Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
Doesn't the time and energy involved in suing over this just end up decreasing the overall deal? If one can fly these flights EASILY without a significant time/suing ordeal, it would make sense, but from the discussion I'm seeing....

Unless the ticket is $500 or less (or even less maybe), you can probably just buy miles and travel to Asia for the same amount of $ you will invest in this, considering placement flights and such required......don't forget, you are probably burning (conservative estimate) 40,000 miles to get there, so that's a value of about $500 (very conservative), then you have the hours put in (probably a lot if you really want to win), and then you will have to go to Burma for the flight, which is a lot more hours, and probably isn't the routing you wanted.

I can fly in C to Asia several times for $1320 courtesy of DL's 100% share promo, which will probably be repeated. The US Grand Slam promotion also earned me a C flight to Asia for like $600. I recommend doing this for all of your family members, and then you will have several $600 C flights to Asia.

Why waste your time over this when it's not even a desired destination or routing and the financial investment is significant. Typical not-doing-your-accounting-homework-before-making-investment situation here.....
None of your suggestions are mileage or status earning. Some of these itineraries will earn the miles it took to position. Look at the title of the forum, the nature of the overall website, and just accept that some folks want to pursue this and get it honored. If that bothers you, exit the thread. To some of us, this is fun.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:29 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
I'll bet DOT will assert jurisdiction as long as the ticket touches the USA. Section 399.88 applies to "any seller of scheduled air transportation within, to, or from, the United States" and includes US and foreign air carriers, travel agents, including online travel agencies, and tour operators.

Online complaint form here:
http://airconsumer.dot.gov/escomplaint/es.cfm

EVERYONE needs to submit a complaint if they've had a ticket cancelled.
Done and quoted 399.88. My ticket was RGN-BKK-ICN-LAX straight through without stopovers, so was direct transportation to the US. I guess you could argue if there was a stopover somewhere outside the US (like BKK, ICN or SIN) that they could reprice the RGN-XXX segments. But in cases like mine I believe it is pretty air tight as written.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by skunker
Do you work for DL or just have a vested interest in their success?

lol^
Old May 3, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by yyzjake
I doubt I can get a AI F / CX J / SQ J / MH J tour around Asia for $1300, but I think the real reason is probably that it's a hobby, not an investment.
You can....

I'm in on this too, hoping it works out, but I can't believe that suing is the solution here. The main issue is that probably 5,000 of these tickets were sold, otherwise they'd surely honor it.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by seanp7
None of your suggestions are mileage earning. Some of these itineraries will earn the miles it took to position. Look at the title of the forum, the nature of the overall website, and just accept that some folks want to pursue this and get it honored. If that bothers you, exit the thread.
How are you getting to RGN? How many miles are you spending vs earning?

I'm not saying it isn't fun. I bought one of the tickets. Suing and wasting endless hours of time over it isn't fun, and having lots of money that is mine tied up also isn't fun.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by eloraculo
Does the prohibition on post-purchase price increases in section 399.88(a) apply in the situation where a carrier mistakenly offers an airfare due to a computer problem or human error and a consumer purchases the ticket at that fare before the carrier is able to fix the mistake?
Section 399.88(a) states that it is an unfair and deceptive practice for any seller of scheduled air transportation within, to, or from the United States, or of a tour or tour component that includes scheduled air transportation within, to, or from the United States, to increase the price of that air transportation to a consumer after the air transportation has been purchased by the consumer, except in the case of a government-imposed tax or fee and only if the passenger is advised of a possible increase before purchasing a ticket. A purchase occurs when the full amount agreed upon has been paid by the consumer. Therefore, if a consumer purchases a fare and that consumer receives confirmation (such as a confirmation email and/or the purchase appears on their credit card statement or online account summary) of their purchase, then the seller of air transportation cannot increase the price of that air transportation to that consumer, even when the fare is a “mistake.”

A contract of carriage provision that reserves the right to cancel such ticketed purchases or reserves the right to raise the fare cannot legalize the practice described above. The Enforcement Office would consider any contract of carriage provision that attempts to relieve a carrier of the prohibition against post-purchase price increase to be an unfair and deceptive practice in violation of 49 U.S.C. § 41712.
How can we get the posting to appear in the first page?

I am afraid that it will get lost at the speed this thread is moving.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
What's everyone's thoughts on using the DOT complaint process for a ticket that doesn't originate or terminate in the US, but was issued by a US TA?

Vayama cancelled my RGN-BKK-ICN-YVR ticket, however I do have a copy of the e-ticket receipt from Airtrade International (Vayama) in California, as well as a copy of the credit card charge from Airtrade. Would the DOT ruling apply as the TA was US based?

Adrian
Old May 3, 2012, 3:35 pm

I'm not going to argue this, I will get teamed up on by others and surely lose
Old May 3, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA ExecP

I'm not saying it isn't fun. I bought one of the tickets. Suing and wasting endless hours of time over it isn't fun, and having lots of money that is mine tied up also isn't fun.
I'm not taking any sides here, but I really don't understand why people think its so difficult to get to RGN. It's 30k miles to fly to BKK/KUL on *A, and a $65 dollar Air Asia flight to RGN. Not really a break the bank investment at the rate most of us earn miles.

And, why wouldn't someone want to go to RGN? It's not that far out of the way to catch a flight home from SE Asia.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So let's say the DOT finds KE to be in violation. Then what? Have they ever compelled an airline to make it right to the consumer, in any circumstance? Don't they typically just fine the airline and all parties move on?

I know this may be the first case of being in violation of this specific rule, but the DOT certainly has a way that they deal with violations in general. I don't remember hearing of the DOT compelling an airline to fly someone.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Doesn't the time and energy involved in suing over this just end up decreasing the overall deal? If one can fly these flights EASILY without a significant time/suing ordeal, it would make sense, but from the discussion I'm seeing....
That's what class actions are for! Surely there's a plaintiff's lawyer in Northern California willing to take this case against Vayama and Korean Air.

Thank you for the tip about the DOT complaint possibility and the new regulation. I filed a DOT complaint. But the response indicated that the DOT doesn't actually do anything to resolve the complaint; they just inventory the complaints for statistical purposes.

Last edited by MegatopLover; May 3, 2012 at 3:58 pm
Old May 3, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold

For 2 billion+ people, RGN is a short flight. For those elsewhere - maybe they use miles and make them up with status and RDM's.

At this point I don't think anyone had sued nor wasted "endless hours". That's my point.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
just got the cancellation email from vayama for the RGN-BKK-ICN-SFO rounting involving KE F. what should be the process going forward from here in light of the new rule?

is it a waste of time sending the rule to vayama, or should i just file the DOT complaint form and deal with it through there?
Old May 3, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
deleted

Last edited by pushmyredbutton; May 5, 2012 at 3:00 pm
Old May 3, 2012, 3:42 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Fritz_Blitz
What's everyone's thoughts on using the DOT complaint process for a ticket that doesn't originate or terminate in the US, but was issued by a US TA?

Vayama cancelled my RGN-BKK-ICN-YVR ticket, however I do have a copy of the e-ticket receipt from Airtrade International (Vayama) in California, as well as a copy of the credit card charge from Airtrade. Would the DOT ruling apply as the TA was US based?

Adrian
Taken straight from a DOT PowerPoint outlining the changes:

§ 399.88 applies to any seller of scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States

- US and Foreign air carriers
- Travel agents, including Online Travel Agencies
- Tour operators

I'd say you have a case there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.