FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   [FARE GONE] TACA :NYC-SAL-LIMA-MVD (Montevideo, Uruguay) $459 ai T (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1325441-fare-gone-taca-nyc-sal-lima-mvd-montevideo-uruguay-459-ai-t.html)

EmailKid Mar 26, 2012 10:22 am

Originally Posted by VisaW (Post 18275805)
55 minute layover in LIM and 70 minutes in SAL. All the same airline. You're saying we should be concerned?

I've only flown into and out of LIM, so can't help you there, but SAL is one of the easiest airports in the world to change planes. Even did a CO to TA once, and it was no problem as you just stay inside and don't go through any security unless you are leaving the airport (as of five years ago or so, haven't done it lately). And very cheap duty free :D

EmailKid

ck102 Mar 26, 2012 11:04 am

Re: transit--With a little over 5 hours in Lima, would it be worth it to try to go out to the city?

puchalskir Mar 26, 2012 11:13 am

I'm doing the MVD-LIM-SAL leg with the 55min layover in LIM in October.

Would love if the first person to do this route would post their experience!

Rich

EmailKid Mar 26, 2012 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by ck102 (Post 18276136)
Re: transit--With a little over 5 hours in Lima, would it be worth it to try to go out to the city?

Takes about half hour to get into the city, but depending on time of day am told traffic can be horrendous.

Also, define get into the city. There's touristy Miraflores, which is further than downtown where many of the historic sites are, but it's not really a great city for strolling around.

And don't forget the long lines people have posted about to bet back in.

EmailKid

gotofly Mar 26, 2012 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 18276561)

Originally Posted by ck102 (Post 18276136)

Takes about half hour to get into the city, but depending on time of day am told traffic can be horrendous.

Also, define get into the city. There's touristy Miraflores, which is further than downtown where many of the historic sites are, but it's not really a great city for strolling around.

EmailKid

I went to Lima during thanksgiving and I would not advice to go out if u have only 5 hours
The immigration lines are long and traffic is a nuisance if you can add stop over for one night it will be worth it

ck102 Mar 26, 2012 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 18276561)

EmailKid

Thanks for that. Yeah, we land at 4pm on Saturday and fly again at 9:30pm--I wanted to see downtown, but I think it's too risky. Unfortunately, I can't change the itinerary to include a stopover anymore...

RooseveltL Mar 26, 2012 5:09 pm

LIM airport has a lot of merchants and shops.

I found the immigration arrival lines long and unorganize on a Friday 10pm but more reasonable on a Saturday with maybe 30 minutes to clear.

If connecting on the same airline - I wouldn't be fearful as they must know how long it takes to clear and transfer luggage.

No offense to LIMA but not much to see besides a downtown area and tons of restaurants. Traffic can be long/slow (even at night) and maybe not worth the risk for the payoff.

EmailKid Mar 26, 2012 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by ck102 (Post 18278202)
Thanks for that. Yeah, we land at 4pm on Saturday ...

In that case even less reason to go, as attractions will be closed by the time you get to them, and that close to the equator it gets dark just after 6 p.m., so kinda dark for sightseeing - which there's not a lot to begin with as RooseveltL alludes to in post above.

EmailKid

VisaW Mar 27, 2012 12:09 pm

Skip a leg?

Here's one more question: If I book a trip that's JFK-LIM-MVD-LIM-JFK, can I skip the LIM-MVD-LIM and just stay in Peru and get on my LIM-JFK flight home?

EmailKid Mar 27, 2012 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by VisaW (Post 18283223)
Here's one more question: If I book a trip that's JFK-LIM-MVD-LIM-JFK, can I skip the LIM-MVD-LIM and just stay in Peru and get on my LIM-JFK flight home?

NO.

They would cancel the rest of the itenerary and you'd have to get back on your own.

This type of question has been asked many a time, and a long, long time ago was possible. Today, not so much :(

EmailKid

VisaW Mar 27, 2012 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 18283342)
NO.

This is an unfortunate answer. :(

But thank you for setting me straight.

IncaFlyer Mar 27, 2012 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by puchalskir (Post 18276193)
I'm doing the MVD-LIM-SAL leg with the 55min layover in LIM in October.

Would love if the first person to do this route would post their experience!

Rich

Have not done this route, but have done an international transit in Lima. It is all very easy with a special transit lane to re-clear you into the international terminal, with no need (at least if you don't have any bags) to visit migrations!

RooseveltL Jun 30, 2012 1:42 pm

UA has updated mileage credit for both Taca & Avianca (as both are fully in the Star Alliance network) so I believe those on this deal will earn at minimum 50% EQM and 1 pt per segment.

loverofpeace Jun 30, 2012 5:45 pm

Is this still live? I'd definitely be interested in booking!

BiziBB Jun 30, 2012 6:03 pm

I'll move this to 'fare gone' and MR Discussion forum, since the thread is so old and there has been no activity here in terms of discussing the fare itself.

Cheers, BiziBB, Moderator Mileage Run forums