Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA DEQM in JAN and my 5 MR's...how did i do?

Old Dec 14, 11, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, Hyatt GP Diamond, United 1k, Alaska MVP Gold

I am sure everyone is on this promotion like no tomorrow. I finally after spending hours last night and putting 5 itineraries on hold purchased them today.

Jan 7 - 8: LGA-DFW-PDX-DFW-LGA = 12,020 EQM

Jan 14 - 15: LGA-DFW-SEA-DFW-SEA-LGA = 12,192 EQM

Jan 21: LGA-DFW-LAX-DFW-LGA = 12,966 EQM (DEQ11 and DEQAA)

Jan 23: LGA-DFW-LAX-DFW-LGA = 12,966 EQM (DEQ11 and DEQAA)

Jan 28: LGA-DFW-LAX-DFW-LGA = 12,966 EQM (DEQ11 and DEQAA)

--------------------------------------
Total EQM: 63,110; Total RDM: 63,110.
--------------------------------------
Cost: $1511.80.

AA Vouchers: $800.

Out of Pocket: $711.8

CPM: 2.4 cents per mile for both EQM and RDM.

I am sure alot of you have better numbers and can probably do a lot better. But love to hear if i did a good job?
Old Dec 14, 11, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
How do you get:

Milecalc shows it at 10496. Are you double dipping on DFW-LAX-DFW? I don't think it'll work that way. I think you'll come up 7410 EQM shorter than your numbers.

Still, 55700 EQM for $1511 isn't bad.

My Jan vacations (staying more than just quick turn) are:
SEA-DFW-LHR-PRG-LHR-DFW-SEA
SEA-DFW-BOS-DFW-SEA
SEA-DFW-LHR-BUD-FRA-DFW-SEA

70456 mi. Cost of $1900 but all paid for with vouchers. Already had em boooked before DEQM so nice extra bonus there.
Old Dec 15, 11, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, Hyatt GP Diamond, United 1k, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mikelat View Post
How do you get:

Milecalc shows it at 10496. Are you double dipping on DFW-LAX-DFW? I don't think it'll work that way. I think you'll come up 7410 EQM shorter than your numbers.

Still, 55700 EQM for $1511 isn't bad.

My Jan vacations (staying more than just quick turn) are:
SEA-DFW-LHR-PRG-LHR-DFW-SEA
SEA-DFW-BOS-DFW-SEA
SEA-DFW-LHR-BUD-FRA-DFW-SEA

70456 mi. Cost of $1900 but all paid for with vouchers. Already had em boooked before DEQM so nice extra bonus there.
If you take a look at this thread on AA an AA rep confirmed the following:

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines View Post
Just confirmed that the DEQ11 and DEQAA promotions can be combined.
hence i am assuming for all itineraries that include the DFW/ORD-LAX/SFO legs would earn 3x EQM and 2x RDm and the rest of the itin would earn 2X EQM.
Old Dec 15, 11, 7:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
That would only be if you are registered and a resident of TX, IL, or CA... just in case others are looking at this.

Originally Posted by WrLdTrvLnIndian View Post
If you take a look at this thread on AA an AA rep confirmed the following:

hence i am assuming for all itineraries that include the DFW/ORD-LAX/SFO legs would earn 3x EQM and 2x RDm and the rest of the itin would earn 2X EQM.
Old Dec 15, 11, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by imapilotaz View Post
That would only be if you are registered and a resident of TX, IL, or CA... just in case others are looking at this.
yes you are correct. In my case, i have a home in Los Angeles as well, so i had my address changed to reflect my home in LA to make avail the perk of this offer to me
Old Dec 15, 11, 7:08 pm

yes you are correct. In my case, i have a home in Los Angeles as well, so i had my address changed to reflect my home in LA to make avail the perk of this offer to me
I wonder how this works. Does your address have to be in LA at the time they started the promo period? or just when you hit the "register" button?

But your calculations and MRs seem about right. Collectively between my wife and I, we will have about 60k EQM for about the same price, it's just that it's 30k me and 30k her, so it sounds like we're going at the same rate. You're probably higher.
Old Dec 16, 11, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin View Post
I wonder how this works. Does your address have to be in LA at the time they started the promo period? or just when you hit the "register" button?

But your calculations and MRs seem about right. Collectively between my wife and I, we will have about 60k EQM for about the same price, it's just that it's 30k me and 30k her, so it sounds like we're going at the same rate. You're probably higher.
just when you hit the register button. you can register at any point just make sure its prior to getting on that flight.
Old Dec 16, 11, 8:04 am

I'm sitting on 9 flights on hold with a total of $1646.60, netting 79,056 EQMs and 52,704 usable miles, which equates to $.020828 (if my math is right). I haven't used any discount codes yet, so it might reduce my cost a little bit more. I'm thinking about using my Cap One Venture points to reimburse me for the purchase, so that will come down to about $500 out of pocket. Plus i'm sitting on $328 worth of AA gift cards that I bought at a 9% discount on plastic jungle.

Still can't decide if i want to pull the trigger...i have no status, so all of my flights will be in the back, and i have some weekends i'm leaving on friday night and returning on sunday after 3 roundtrips. The longest wait i have in SFO is 3.5 hours, so that ain't bad. But the draw is I will definitely be able to use the EVIPs in the next two years, and I think that just by itself is worthwhile for this.
Old Dec 16, 11, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21 View Post
I'm sitting on 9 flights on hold with a total of $1646.60, netting 79,056 EQMs and 52,704 usable miles, which equates to $.020828 (if my math is right). I haven't used any discount codes yet, so it might reduce my cost a little bit more. I'm thinking about using my Cap One Venture points to reimburse me for the purchase, so that will come down to about $500 out of pocket. Plus i'm sitting on $328 worth of AA gift cards that I bought at a 9% discount on plastic jungle.

Still can't decide if i want to pull the trigger...i have no status, so all of my flights will be in the back, and i have some weekends i'm leaving on friday night and returning on sunday after 3 roundtrips. The longest wait i have in SFO is 3.5 hours, so that ain't bad. But the draw is I will definitely be able to use the EVIPs in the next two years, and I think that just by itself is worthwhile for this.
you definitely want to make sure that you will be using the status to its fullest or at least enough to justify the mileage runs.

Mind if i ask what are your routings.

I have a 6th one on hold that would bring the total up by another $321 and add 12966 EQM and RDM miles for a total of 76076, but not sure yet. I think 5 itself is a lot and i'll def have more travel in the year to make the 37k i would need. But its tempting.
Old Dec 16, 11, 10:17 am

you definitely want to make sure that you will be using the status to its fullest or at least enough to justify the mileage runs.

Mind if i ask what are your routings.

I have a 6th one on hold that would bring the total up by another $321 and add 12966 EQM and RDM miles for a total of 76076, but not sure yet. I think 5 itself is a lot and i'll def have more travel in the year to make the 37k i would need. But its tempting.
My routing is simply DFW-SFO-DFW roundtrips. $99 each way. I'm looking at doing a DFW-SFO-ORD-SFO-DFW which is actually a little better. What i'm worried about is i'm not sure i'll get TEQM for all those routes...T&C's state only one credit per roundtrip, yet AA CS said i would...but i can't trust one CS. The difference is booking two roundtrips at 8784 per roundtrip, which nets 17,568 total. If i can do the ORD routing and get TEQM for them all, it gets me 20,318 for exactly the same price as the two roundtrips DFW-SFO above.
Old Dec 16, 11, 10:25 am
Original Poster

My routing is simply DFW-SFO-DFW roundtrips. $99 each way. I'm looking at doing a DFW-SFO-ORD-SFO-DFW which is actually a little better. What i'm worried about is i'm not sure i'll get TEQM for all those routes...T&C's state only one credit per roundtrip, yet AA CS said i would...but i can't trust one CS. The difference is booking two roundtrips at 8784 per roundtrip, which nets 17,568 total. If i can do the ORD routing and get TEQM for them all, it gets me 20,318 for exactly the same price as the two roundtrips DFW-SFO above.
i would email AA CS through the website and get an answer. If they say yes i would book it, that way in the case that you do not get the credit for it. you an email to prove it. This happened to me in 2010 during the RDU DEQM and an email from AAdvantage CS saved me and got me all the credits.
Old Dec 16, 11, 10:27 am

i would email AA CS through the website and get an answer. If they say yes i would book it, that way in the case that you do not get the credit for it. you an email to prove it. This happened to me in 2010 during the RDU DEQM and an email from AAdvantage CS saved me and got me all the credits.
Yeah..i did that just now...and I'm going to call from my work phone (it's recorded and I can pull the calls). How fast does email CS get back to you? I don't want the price to change, hence why I might throw in a phone call as well.

Edit: So, i called and confirmed that I would get the mileage by this routing. Went to book it, and it wouldn't allow me, once i clicked on submit, it said the prices and flights were no longer available. I go back, search again, get the same result after trying to submit the request to go through the booking process. Shows me the flights and price, but won't allow it to be booked. Grrr.

Last edited by Mrgolfer21; Dec 16, 11 at 11:03 am
Old Dec 16, 11, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
Yeah..i did that just now...and I'm going to call from my work phone (it's recorded and I can pull the calls). How fast does email CS get back to you? I don't want the price to change, hence why I might throw in a phone call as well.

Edit: So, i called and confirmed that I would get the mileage by this routing. Went to book it, and it wouldn't allow me, once i clicked on submit, it said the prices and flights were no longer available. I go back, search again, get the same result after trying to submit the request to go through the booking process. Shows me the flights and price, but won't allow it to be booked. Grrr.
If the ticket is on hold, call Web Services and see if they can help with it.
Old Dec 16, 11, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by mikelat View Post
If the ticket is on hold, call Web Services and see if they can help with it.
I was actually trying to put it on hold, but it never allowed me to get to that point. Even now, it still shows the flights available...will try later and give them a call tonight if it doesn't work.
Old Dec 16, 11, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm in basically the same exact boat. But how are you getting your 9 flights for only $1646? mine looks like $1975. $219.40 apiece. Costco?

Last edited by ken7; Dec 16, 11 at 1:48 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: