Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Checked luggage query:-

I might consider checked luggage, so if I am on the inbound TG plane and plane to turnaround on the same TG plane, I would assume my luggage will be transported OK?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:57 pm

Cancelled my J ticket that was booked through Travelocity. Routing was PGN-SIN-LHR-JFK. The call took about 2 minutes and received a full refund. Very easy.

I still went to RGN, just left on a different ticket since I needed to be nearby for work. RNG, and Myanmar, kicked my .... I have been to many places, but nothing prepared me for RGN. Not being able to book much online, having to rely on local travel agents who can't easily tell you if something is available or not, and just everything being sold out over New Years, led us to run to BKK with our tails between our legs.

We can't wait to return to Myanmar, just with more / better planning next time. It's a beautiful place, and the people are wonderful and welcoming. If you drop $20 on the ground, it's far more likely that someone runs up to return it to you than it is for them to pocket it.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by mcdevit
Since a few years ago when they started putting the Thai departure tax on the tickets rather than collect it before immigration has anyone ever been asked to pay it? Immigration only looks at your boarding pass. I transit BKK all the time, it doesn't even seem like they would have a procedure now to collect it.
This issue is covered in the TG forum. Your BP will reflect where it was issed (look for e.g. "BKK" in small print on the lower part of the BP). If immigration spots that your BP has not been issued at BKK they will send you back to get a BP at check-in. Check-in will check whether dep.tax has been paid and if not you will have to pay at check-in to get a new BP. Transit BPs used to be issued on different stock or should be stamped "transit" which are easy for immigration to spot. BUT as stated above there has been many reports that imm.officerers off guard will not discover that your BP is issued elsewhere than BKK.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by alanslegal;20119538I
might consider checked luggage, so if I am on the inbound TG plane and plane to turnaround on the same TG plane, I would assume my luggage will be transported OK?
?? You mean at BKK to tag your bags with BKK-RGN-BKK-XXX? I doubt this will be accepted at BKK check-in and even if allowed it is bound to go wrong, as the bags will most likely not make the turnaround in time to get on the a/c again.

You should allow for enough time to collect your bag at RGN and re-check-in, i.e. not do a same plane turnaround; highly risky with bags IMO (and risky even without bags)
Old Jan 25, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA G, Ex-DL GM, Ex-UA 1P
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Checked luggage query:-

I might consider checked luggage, so if I am on the inbound TG plane and plane to turnaround on the same TG plane, I would assume my luggage will be transported OK?
There is an inexpensive luggage storage in the BKK airport, but it's outside of security and immigration. Shouldn't be too much of a problem if you have at least a 2 hour layover on the way out though.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Has anyone with a Myanmar visa attempted to enter the country over land from Thailand? I was going to attempt to do so but my travel partner was warned by the Emabssy in DC that a tourist visa (which was btained from the NYC consulate) is only good for arrival by air.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by zhaobao
I would differ. Spent my last day on a trip to Myanmar in Dec 2011 in Yangon and decided to walk into Monsoon for a lovely lunch after a walking trip of downtown. Here is my report
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...n.html#REVIEWS

I noticed that there are two camps of people with very different opinions about the restaurant. I happen to fall into the camp who love the place. Not sure if the quality has changed since I visited 1 year ago.

It was very interesting that they would take USD at Monsoon, but we used Kyats instead. Then we were counting on the amount of kyats left in our pockets before leaving the country and decided that we could only afford to eat at Aung Mingalar Shan Noodles that evening. It was a lovely experience having noodles for New Year's Eve dinner and watching the world go by. Please enlighten me - do they really serve Shan food ? The menu looks quite Chinese-inspired. We were even speaking to the owner in Mandarin Chinese - she is the daughter of immigrants from Yunnan province if I remember correctly. The food did not differ much from what we would have in Hong Kong/Mainland, but it was the chatting with the owner and watching people going about their routines that made the experience interesting/unique.

That's a different shan noodle restaurant than the one I went to, so I can't speak to that.

As far as Monsoon, I guess we have to agree to disagree. I didn't see that they even served hamburgers, but had I seen that, that would have been a sufficient red flag to keep me away. To me, that means they cater to tourists. I could eat at the hotel for that.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA G, Ex-DL GM, Ex-UA 1P
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Has anyone with a Myanmar visa attempted to enter the country over land from Thailand? I was going to attempt to do so but my travel partner was warned by the Emabssy in DC that a tourist visa (which was btained from the NYC consulate) is only good for arrival by air.
You can not enter Myanmar by land. The few border crossings that exist only allow you to legally cross into the border zone. Many people do this to extend their Thai visa, but you can not go past the border "buffer" zone. You can try to obtain a permit to go beyond the border zone from the government, but it is very expensive ($250+), and could take months to be approved.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Ivar's Carte Clam, Taco Time Loyalty Card
Originally Posted by zhaobao
decided that we could only afford to eat at Aung Mingalar Shan Noodles that evening. It was a lovely experience having noodles for New Year's Eve dinner and watching the world go by. Please enlighten me - do they really serve Shan food ? The menu looks quite Chinese-inspired. We were even speaking to the owner in Mandarin Chinese - she is the daughter of immigrants from Yunnan province if I remember correctly. The food did not differ much from what we would have in Hong Kong/Mainland, but it was the chatting with the owner and watching people going about their routines that made the experience interesting/unique.
^^^ We spent a week in RGN and ate at Aung Mingalar Shan Noodles at least once a day. The menu only has about twelve or thrteen items on it, but they are all good....especially the potstickers! Its a great place to eat, relax, have a big Myanmar Beer and just watch the streetlife.

A couple of the diminuatively beautiful waitresses speak English and I happened to ask if the food was authentic Shan food. The answer was "Yes, the noodles." Whatever that means.....
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, MM, AS MVP, Lifetime Skyclub, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, National Exec Elite, IHG Gold
schedule change

I had a AF ticketed RGN-BKK-CDG-JFK trip in March and there was a schedule change causing a misconnect in CDG. I was able to re-ticket on DL stock with DL to BKK-CDG-JFK (JFK-CDG) on the whale jet in C. HAPPY!!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:07 pm

So I had two legs on KE on KE stock - BKK-ICN and ICN-LAX.

I want DL miles. I see the line items in my DL account, but with no miles.

Is this some interim step with partner miles posting, or are they basically saying my fare class doesn't accrue DL miles?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 1:54 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K

Just got boarding pass from DL counter in BRU for final leg of my RGN-BKK-BRU-JFK itinerary (TG, TG, DL) and had no problems whatsoever. All legs business class. Myanmar was amazing; I'm so glad I finally got there, especially at this great price. Thanks OP!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 3:56 am

Programs: QFF WP, VA SG, Hhonors Diamond
Update: my cancelled RGN-NRT flight I've been offered to go RGN-BKK with TG and BKK-NRT on NH. Yay
Old Jan 26, 2013, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by josephstern
So I had two legs on KE on KE stock - BKK-ICN and ICN-LAX.
I want DL miles. I see the line items in my DL account, but with no miles.
Is this some interim step with partner miles posting, or are they basically saying my fare class doesn't accrue DL miles?
Seriously? That is strange. When did you travel? My November trip posted with all the miles within 2 days.

DL did reduce mileage on "special fares" but this would not seem to apply to the RGN fare.
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/ways_t...shed/index.jsp
I would definitely call DL and find wassup, and let us know.
DL.com is having some major IT issues with the new site so it could be something as simple as that.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 26, 2013 at 4:45 am Reason: corrected days for DL to post miles
Old Jan 26, 2013, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
Seriously? That is strange. When did you travel? My November trip posted with all the miles within 3 days.

DL did reduce mileage on "special fares" but this would not seem to apply to the RGN fare.
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/ways_t...shed/index.jsp
I would definitely call DL and find wassup, and let us know.
It wouldn't matter as the flights are in first class.
There is an even worse devaluation coming, though.
(Didn't buy any R1 though)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.