Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Old May 14, 2012, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
MPM+25 solves the mystery! Glad it was 25 of $31
Could you please explain why it solves the mystery?
Old May 14, 2012, 6:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Hope everything goes well, forumpersona999. Looking forward to updates.

Update:

TG staff were expecting me at the check-in counter. As soon as I presented my passport a supervisor was flagged. She says LX contacted the station several hours ago to tell them not to board me and indicate that the ticket will not be honored.

The TG people were very nice, actually and I returned the courtesy.

The TG supervisor went to bat for me but LX wouldn't budge.

First I cash-paid to change the date on my return sector from another BKK-RGB return flight I have in the system so I can get home. I got to the lounge (with horrible WiFi reception, getting like 1 bar and it keeps dropping).

Then suddenly the TG supervisor came to look for me in the lounge and give me back my money. Saying something along the lines of "we changed your other RGN-BKK back to next week and refund you the change fee because I convinced LX to honor at least your RGN-BKK sector on TG306. When you arrive in BKK, go to the LX counter in transit area, they want to have a word with you."

I asked her why she thinks LX wait until 7 hours before my flight departs to decide not to honor my duly issued (and over 10 day old) ticket.

She explained to me that there was a dramatic change in exchange rates and LX apparently got caught off guard.

This trip is awesome!

I am boarding in an hour and still don't know if I will sleep in ZRH or BKK tonight.

Takin' one for the team here ^^^^

My first impression of Myanmar is cool. I found a good local travel agent and sourced a reliable taxi driver (tested a few today and they were better than most you find in BKK though sharks and touts do exist here, make no mistake).

I will definitely come back here in the near future and spend a week or so.
Old May 14, 2012, 6:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
KE have acted magnificently - from a business perspective.

They know this is very different to the previous cancelled fares, and so once they realised, they did something about it. Instead of taking responsibility themselves, they've sent a blanket email to the TAs saying "cancel all these fares, they're not valid. If you don't we'll be very angry."

Suddenly it's brown trousers time for the work experience kid who gets the email, and the majority of the TAs cancel the tickets without even considering the consequences.

All of a sudden, 2/3 of KE's tickets are cancelled, and they haven't touched a single one personally; leaving the TAs holding the smoking gun.

Granted from a consumer perspective it's terrible, and having this back and forth and blame-game is a waste of everyone's time; but it's a genius move from KE.
Thats how it used to be in the good old days... there were plenty of FDs and error fares out there thanks to the GDS and fare filing being all buggy. TAs that took advantage of bugs in the system were duly lynched in public by the airlines to scare off other TAs from booking such stuff.

Fast forward 10 years, now you have the ability to book everything online, either with the airline directly or some mega online portal mosters like Expedia or Orbitz. If you factor in the consumer protection that has sprung, the airlines have very little wiggle room since the big portals tell them to go suck an egg when error fares crop up. Usually this is OK since in the process of taking everything online they are saving themselves millions in TA commission.

The reason why KE is still trying this is probably the online TAs involved are not real big key accounts to them and/or the damage was big.
Old May 14, 2012, 6:16 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Smile

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
Update:

This trip is awesome!
I am boarding in an hour and still don't know if I will sleep in ZRH or BKK tonight.
Thanks SO much forumpersona999! We appreciate the time & effort you're taking to update us! Sounds amazing!!! Keep us in the loop!!! ^
Old May 14, 2012, 6:17 am

Update:

TG staff were expecting me at the check-in counter. As soon as I presented my passport a supervisor was flagged. She says LX contacted the station several hours ago to tell them not to board me and indicate that the ticket will not be honored.

(...)

Then suddenly the TG supervisor came to look for me in the lounge and give me back my money. Saying something along the lines of "we changed your other RGN-BKK back to next week and refund you the change fee because I convinced LX to honor at least your RGN-BKK sector on TG306. When you arrive in BKK, go to the LX counter in transit area, they want to have a word with you."
Fascinating. From the email you received and TGflyergirl's info, it seemed like TG was going to refuse passage, but what the TG super said to you makes it seem like LX told TG to deny you boarding.

Looking forward to your report from BKK!

Takin' one for the team here
It is very much appreciated.

---

The reason why KE is still trying this is probably the online TAs involved are not real big key accounts to them and/or the damage was big.
Opodo and Travelocity are giant TAs that are also divisions of GDS companies. I think the latter is probably the reason, but that's conjecture, because I'm not sure how the airlines have to compensate each other. Do they each get a piece of the $35 pie, or does KE have to pay TG (for example) some prescribed rate for F travel RGN-BKK.

Last edited by yyzjake; May 14, 2012 at 6:23 am
Old May 14, 2012, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Update:

thanks so much for the updates!! I hope it all goes well and that you will be sleeping on a plane to Zurich tonight!!
Old May 14, 2012, 6:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by yyzjake
Opodo and Travelocity are giant TAs that are also divisions of GDS companies. I think the latter is probably the reason, but that's conjecture, because I'm not sure how the airlines have to compensate each other. Do they each get a piece of the $35 pie, or does KE have to pay TG (for example) some prescribed rate for F travel RGN-BKK.

AFAIK/R the airlines split the intake dividing it up by miles/units they transported the passenger. So if 1000 NUC were collected for a 10 000 mile trip, carrier A gets 100 NUC for flying the first segment that was 1000 miles long. I recall OS stopping to fly INN-FRA to feed LH since the base fare on some tickets was so low they only got 20-30€/pax they transported into FRA to connect to a longhaul flight that had a basefare of 200-300€. YQ is kept by the issuing/plating carrier, so it doesn't matter.
Old May 14, 2012, 6:39 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Thanks, and very good luck to you.

(Are we expecting to see LX 'have a word' with everyone? I wouldn't think that's feasible...Considering all the airlines these tickets were purchased through (DL/SA/EK/etc)*, I guess it's a case by case basis - and waiting for the dust to settle a little more).

*To the google form statistics gatherer: how many airlines issued tickets in the data you have so far?
Old May 14, 2012, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Oh my! This thread is more exciting than Geraldo Rivera's "The Mystery of Al Capone's Vaults"!
Old May 14, 2012, 6:47 am

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay out of pocket in terms of getting to RGN and back? Is LX/TG reimbursing you for this, and if not, are you pursuing this?

Thanks
Old May 14, 2012, 6:50 am

Update:

That you are. Many thanks
Old May 14, 2012, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
If they're letting you start travel on the ticket then they certainly would seem to have agreed to hld up their end of the contract for travel that you entered into with them. If the ticket is to a destination in the US then any subsequent change to the fare would absolutely be in violation if the new DOT rules.
Old May 14, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: * A
this is exciting.... I am not flying the route but this has to be the most fun thread on FT for me since it's launch
Old May 14, 2012, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Hope everything goes well, forumpersona999. Looking forward to updates.

I've purchased two tix through Vayama: one KE stock, one NH stock. No word on any reinstatement yet, and I can't figure out how to check the status myself, as I'm not a SkyPass member.
You can certainly try web check-in on Korean Air's site. You can't see the whole itin, but you should see something there.
Old May 14, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
Originally Posted by Tigersan
Maybe I'm not seeing the picture correctly from my iPhone.
Did you book coach all the way?
It was booked in biz but after cancellation, it was downgraded to coach

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.