Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) CO/UA: HNL Sale (SFO $345, DEN $423, ORD $441, IAH $474)

(FARE GONE) CO/UA: HNL Sale (SFO $345, DEN $423, ORD $441, IAH $474)

Old May 24, 2011, 5:56 am

Programs: UA-Gold, BA-Gold
Originally Posted by tmm1012
Can someone comment on the UDU policies for CO on routes to Hawaii? I think I remember that EWR-HNL is not included in UDU, but it is my understanding that IAH-HNL would be included in UDU. I know things might change later on down the road, but please confirm or correct my current understanding.
Originally Posted by LornaV
Correct, EWR-HNL does NOT get UDU. But LAX-HNL does.
IAH-HNL non-stop does NOT get UDU. As with EWR-HNL, IAH-HNL is marketed as a BusinessFirst route, and therefore NO UDU/EUA. As stated, LAX-HNL flights DO get UDU/EUA
Old May 24, 2011, 6:27 am

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
A lot of dates over Christmas/New Year seem to be excluded.

E.g. any 2 night turn between the 10th Dec and the 7th Jan.
Old May 24, 2011, 6:53 am

Programs: UA-Gold, BA-Gold
From the UA fare rules:
[Seasonality]
PERMITTED 21MAY11 THROUGH 31MAY11 OR 01SEP11 THROUGH
18NOV11 OR 01DEC11 THROUGH 14DEC11 OR 01JAN12 THROUGH
08MAR12 OR 16APR12 THROUGH 30APR12 FOR EACH TRIP.
SEASON IS BASED ON TRIP DATE.
Old May 24, 2011, 7:19 am

It doesn't look like PHL is part of the deal, ~$800 is all I found. Oh well, EWR is close enough
Old May 24, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: *Alliance
Originally Posted by plj496
IAH-HNL non-stop does NOT get UDU. As with EWR-HNL, IAH-HNL is marketed as a BusinessFirst route, and therefore NO UDU/EUA. As stated, LAX-HNL flights DO get UDU/EUA
How would I find this out for other flights?
Old May 24, 2011, 7:38 am

Programs: United, Hilton Honors
Great deals, how long do you think this willl last?
Old May 24, 2011, 7:41 am

This just coincided perfectly with my wedding in Hawaii in Feb 2012. Booked myself and fiancee, my parents, my sister and bro-in-law... got 5 other couples to book. Awesome deal.
Old May 24, 2011, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the East Coast, I'd liook at this as a good vacation fare IF you are elite in the Star Alliance and can earn significant bonus miles. With 100% bonus, you'll earn about 20,000 miles, which at a penny a piece, reduces the real cost of your airfare to about $300. Unless you have more miles than you need, this is better than redeeming 40,000 miles for the trip. And you'll probably get a better routing and a better chance of an upgrade as far as California.

And 10,000 elite qualifying miles.

For non-elites, it's really only a deal for vacationers who don't know much about miles.

BTW, flying from the East Coast to Hawaii these days is annoying because there's generally no free food, and you'll be flying for about 12 hours. Be prepared to pony up for the not-always-good buy-on-board options, bring your own, or hope you have time at the airports to grab a bite to eat.
Old May 24, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: united airlines
Is this available on UA metal, as well as CO metal?
Old May 24, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: big pimpin'
Originally Posted by itsme
Is this available on UA metal, as well as CO metal?
Both.
Old May 24, 2011, 8:04 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM, SPG Platinum
Just booked ORD-HNL over labor day weekend for 478 ai. Awesome!
Old May 24, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
NYC/HNL for $500

Originally Posted by iahphx
From the East Coast, I'd look at this as a good vacation fare IF you are elite in the Star Alliance and can earn significant bonus miles....For non-elites, it's really only a deal for vacationers who don't know much about miles.
I may be naive about this, but it seems like 5.0 CPM straight up is nothing to sneeze at, at least these days, and that $500 east coast to HNL is a pretty rare deal, even for elites.

Am I missing out on something here? Should I be waiting for 3.0 CPM deals that may be upcoming (???) or are there tricks that make this nothing special?? Hard to believe that this is an offer that should be ignored...
Old May 24, 2011, 8:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

This is a great deal regardless of elite status.. especially for people who fly out of regional / non-hub airports. Which means that if you are flying out of a hub city, book now before the connecting traffic takes up the discount fare availability.
Old May 24, 2011, 8:35 am

Thanks. I just booked 6 of these (3 for me 3 for SO). May book a 4th today.

SO and I usually go to Hi 4 times a year but this year we could never get fares for less than 450 so this is a sigh of relief.
Old May 24, 2011, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pfbloom
I may be naive about this, but it seems like 5.0 CPM straight up is nothing to sneeze at, at least these days, and that $500 east coast to HNL is a pretty rare deal, even for elites.

Am I missing out on something here? Should I be waiting for 3.0 CPM deals that may be upcoming (???) or are there tricks that make this nothing special?? Hard to believe that this is an offer that should be ignored...
Almost every week, there is a transcon deal on UA and CO out of PHL for less than 5 cpm. They are obviously less common at NYC -- airlines don't generally load "retaliatory fares" from their hubs -- but they exist. Indeed, there's a 5 cpm deal to California from NYC right now on CO/UA.

Candidly, as a CO plat, I don't think the status is worth acquiring at 5 cpm -- unless you're travelling to actually get somewhere (and Hawaii is a good place to get to -- and stay awhile!). If you earn the status, your odds of getting upgraded on future 5 cpm flights are not particularly high. If you just want a free ticket somewhere, go get a credit card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.