Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA Jan MR for explat; value of SWU/eVIP?

Old Dec 16, 11, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

This would be my first MR, and planning to go for EXP, though I've never had status with an airline. The numbers I've calculated work out as:

9 rdtrips, $1975 total, mainly ORD-SFO but also a couple ORD-LAX to break up the monotony.

99,684 EQM (2.01 cpm)
76,609 RDM (2.52 cpm)

my dilemma is this: I typically don't fly enough longhaul flights to make good use of the 8 eVIPs, and would probably end up trading most of them in the coupon connection for miles to bring down the ''cost'' of the MR. if that was the case, assuming they don't expire until Feb 2014, what can be expected as a typical fair price (in AA/SPG/UR, etc.) per SWU/eVIP? 25,000?
Old Dec 16, 11, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Ken 7

Originally Posted by ken7 View Post
This would be my first MR, and planning to go for EXP, though I've never had status with an airline. The numbers I've calculated work out as:

9 rdtrips, $1975 total, mainly ORD-SFO but also a couple ORD-LAX to break up the monotony.

99,684 EQM (2.01 cpm)
76,609 RDM (2.52 cpm)

my dilemma is this: I typically don't fly enough longhaul flights to make good use of the 8 eVIPs, and would probably end up trading most of them in the coupon connection for miles to bring down the ''cost'' of the MR. if that was the case, assuming they don't expire until Feb 2014, what can be expected as a typical fair price (in AA/SPG/UR, etc.) per SWU/eVIP? 25,000?
Some things here,
1) do not NOT DO ORD-LAX, (1745)as it less than ORD-SFO. (1846) and cost the same
2) Get yourself some COSTCO gift card ($300 gift card for $270) and buy trips, instead of paying $1974.60 for your 9 trips, cost will be $1777.14
3) SWU earned in 2012 will expire 02/14. Their exchange value may differ depending on when they are offered. I've seen offers of 10k miles, I was once offered 5k miles. I opted giving it to a relative of mine.

If your main factor in doing the MR to achieve EXP is what you can get for the 8 SWU's in exchange, keep your expectations low, in case things do not pan out in your favor.
Old Dec 16, 11, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Good call on the Costco, I was hoping to do that if my local one has them in stock. But only 5/10k for an eVIP? That seems remarkably low to me, my thought was 20-25 if there's a decent amount of time until expiration. Also, eVIPs don't expire when the status expires? I guess i assumed they'd last through Feb 2014 if earned this year.
Old Dec 16, 11, 10:41 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
There is a sticky post in CC with previous trade values.

For long expiring SWUs, the value is closer to 25k than 10k.
Old Dec 17, 11, 2:54 am

Good call on the Costco, I was hoping to do that if my local one has them in stock. But only 5/10k for an eVIP? That seems remarkably low to me, my thought was 20-25 if there's a decent amount of time until expiration. Also, eVIPs don't expire when the status expires? I guess i assumed they'd last through Feb 2014 if earned this year.
They do expire when status expires (if no requalification). They expire Feb. 2013 if you got them this year. Requalify in 2012, get another 8, those expire in Feb. 2014.
Old Dec 18, 11, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Just a quick note: according to the AAdvantage T&C, eVIPs may not be bought, sold, traded, exchanged, or bartered for any kind of compensation, including but not limited to RDMs. eVIPs may be GIFTED outright to any passenger(s) you designate, but you may not receive anything in return from them.

AA has an entire office of corporate security staff whose job it is to investigate suspected cases of fraud involving miles, upgrades, and such. I wouldn't risk it. Use the eVIPs yourself or gift them outright to family or friends. IMHO.

www.aa.com/vpupdate
Old Feb 5, 12, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

99,684 EQM (2.01 cpm)
76,609 RDM (2.52 cpm)

IMO EVIPs are worth 20k in miles or about $200-250 in cash.
Especially since the eVIPs i can use on longhaul routes such as GRU, GIG, PVG, PEK.....
Old Feb 7, 12, 8:45 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by arollins View Post
Some things here,
1) do not NOT DO ORD-LAX, (1745)as it less than ORD-SFO. (1846) and cost the same
2) Get yourself some COSTCO gift card ($300 gift card for $270) and buy trips, instead of paying $1974.60 for your 9 trips, cost will be $1777.14
3) SWU earned in 2012 will expire 02/14. Their exchange value may differ depending on when they are offered. I've seen offers of 10k miles, I was once offered 5k miles. I opted giving it to a relative of mine.

If your main factor in doing the MR to achieve EXP is what you can get for the 8 SWU's in exchange, keep your expectations low, in case things do not pan out in your favor.
Two Points:

SFO seems to have more delays. You do earn 200 miles more per R T.

Costco in Niles IL has a lot of AA GC available. I used them to do the MR.
Old Feb 10, 12, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by arollins View Post
Some things here,

It doesn't cost the same.....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: