Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2012, 10:50 pm

Thanks, wish I felt "Brand New" @ 66
Old May 6, 2012, 10:56 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by miniliq
Regarding visas, an earlier poster referred to this e-visa site, and it sure seems easy: http://www.myanmarevisa.gov.mm
I've applied and received confirmation of my application, but I didn't supply a credit card and yet it shows a payment reference number. My visa "status" is shown as pending. Will be interesting to see how this works, because the trip is less than two weeks away. Anyone received their visa* through the online service?

(*You don't actually receive the visa, just an authorization letter to present to immigration at RGN where they will issue it)
Warning: this is completely incorrect. Today I applied using this site, and since there was no place to enter my credit card number, I contacted them. Here is their response:
Thank you for your inquiry. Our online visa system is now under pilot
testing and cannot be fully functioning. We
will announce the date of our official launch and all the online application
can only be processed after the official launch. Therefore, we regret to
inform you that we cannot process your application until our official launch.
Kindly get your visa from one of the nearest Myanmar Embassy if
your travel schedule is before our official launch.

Please stay tuned for the announcement of our official launch and we
look forward to providing our service to you in near future.

Best regards,
Myanmar Ease Net
So I replied asking when was the expected launch date (since my trip is in less than a month) and here was the reply:
Thank you for your interest. We are now waiting for the green light
from government and hoping to happen soon. Please stay tuned for our
official launch.
Further, the site sends you a confirmation for your application, but there is a specific warning: the confirmation letter is NOT what you take to the government. Another response (hopefully an approval) will be sent by e-mail in a few days and the second e-mail is what you take to Myanmar immigration.

miniliq - If your trip is in less than two weeks, you need to contact an expediter such as http://www.passportvisasexpress.com/ or get down to an embassy ASAP. It takes 10 business days to get a visa through the embassy. Otherwise, if you are traveling through BKK, there is some overnight/alternate process you can use to get a visa in BKK. Your options are pretty limited at this point.

Last edited by janetdoe; May 6, 2012 at 11:04 pm
Old May 6, 2012, 11:47 pm
c2h

Programs: QR-PLT, AM-Platino, TK-Elite
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Basically every day is still available for the JED fare. Price it out as multi city, with RGN-KUL on day 1, KUL-JED on day 2, JED-KUL-RGN on day 3
Thanks. Found it.
Old May 6, 2012, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
+1 Same experience with the e-visa thing. It looks like you're going to have to FedEx the applications to the embassy as always
Old May 6, 2012, 11:50 pm

I have in my possession an email sent by an airline internally. (don't ask how I got it)

In summary:

1) They plan to cancel

but worse

2) The wording used in the email says that travellers "falsified" and "obtained deceptively" these tickets and that their RGN station is to actively "pursue and be vigilant" , and that boarding is to be denied.

(I've changed the actual words used in parentheses to protect the source)
Old May 6, 2012, 11:55 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Originally Posted by Spiff
It might. And as time passes, the visa game for that country can really change.
and dictatorship can also mean $$$ will get you anything you want.. At least visa wise..
Old May 6, 2012, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA MM / Plat
Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
I have in my possession an email sent by an airline internally. (don't ask how I got it)

In summary:

1) They plan to cancel

but worse

2) The wording used in the email says that travellers "falsified" and "obtained deceptively" these tickets and that their RGN station is to actively "pursue and be vigilant" , and that boarding is to be denied.

The plot thickens. Interesting. Most of us here would disagree with that characterization!

Any other hints as to which airline? If the airline has a station at RGN, that leaves only a few options for which airline to watch out for:

Thai
SilkAir
Bangkok Airways
Vietnam Airlines
Malaysia Airlines
Air India

Who else?

Last edited by berkeleyguy3; May 7, 2012 at 12:01 am Reason: Add airlines
Old May 6, 2012, 11:58 pm
GmK

Programs: A few

In summary:

1) They plan to cancel

but worse

If I wouldnt know you from other postings I would have considered this trolling, as not even the Airline Name is included. But you are aware, that without mentioning that you only create "panic" here...
Old May 7, 2012, 12:01 am

Don't mean to cause panic - just wanted to highlight the thought process behind this. I wonder if other airlines are thinking alike.
Old May 7, 2012, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by dll
That's pretty damning. Vayama legal are sure to be a bit horrified at this development, particularly after their "the position of the airline remains the same" e-mail claiming the airline requested the cancellation.
Correct. I've been communicating with vayama the past week since ticket cx. The tone changed in their last email two days ago. All along they said they cancelled the ticket (not Korean). They've gone from their hands are tied because KE told them what to do, to tickets are still cancelled attm, but they are working with the airline regarding the issue and will get back to me. Vayama really shot themselves in the foot by canceling KE tickets rather than let KE cancel them.
Old May 7, 2012, 12:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by bandana1948
Forgive my newbie ignorance, but this is a question for those of you who got cheap tickets out of Rangoon. Are you guys really planning to fly to Rangoon to make use of this offer? Wouldn't the cost of getting there offset the benefits accrued from obtaining the cheap fare?

In short, what do you stand to gain (from a mileage run perspective) from this deal?
Quite a few scenarios where it absolutely makes sense. Here's two examples:

1) You have a truckload of miles from way back, but didn't fly much this year. You'd get to RGN "for free" on miles and then use this ex-RGN fare to fly long haul in business or first class which will earn you elite qualifying miles to help reach / maintain elite status this year.

2) You live "next door" to Myanmar. Quite a few of us hail from KUL, SIN, BKK. It's trivial to get to RGN on Thai Airways or Air Asia for peanuts.
Old May 7, 2012, 12:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by glennaa11
I know visas are not as hard to get now as they used to be, but I wonder if some eyebrows will be raised by folks applying for multiple visas in a short space of time.
I will appear at the Myanmar embassy tomorrow morning to find out. Will report back here.
Old May 7, 2012, 12:22 am

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
I will appear at the Myanmar embassy tomorrow morning to find out. Will report back here.
I wonder if mileage running meant anything to them..
Old May 7, 2012, 12:24 am

In summary:

1) They plan to cancel

but worse

Any insight on when they plan to cancel -- ?
Old May 7, 2012, 12:32 am

Programs: Delta PM
[Deleted]

Last edited by AZWildcat97; May 16, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.