Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] TK: IST-MGQ (Mogadishu, Somalia) $263/€199 ai; 5750miles; 4,6cpm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] TK: IST-MGQ (Mogadishu, Somalia) $263/€199 ai; 5750miles; 4,6cpm

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:13 pm

don't bash lahore

Someone pointed to "FARE GONE) AA/GULF : HOUSTON-LAHORE (LHE) Rt. from $497 a.i." as a more dangerous run.

This is fallacious. Western Pakistan is no paradise; a fair chunk of it is no-go; but Islamabad and Lahore are relatively secure, and life goes on. Yes, westerners have gotten kidnapped in Lahore, and there is sporadic violence, but compared to the rest of the country, it is lovely... and not in the same league as Mogadishu... we're talking high school baseball v. major leagues. And it has attractions and cultural interest to rival anything in India (of which it was once a part).

In fact, I did this run - Lahore plus India. It was fabulous; I never felt insecure.

Last edited by nschloss123; Mar 8, 2012 at 12:28 pm
Old Mar 8, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Depart Thu, Mar 29 KBL to MGQ – 2 stops 20h 30m

This flight leaves on Thursday and arrives on Friday.
Turkish Airlines – Flight 707 5h 45m
Take-off Thu 12:00p KBL Kabul, Afghanistan
Landing Thu 4:15p IST Istanbul, Turkey
Coach | Airbus A320-100/200 (Narrow-body Jet) | 5h 45m
Connection IST Istanbul, Turkey
7h 00m
Turkish Airlines – Flight 686 4h 05m
Take-off Thu 11:15p IST Istanbul, Turkey
Landing Fri 3:20a KRT Khartoum, Sudan
Coach | Boeing 737-800 (Narrow-body Jet) | 4h 05m
Connection KRT Khartoum, Sudan
0h 50m
Turkish Airlines – Flight 686 2h 50m
Take-off Fri 4:10a KRT Khartoum, Sudan
Landing Fri 7:00a MGQ Muqdisho, Somalia
Coach | Boeing 737-800 (Narrow-body Jet) | 2h 50m

economy – $1061

Turkish Airlines - we go to all the places you want to be!
Dude, spend some time in Khartoum. I've been there a couple of times -- it's a very pleasant city, and there are few places I've felt safer. nothing like the border provinces where the troubles are.

There are lots of Somalis in MSP. Most of the catering folks and cab drivers, it seems. Might be a good option for them.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
keeping an open mind as FlyerTalkers

I'm sure on the other side of the world, they are seeing IST - LAX and going "wow...anyone wanna go the most dangerous MR?" ......Im sure Mogadishu has its good and bad....like anywhere else in the world...
Old Mar 8, 2012, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
] it's a very pleasant city, and there are few places I've felt safer.
Oh come on.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Dude, spend some time in Khartoum. I've been there a couple of times -- it's a very pleasant city, and there are few places I've felt safer. nothing like the border provinces where the troubles are.
Certainly better than KBL or MCQ, but given the State Department warnings, I still think I'll give it a pass right now.

Originally Posted by US Dept. of State
Demonstrations occur periodically, mostly in Khartoum. You should keep a low profile, vary your time and routes of travel, exercise care while driving, and ensure that your passport and Sudanese visa are always valid and up to date.

We recommend that all U.S. citizens visiting or residing in Sudan maintain safe haven plans, as well as plans to evacuate the country on short notice should the situation warrant.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...w/tw_5642.html

It was more the juxtaposition of all three of these pleasant places on one PNR that made me chuckle.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Oh come on.
Haha, I got a chuckle out of that also.

I'm all for correcting stereotypes, but people have a penchant for hyperbole when doing do.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by nschloss123
Mogadishu is one of the VERY FEW travel opportunities I would reject outright. I'd class it with... Baghdad, Kandahar, FATA (Pakistan) levels of silliness.

On the other hand, Somaliland is supposed to be quite nice ... but the way in is via Addis or Djibouti.

"WARNING: Mogadishu is regarded as the most lawless and dangerous city on Earth and is currently experiencing a major food and refugee crisis. It is highly dangerous for leisure or tourism."

http://wikitravel.org/en/Mogadishu#b

I cannot find any chain hotel there? No Hilton, no Starwood, no Hyatt... That is suspect
Old Mar 8, 2012, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Oh come on.
I know people who have been safe walking around part of Khartoum at night but had guns pulled on them in the Georgetown area of DC not only by criminals but also by cops, if different, at night.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I know people who have been safe walking around part of Khartoum at night but had guns pulled on them in the Georgetown area of DC not only by criminals but also by cops, if different, at night.
Exactly. I'm actually not kidding at all about Khartoum.

My employer gives me this ranting paranoid security briefing every time I go to Paris; For KRT pretty much said "do wherever you want (except take photos), no one ever has problems here."

YMMV.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
This begs the question...is there any place in the world now that would otherwise be a logical destination for a global-alliance carrier but is not due to instability/unrest/political barriers, etc. It seems like MGQ was one of the last.

Kabul? Check
Baghdad? Check
Tehran? Check
Pyongyang? Check (albeit barely)
Havana? Check
Tripoli? Check
Damascus? Check (for now, at least)
Mogadishu? Check

Obviously not every national capital and/or country is served by a global-alliance carrier, but in virtually every case it's because the route would not be economically feasible, not because politics/war/unrest etc. is keeping them at bay.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
EMy employer gives me this ranting paranoid security briefing every time I go to Paris; For KRT pretty much said "do wherever you want (except take photos), no one ever has problems here."
We must have different employers. I've never been to KRT, but imagine as long as you're smart it's relatively safe. That said, we have a million restrictions when there for work when and where we can go. DC? Nope, if we wanna go to Barry Farms it's all good.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I don't doubt it. But "there are few places I've felt safer"? That can't be true, IMHO.

(And I agree completely about DC safety.)
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA,DL,flying blue
Actually the AK47 is the welcome gift when you arrive @ mogadishu

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 8, 2012 at 9:23 pm Reason: duplicate
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MGQ2IAD
Actually the AK47 is the welcome gift when you arrive @ mogadishu
And your welcome gift to FT from me is this post.
I might need to see if I trust you with an AK47 first.
I like the M16 better.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:20 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I don't doubt it. But "there are few places I've felt safer"? That can't be true, IMHO.

(And I agree completely about DC safety.)
+1 OP must not have been to Tokyo, just for one example

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.