?

Thanks so much!
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
To a degree, yes. You'll have to change terminals at BOS using a shuttle bus landside and go through security again each way, as the UA flights are from either Terminal A or C (depending on destination from BOS) and AC is next to US at Terminal B. Considering you are also on two separate fares and PNRs, I'd allow a lot of time at BOS in case of IRROPS. Of course, you will preclear at YUL on the way down here, but coming out as a domestic flight at the AC gates in BOS is pretty useless, since either you leave the secured area or you go back to Canada, as no other airlines are in the AC gate area. As for Aeroplan earning on United:

Air Canada Top Tier members (Super Elite, Elite and Prestige) earn a minimum of 500 Aeroplan Miles according to the booking class purchased.

http://www1.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...Partner=United

And watch out for the Dash 8 prop planes on some of the YUL-BOS flights, if you don't like those.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
To a degree, yes. You'll have to change terminals at BOS using a shuttle bus landside and go through security again each way, as the UA flights are from either Terminal A or C (depending on destination from BOS) and AC is next to US at Terminal B. Considering you are also on two separate fares and PNRs, I'd allow a lot of time at BOS in case of IRROPS. Of course, you will preclear at YUL on the way down here, but coming out as a domestic flight at the AC gates in BOS is pretty useless, since either you leave the secured area or you go back to Canada, as no other airlines are in the AC gate area. As for Aeroplan earning on United:

Air Canada Top Tier members (Super Elite, Elite and Prestige) earn a minimum of 500 Aeroplan Miles according to the booking class purchased.

http://www1.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...Partner=United

And watch out for the Dash 8 prop planes on some of the YUL-BOS flights, if you don't like those.
TheBOSman, Thank you for your perspective and tips! I will be sure to add in sufficient time between the UA & AC flights.

In your opinion, is this itin MR worthy, considering my base is YYZ?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by SteadyAT
TheBOSman, Thank you for your perspective and tips! I will be sure to add in sufficient time between the UA & AC flights.

In your opinion, is this itin MR worthy, considering my base is YYZ?
Time constraints also play into this, and it seems you're fairly constrained on that part of it. Considering it seems you are on the cusp of a higher level, I'd be willing to go a bit higher than usual. It really depends on how much you value Elite with AC (I have no idea on anything about it so I can't help there). I don't know if there is too much good out of YYZ itself now, basically you're positioning for a cheap BOS-LAS MR.

You can walk between the terminals landside at BOS for the most part also, might not be a bad idea if you have the time to stretch the legs out. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.