Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) TK: HKG-IST-LAX $802 ai rt 2.4 cpm (Premium Econ)

(FARE GONE) TK: HKG-IST-LAX $802 ai rt 2.4 cpm (Premium Econ)

Old May 29, 2011, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.756MM, WN ALP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC,AA Gold
Originally Posted by YYZC2
I'm going to be betraying my ignorance here, but since the TK71 (HKG-IST) is daily, how would you claim a forced layover? I have had had airlines provide transit accoms when traveling between two cities that had odd frequencies and same-day transit was impossible. In this case, it is possible, just not on all days.

Doesn't that make any transit of more than five hours voluntary by definition?

Edit: Here's a link from the TK website about hotel provision:

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-US...omodation.aspx

According to that page, layovers over 24h are considered "stopovers" and not eligible for hotels?
A couple of things:
1) HKG-IST isn't daily. It doesn't operate on Monday.
2) IST-LAX and LAX-IST are not daily. They don't operate Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
3) IST-HKG isn't daily. It doesn't operate on Sunday.

The one that I can easily see is leaving LAX on Saturday and arriving on Sunday. Since IST-HKG doesn't operate on Sunday, you'd have to go on Monday.

Another would be HKG-IST on Tuesday, which would arrive on Wednesday. No IST-LAX on Wednesday meaning waiting until Thursday.

Edit: Hmmmm, I may be doubting my own statements... I just tried to do a mock booking for my examples and thy.com doesn't show those flight combinations
Old May 29, 2011, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
A couple of things:
1) HKG-IST isn't daily. It doesn't operate on Monday.
2) IST-LAX and LAX-IST are not daily. They don't operate Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
3) IST-HKG isn't daily. It doesn't operate on Sunday.

The one that I can easily see is leaving LAX on Saturday and arriving on Sunday. Since IST-HKG doesn't operate on Sunday, you'd have to go on Monday.

Another would be HKG-IST on Tuesday, which would arrive on Wednesday. No IST-LAX on Wednesday meaning waiting until Thursday.

Edit: Hmmmm, I may be doubting my own statements... I just tried to do a mock booking for my examples and thy.com doesn't show those flight combinations
Mea culpa on the HKG-IST running 6 days a week.

My one way departs HKG on Tuesday, arrives Wednesday at 0500, and continues to LAX at 1100 on Thursday.

I suspect TK could say that's not a "forced layover" since I could have left HKG on Wednesday and not needed an overnight...

Again, I fully admit and want to be on record stating that I am an idiot and certainly stand to be corrected on this...
Old May 30, 2011, 12:10 am

Mea culpa on the HKG-IST running 6 days a week.

My one way departs HKG on Tuesday, arrives Wednesday at 0500, and continues to LAX at 1100 on Thursday.

I suspect TK could say that's not a "forced layover" since I could have left HKG on Wednesday and not needed an overnight...

Again, I fully admit and want to be on record stating that I am an idiot and certainly stand to be corrected on this...
If you wanted a forced layover westbound, you should have departed HKG on Sunday to arrive IST on Monday and continued to LAX on Tuesday. You have to depart the day before the HKG-IST NOOP day (Monday, the only day of the week with no TK ex-HKG flight), which fortunately arrives IST on a NOOP IST-LAX day.
Old May 30, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by huntk
Great, I fly in mid-July. Lounge closed. No alternatives for comfort plus passengers. Now what are my options for a shower? I'll look at a day rate for a nearby hotel.
If you have PriorityPass (I have it from my Amex Plat) it looks like the Primeclass CIP Lounge has showers...
Old May 30, 2011, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by ianmanka
I would think that this mistake fare would not qualify for transit accommodation. And if you were given transit accommodation, you could not receive the Istanbul city tour. As their FAQ says:
I don't think that this being a mistake fare has any relevance on qualifying for transit accommodation or not. Economy pax with layovers between 10-24 hours qualify. Many of those pax would have tickets cheaper than our "mistake fare". If we buy a business class mistake fare, then should we expect that we no longer qualify for lounge access and get an economy class meal? Of course not...

Having said that, none of us qualify for the hotel anyway because the connections are not over 10 hours and if someone has an extra day because of the non-op day then its over 24 hours which also doesn't qualify.
Old May 30, 2011, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by bworrell
If you have PriorityPass (I have it from my Amex Plat) it looks like the Primeclass CIP Lounge has showers...
I looked at that lounge's website earlier. They also will sell entry to anyone for 30 euros... that's just slightly more than priority pass members would pay. Not a bad deal really if you don't want to leave the airport.
Old May 30, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat AMB
I'll be meeting with my IST-LAX sector connecting from MAN. This will of course mean two separate tickets. The flight details are below:

04APR MAN-IST
arrives 1725

<connection 17hrs 40mins>

05APR IST-LAX
departs 1105

Do you think we'll qualify for the free layover accommodation?

There makes no mention of restrictions for pax with separate tickets.

Last edited by Boddingtons; May 30, 2011 at 8:05 am
Old May 30, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, TK Elite, GE
Originally Posted by Boddingtons
Do you think we'll qualify for the free layover accommodation?

There makes no mention of restrictions for pax with separate tickets.
But they mention "connecting flights" as condition. With 2 separate tickets your IST-LAX leg isn't a connecting flight in the legal sense.
Old May 30, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
I'm going to be betraying my ignorance here, but since the TK71 (HKG-IST) is daily, how would you claim a forced layover?
It is not daily. And combine with TK9 (IST-LAX) for sure you have few chances in a week to have a 24+h stopover.

[KVS Availability Tool 6.1.5/Diamond - Amadeus: Timetable/NL-BCDF]
Code:
HKG  Hong Kong Intl HK [VHHH]
IST  Istanbul Metro / Ataturk TR = IST SAW [LTBA]
TUE  26 Jul 2011 - 02 Aug 2011

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Frequency | Dur'n | Dep T | Arr T | Effect | Ending | Exceptions
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ----------------------------------------------------------------
TK         71      HKG   23:05     IST   05:25 +1  EQV  0   -234567     11:20       1       I   26 Jul   02 Aug

IST  Istanbul Metro / Ataturk TR = IST SAW [LTBA]
LAX  Los Angeles Intl CA US [KLAX]
TUE  26 Jul 2011 - 02 Aug 2011

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Frequency | Dur'n | Dep T | Arr T | Effect | Ending | Exceptions
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ----------------------------------------------------------------
TK         9       IST   11:10     LAX   15:25     77W  0   -2-4-67     14:15       I       B   14 Jul   29 Oct
Old May 30, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
It is not daily. And combine with TK9 (IST-LAX) for sure you have few chances in a week to have a 24+h stopover.
While this is technically true, it could only happen if you bought the regular HKG-IST fare. Anyone on the mistake fare would only have been able to pick HKG-IST on those days that it connects to IST-LAX. So the layover will only be 5 hours.
Old May 30, 2011, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Boddingtons
I'll be meeting with my IST-LAX sector connecting from MAN. This will of course mean two separate tickets. The flight details are below:

hmmm... that would be interesting to see.

sorry everyone, I didnt see the 24+ hour exclusion

I am using this twice in the summer (11 and 17 hour forced layovers) on unrelated tickets. TAS-IST-PEK, and IKA-IST-FRU
Old May 30, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Anyone know if you have to pay the $20 USD Visa fee if you do the 6 hour tour?
Old May 30, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.756MM, WN ALP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC,AA Gold
Originally Posted by sna430
Anyone know if you have to pay the $20 USD Visa fee if you do the 6 hour tour?
You are entering the country so I would definitely say yes. No visa = no clear customs/immigration = no making it landside.
Old May 30, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by dvs7310
I don't think that this being a mistake fare has any relevance on qualifying for transit accommodation or not. Economy pax with layovers between 10-24 hours qualify. Many of those pax would have tickets cheaper than our "mistake fare". If we buy a business class mistake fare, then should we expect that we no longer qualify for lounge access and get an economy class meal? Of course not...

Having said that, none of us qualify for the hotel anyway because the connections are not over 10 hours and if someone has an extra day because of the non-op day then its over 24 hours which also doesn't qualify.
I apologize for not being clear.

I meant that booking the mistake fare would probably result in either the five-hour connection time (no transit accommodation qualification), or if you built a stopover in, would exceed the 24 hours (also not qualifying for transit accommodation).

However, this is based on my assumption that the mistake fare would not permit you to book a HKG-IST-LAX with the IST-LAX connecting flight two days after HKG-IST due to a no-op on the day in between. I could be incorrect and find that someone on this forum was able to purchase an itinerary with a no-op, but I haven't been paying attention to everyone else's plans, and trying to find someone who has at this stage in the thread would be tedious.
Old May 30, 2011, 8:09 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by UpperDeckJunkie
While this is technically true, it could only happen if you bought the regular HKG-IST fare. Anyone on the mistake fare would only have been able to pick HKG-IST on those days that it connects to IST-LAX. So the layover will only be 5 hours.
Originally Posted by ianmanka
I apologize for not being clear.

I meant that booking the mistake fare would probably result in either the five-hour connection time (no transit accommodation qualification), or if you built a stopover in, would exceed the 24 hours (also not qualifying for transit accommodation).

However, this is based on my assumption that the mistake fare would not permit you to book a HKG-IST-LAX with the IST-LAX connecting flight two days after HKG-IST due to a no-op on the day in between. I could be incorrect and find that someone on this forum was able to purchase an itinerary with a no-op, but I haven't been paying attention to everyone else's plans, and trying to find someone who has at this stage in the thread would be tedious.
Nope, that may be true if you book via THY.com. But it was doable with the "discounted" fare via XP.com. (not sure about o/w, r/t for sure) Cuz I know somebody has done it with the original booking (i.e. not calling THY afterwards and making changes)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.