Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] DL: PIT-SFO $140 ai r/t 2.8 cpm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] DL: PIT-SFO $140 ai r/t 2.8 cpm

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Herb687
In a market with a competitor's nonstop to said competitor's hub city? Pretty recently!
Well please share them next time you see it then, as they hardly appear here "all the time"...
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
This was gone fast. Doesn't seem like a mistake was it?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:36 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by JAAbercrombie
Please, AA, match this....... Pretty please.
Only in your dreams. Obviously you don't know how this predatory pricing scheme works. Another recent one I saw was IAH-ANC for very cheap with DL. Then UA offered DTW and MSP to ANC for the same price. UA was not going to match DL from their own hubs, but from DL's hubs.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:53 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by mnredfox
This was gone fast. Doesn't seem like a mistake was it?
It was around for about 12 hours.

I tried to compute how they could have messed up and concluded it is almost impossible...

The fare was $45 one way... They did not miss a zero, maybe fat fingered the "4" when it should have been a 9 or something...

But, I think this was an intentional quick attack at UA by DL. Those kind of fare dumps normally last several hours to a day, a little longer if competitors match.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
i waiting for UA to attack MSP!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy
The fare was $45 one way... They did not miss a zero, maybe fat fingered the "4" when it should have been a 9 or something...
That would be a helluva fat finger!!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:27 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by hotelmotel
That would be a helluva fat finger!!
Haha yep. At $95 OW, the all in fare would be around $229, so fat finger or not, this was a simple attack at UA. AA recently had $209 or $219 for PIT-LAX/SFO, so maybe they are competing for the PIT market.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
It was around for about 12 hours.

I tried to compute how they could have messed up and concluded it is almost impossible...

But, I think this was an intentional quick attack at UA by DL. Those kind of fare dumps normally last several hours to a day, a little longer if competitors match.

No mistake. It was an attack against UA hubs. It was a very low fare, but it was designed to get their attention. It was released around 5pm Pacific, and pulled by 7am Pacific, so the amount of true revenue impact it could have had to people legitimately buying in those markets was minimal.

Plus it was in T space which is their loss leader bucket anyway. They intend not to make that much on T fares, this was just a bit lower than usual (about $100 off a typical RT transcon fare sale).
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

Could have always missed a 1 at the beginning. Perhaps keyed it in as 045 instead of 145. That is relatively easy to do on a number pad.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by channa
No mistake. It was an attack against UA hubs. It was a very low fare, but it was designed to get their attention. It was released around 5pm Pacific, and pulled by 7am Pacific, so the amount of true revenue impact it could have had to people legitimately buying in those markets was minimal.

Delta is getting back at United for putting needles in their sandwiches.

I got a trip to San Juan out of a short business trip to DC: SFO-PIT $69.00. PIT-DC $5.00 Bus DCA-SJU $114.00 SJU-SFO $203.00

Last edited by sfosmith; Jul 17, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.