Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) DL: DTW-HND &others $579 a/i 4.5cpm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum

Thanks- this was helpful. Also found the Tokyo monorail schedule here:
http://www.tokyo-monorail.co.jp/engl...nce/index.html

Originally Posted by joejones
There's a good guide to HND ground transportation and area hotels here:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2430.html
Old May 21, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Great information thank you. The DTW flight gets in around 1030 so hopefully we will still make the midnight cutoff. It's looking like the direct buses to some of the hotels are the best deals at that time.
Old May 21, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Delta.dumb put me back into my original coach seats and I lost my original EC seats. I would go back and check your seat assignments if you are PM or DM and chose EC after booking.
Old May 21, 2011, 7:11 pm
2mg

I read the post on 44 being a good row of seats...

But what about EC seats? Does anyone have any thoughts on the best one in that bunch?
Old May 22, 2011, 3:59 pm

i jumped on this. cost me 588$ Leaving July 27th.

TYS-DTW-HND 5:15pm EST - 11:00PM
HND-DTW-TYS 6:55AM - 12PM EST

can't beat 1/3 off and a free domestic in double miles earned. Now like many of you i'm trying to figure out how to get transportation to/from the airport.
1hr after i booked the deal was dead for good. glad I jumped on this because I can now use my 65k w/United for an upcoming trip to Africa and cross Tokyo off my bucket list :-P

Last edited by fearziz; May 22, 2011 at 4:18 pm
Old May 23, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by anbhc
Anyone know the cost of getting from Haneda to Narita airport by train and the schedule? Arriving at 4:55am in Haneda on Sunday July 24th and departing on Monday July 25th at 6:55am and would prefer to stay in Narita for the day
Cheapest Airport to Airport is 1,590 yen. If you use the Skyliner from Nippori or Ueno its about 3,000 yen. A bit over 2 hours if you don't use the express. Schedule is quite frequent during the daytime... by the time you clear immigration and get to the train you'll be fine.

Keisei's website for Skyliner schedule
http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/skyliner/us/

All train schedules in Japan with cost
http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/
Old May 23, 2011, 2:17 pm

has anyone researched the best/cheapest method/place of Dollar to Yen currency conversion yet?
Old May 23, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
You're best bet is always using an ATM machine. (Also, Japan is much more of a cash-based society than the US)
Old May 23, 2011, 2:41 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TechMarauder
You're best bet is always using an ATM machine. (Also, Japan is much more of a cash-based society than the US)
Do places accept AMEX cards there?
Old May 23, 2011, 3:35 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Generally, no.
Old May 23, 2011, 6:44 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Generally, yes.
Old May 23, 2011, 7:07 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aau
Generally, no.
Originally Posted by joejones
Generally, yes.
Hahaha... anyone else? Maybe?
Old May 23, 2011, 7:33 pm

I'd say that 95% of places in Japan that take CCs will take AMEX. AMEX is big in Japan--you'll see counters pushing cards at the airport and possibly in the city as well. Its acceptance rate in Tokyo is probably higher than it is in many cheaper parts of the US.

One catch is that credit cards, in general, are a bit less ubiquitous here than they are in the US. You can always use cards at hotels and department stores, and most restaurants and supermarkets also take plastic, but you will usually need cash (or some kind of local prepaid card) for train tickets, convenience stores, fast food and other small items. Starbucks takes plastic here but McDonald's does not.
Old May 23, 2011, 8:30 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Don't count on your credit card working, especially if its from a smaller regional bank, MC,Visa, or Amex. I've travelled to Japan (Tokyo and otherwise) quite a few times over the years, and while most establishments that cater to foreigners take plastic, not all will take all credit cards. On my last trip, some of the subway/train stations didn't take foreign credit cards at all. Luckily for my fellow travelers, I had enough cash to buy tickets for everyone. We were in a hurry to catch the train too!
Old May 23, 2011, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by chunky649
On my last trip, some of the subway/train stations didn't take foreign credit cards at all.
That probably wasn't an issue with the card being foreign -- many ticket machines don't take credit cards at all, and some will only take credit cards affiliated with the operator of the train.

The main issue with foreign cards is that many ATMs will only take Japanese cards. Use post office, 7-11, Citibank or Shinsei ATMs and you should be OK (bring a couple of ATM and credit cards just to be sure).

I used my Visa and Amex cards from the States all the time here until I got a Japanese credit card. Never had a problem. Of course, as with any foreign travel, you should call up the credit card company in advance and tell them that you plan to use the card in Japan, so that it doesn't get deactivated by their automated fraud protection systems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.