Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

First Mileage Run over the Memorial Day Holiday

Old May 28, 11, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold 5 Star

It's been a while since I have posted on this site. I'm actually in the middle of my first ever mileage run as I am sitting in the Orange County Airport waiting for my next flight.

I have been a Gold Delta Medallion member for the past 4 years, however, due to a job change and reduced travel, I lost my Gold status and dropped down to Silver. As I have discovered, Silver basically gets you a pat on the back and some bonus mileage. I barely made Silver last year but only by donating to some charities which Delta gave MQM in return.

Since my job limits my travel to the east coast, it's extremely difficult for me to accumulate the segments or miles necessary to regain my status. So, after discussion with my wife (who is more than understanding), and rediscovering this website, I decided that I was going to come up with my own version of a mileage run. The only difference with my mileage run is that I will not make a multitude of connections and will do this within 12 hours.

After using some of the links in this section, I came up with a game plan that will allow me to regain my Gold status by September while at the same time getting some decent deals. Plus, I have some Delta credits that I have been able to apply to these trips which has reduced the cost significantly. Today, my travel is ATL-SNA-ATL. Tomorrow ATL-SEA-ATL. The good news is that I was upgraded for all segments of the Seattle flight tomorrow.

All of my future travels are on Saturday between the hours of 8 am and 9 pm ET.

The next segments in the upcoming months are:
June-LAX
July-LAX
August-SEA
September-SEA

I know this is a little different (and probably insane too!), but I am determined to get my status back!
Old May 29, 11, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, TSA PreCheck
It's our kind of crazy around here, you blend.
Old Jun 11, 11, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold 5 Star
I'm now on my June LAX MR. I was upgraded for the trip out but it's looking dicey for the trip back. Hopefully the future MRs will be upgraded as well but if not, at least I'll be in an exit row.
Old Jun 11, 11, 8:05 pm

Programs: HH Gold, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
At least you can sometimes get upgrades... I do MRs on UA/CO as a 2P and I pretty much never get UDU. UA doesn't even send mainline equipment from SFO/DEN to YYC.
Old Jul 21, 11, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gld, SPG Gld, Hyatt, PC, CBP Global Entry
AMike, you should have completed your July MR by now. Good luck. Just curious, can list the CPM for five runs (of course, before you applied your Delta credit). Thanks.
Old Jul 21, 11, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec, Avis Presidents Club
Hope you got some good deals... fares out of a hub, especially a fortress like ATL, are usually not conducive to mileage runs. Either way, hope you enjoyed your trip.