Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) TK: HKG-IST-LAX $802 ai rt 2.4 cpm (Premium Econ)

(FARE GONE) TK: HKG-IST-LAX $802 ai rt 2.4 cpm (Premium Econ)

Old Nov 22, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Originally Posted by hotelmotel
What's your departure date?
Dec 21 HKG-IST 24th IST-LAX

they just called me back and luckily they managed to reinstate my entire ticket as they goofed up. Very good customer service.. very good that they called me to confirm everything is ok! Didn't even have to chase them like i would likely have to do with other carriers.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IC AMB
On my 4th trip through HKG, they wanted to see the credit card used for the booking...slightly annoying, since I don't carry it with me...

Had to call someone at home, and she took an image of the card and emailed it to me. Luckily someone was home, and HKG has wifi...but could've been stuck at HKG otherwise.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Hi All, we are doing our first run on this routing Dec 10th. We are coming into HKG via SFO on UA (arriving 8:08 local time, or 3 hours before TK departure). We will try for online checkin with TK before we leave SFO, but in the event we cannot, can anyone share their experience with the transfer desk (W1) at t-minus 3 hours before departure? Is the process seamless, do you have to go through security, etc? And it the Transfer Desk does not work, is 3 hours easy enough to clear immigration and check in the old fashion way?

We have carry on baggage only, and we are both *G.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 6:30 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Nevermind
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by yvr1971
... do you have to go through security, etc? And it the Transfer Desk does not work, is 3 hours easy enough to clear immigration and check in the old fashion way?

Yes and yes.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:06 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Hi All, we are doing our first run on this routing Dec 10th. We are coming into HKG via SFO on UA (arriving 8:08 local time, or 3 hours before TK departure). We will try for online checkin with TK before we leave SFO, but in the event we cannot, can anyone share their experience with the transfer desk (W1) at t-minus 3 hours before departure? Is the process seamless, do you have to go through security, etc? And it the Transfer Desk does not work, is 3 hours easy enough to clear immigration and check in the old fashion way?

I did this last week. Arrived around 6:50pm on SQ and waited in the transfer area until after 8:15pm. When no one from TK showed up I went landside and checked in there. According to the staff there the TK desk in the transfer area is supposed to open at 8pm. No security if you use the transfer desk, but 3hrs is plenty of time to go through immigration and come back through security anyway.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:46 am

Programs: marriott,spg gold,aa,alaska
Last week I arrived on an EK flight at 5.30pm at HKG . After collecting my luggage I went to Aisle D to the SATS Gateway counter to process my HK departure tax refund. Immediately to the right of the SATS counter I noticed a booth open for Turkish early check-in. No one was in line so I checked-in, got my boarding pass, my tax refund at Aisle E and was in the Thai lounge by 6.45pm. Upon arrival in Istanbul I went to a Turkish Air counter and readjusted the remainder of my booking. An all round pleasant experience.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: DL Gold
Anybody departing HKG on 1/13 that can guest lounge access in HKG and/or IST?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Anyone flying this itin on any of the following dates who can guest me into the lounge? Especially IST, I'm dying to see the new digs...

HKG 7-Dec
IST 8-Dec
LAX 13-Dec
IST 14-Dec

Thanks to this MR I will make *G for next year so hopefully I can pay it forward.

Otherwise I'll be the guy with the FT luggage tags hanging around the lounge entrance, looking hopeful...
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Travelling on 1/13, will I have the option to credit to either CO or UA? Or only UA at that point?

If so, which should I credit? RDM more useful to me than EQM, as a non-elite.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:10 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Originally Posted by hotelmotel
Travelling on 1/13, will I have the option to credit to either CO or UA? Or only UA at that point?

If so, which should I credit? RDM more useful to me than EQM, as a non-elite.
You have the option of either.

You will get more miles by crediting to CO if you're on an A fare as they recognize it as 150% while UA does not.

If you're on a U fare, it makes no difference.

At least that's the way it was in 2011, not sure if anything is due to change in 2012.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)

Am I mistaken that one will have to pay the HK Airport Dep. Tax of about HK$350 if you leave the transfer area and go through immigration?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Originally Posted by x1achilles
Am I mistaken that one will have to pay the HK Airport Dep. Tax of about HK$350 if you leave the transfer area and go through immigration?
In theory, yes, but I've done this several times on long connections and have never been asked to pay it.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 1:25 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Originally Posted by Unknown
In theory, yes, but I've done this several times on long connections and have never been asked to pay it.
Since these tickets originate in HKG, the departure tax is already built into the fare. In fact, you can get a refund if you show that you arrived in HKG earlier in the same day. There is a refund desk near the TK check-in area - just a few rows down.

I did this last month - it was a piece of cake - took less than 10 minutes.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by g_leyser
Since these tickets originate in HKG, the departure tax is already built into the fare. In fact, you can get a refund if you show that you arrived in HKG earlier in the same day. There is a refund desk near the TK check-in area - just a few rows down.

I did this last month - it was a piece of cake - took less than 10 minutes.
hmm... thats pretty cool... I arrive on UA at 19:00 and leave 23:15...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.