Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) TK: HKG-IST-LAX $802 ai rt 2.4 cpm (Premium Econ)

(FARE GONE) TK: HKG-IST-LAX $802 ai rt 2.4 cpm (Premium Econ)

Old May 26, 2011, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I question whether a single travel agent is as all-knowing as this one claims to be. I guess it depends on whether you've dealt with him before and your perception of his abilities. I have not had any experience with him, but I do question anyone whose post doesn't leave room for the possibility that he could be wrong. I AM THE AUTHORITY simply doesn't sit well with me. This is the internet, after all. We know little to nothing about the posters here.

Not to mention that the post fairly drips with condescension. I'm taking that grain of salt.
Old May 26, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
.. so I would advise all you yahoos and cowboys out there who think you know it all.. STAY LOW.
Originally Posted by g_leyser
Kind Regards,
Just another "yahoo" who has been on FT since 2002
I don't think you're a "yahoo", you're more of a "cowboy"!
Old May 26, 2011, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
I don't think you're a "yahoo", you're more of a "cowboy"!
The yahoos and cowboys I am referring to are basically the ones who are not on FT much or have just joined (see post count) but discovered the mistake fares, and making the bookings, then calling the airlines, and asking a lot of stupid questions (over and over) to us and to airlines, and then repeatedly boasting about it cos the 'fare rules said so..' The real cowboys are probably out there too.. who have taken advantage of the fare and not said much about it. They need not boast about what they have, and will basically fly on the date as booked and not make any changes unecessarily. Or have a back up plan.

Originally Posted by VVanderlust
Thanks for trying (again) to inject some reality into this thread GB.

Makes one wish that the fare rules did not allow this type of stuff unless with a hefty fee so as to minimize scrutiny of it.

I am finding those posters who have the attitude"I want to fly half-way around the world for $800+ but do this, and this and this" increasingly annoying.

For those folks who believe they are empowered passengers and not lucky mileage runners who found out about an AWESOME deal - your not. You are at the mercy of Turkish Airlines - and should act as so.

There, I said it.
Thank you.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; May 26, 2011 at 10:20 am
Old May 26, 2011, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Boddingtons
I believe the first user is saaws (sp?) on Friday 27 May.
Originally Posted by thaidai
saaws has started his "around the world in one week "posted on trip report(dont know how to link)a:waitng his next post

and here is the link. Looks like he's either still in HKG or just hasn't posted anything about HKG-IST yet.
Old May 26, 2011, 1:46 pm

For those us of hoping to end up in C on the Jet Airways leased 777 for HKG-IST, it's also worth considering the following seat capacities from seatguru:

Jet Airways 777: 8F/30C/274Y, 312 seats total
TK 777: 28C/63Y+/246Y, 337 seats total

As others have posted, the Y+ fares (A and U fares) were only bookable on days when TK currently plans on operating its own 777 on HKG-IST (for July, I think it was Tu/We/Sa). So, in the worst case scenario there might be days when they sold 28C and 63Y+ seats, and if there is an equipment change to the Jet Airways leased plane which has only 38 non-Y seats, a significant number of passengers would be downgraded and may end up in Y (and the entire flight might be oversold due to the lower total capacity of the Jet Airways plane). As others have noted, I too will be glad to be in Comfort Class as booked. Sure, a move to C would be fantastic, but realistically the more likely scenario from a capacity standpoint seems to be a downgrade to Y in case of an equipment swap. Then again, I have no idea what the load factors are, and it'll be interesting to learn more as the trip reports start rolling in.
Old May 26, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA 1K, AC 35K, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hogo74
As others have posted, the Y+ fares (A and U fares) were only bookable on days when TK currently plans on operating its own 777 on HKG-IST (for July, I think it was Tu/We/Sa).
It's wise to expect the C+ plane; however, what is strange is that when I called for my seats for July the agent kept insisting the cabin configuration from HKG-IST was 1-2-1. After much back and forth I realized what was happening and gladly accepted 9K. The strange part is that I booked 3.5 of these trips and all depart HKG on a Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday. I guess I'll just have to wait and be surprised when I board.
Old May 26, 2011, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by huntk
It's wise to expect the C+ plane; however, what is strange is that when I called for my seats for July the agent kept insisting the cabin configuration from HKG-IST was 1-2-1. After much back and forth I realized what was happening and gladly accepted 9K. The strange part is that I booked 3.5 of these trips and all depart HKG on a Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday. I guess I'll just have to wait and be surprised when I board.
cant wait for your trip reports.
Old May 26, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by huntk
As others have stated, TK hasn't updated their system to account for the fact that HKG-IST has both the leased planes and the new Y+ planes in service, so agents still see the leased 77W seat maps for all flights. Just because the seat map says its a 77W doesn't mean that it actually is a 77W. Add to that equipment swaps and who knows what you'll be flying in. Bottom line, (no pun intended) you won't know until your butt is in your seat.
Old May 26, 2011, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Watching all the debate here about making changes and "keeping below the radar" reminded me of a ticket that I booked a few years ago after seeing a deal here on FT. Long-time members here will remember the fare - it was a one-way fare from CMB to NYC that allowed (what seemed like) unlimited segments (in C, if I recall). I think the fare was filed by AZ.

Anyway, I had booked one that had SQ for the first few segments. This was at a time when there was some unrest in Sri Lanka, and SQ changed their flight schedules so all flights arrived/departed during the day. This caused a schedule change on my ticket before I started travel.

The schedule change apparently caused the ticketing agent (or maybe SQ) to look at my ticket and see the fare. When this happened, I got a notice that my ticket was not valid. Now, this was months after it had been issued, after my credit card had been charged, whatever. I was not offered an option - I was just told that my ticket was not valid.

If I had the motivation, I guess I could have gone to small claims court, but I chose not to. I yelled and screamed a bit, and the ticketing agent gave me some future discount or something.

(Other members will recall an AC error fare from a year or two ago - C class to South America if I remember right. In this case, AC cancelled the tickets but offered some other compensation.)

Bottom line of my story... in my experience, airlines can (and have) cancelled mistake fares long after the issuance of tickets. And perhaps legal action would have been called for. But for a lot of us, that is a big hurdle to jump.

I still buy mistake fares (I've bought 1 1/2 of these TK fares) but I also realize that every day I might get a call telling me that my ticket is no longer valid.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Hey gary_nj! You too, huh?

Did you at least get a refund on the original ticket? Or did SQ just tell you, you're SOL?

I know some people got the boot too from EK and UL. Once they cancelled their portion of the reservation, the entire ticket was not usable.

Thank you for sharing! My point exactly to what you're just said... bottom line is, lay low and your fare 'might' be honored. But if HK TK office knows too much about it when people starts using their tickets - the fare might be flagged and you might be scrutinized at check in.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; May 26, 2011 at 11:42 pm
Old May 27, 2011, 5:34 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Did you at least get a refund on the original ticket? Or did SQ just tell you, you're SOL?
I got a refund. Due to some exchange rate volatility, the refund was a slight bit more than I paid. I had purchased this through eDreams in Europe, who didn't want to know anything once they realized the situation. In the end, they gave me an offer of a free booking of a hotel night, I think. I had not bought my positioning flights yet (figuring the deal might be too good to be true) so I really wasn't out much.

Considering any kind of legal claim... I bought a ticket for a flight originating in Asia on an Asian carrier through a European agency. And I am in the US. I figured it was easier to surrender.
Old May 27, 2011, 6:07 am

Programs: UNITED 1P
never mind...
Old May 27, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat AMB
Well the TK flight departed at 2312 local time in Hong Kong so we'll either find out in the morning whether saaws was accepted for the flight, or beforehand if he's denied boarding.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Boddingtons
Well the TK flight departed at 2312 local time in Hong Kong so we'll either find out in the morning whether saaws was accepted for the flight, or beforehand if he's denied boarding.
In another thread related to this fare he mentioned he's (she's??) flying out of HKG the 28th, so that's tomorrow night local time. Still about 23 hours to departure if that's right.
Old May 27, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K / CO PLT
Originally Posted by dvs7310
In another thread related to this fare he mentioned he's (she's??) flying out of HKG the 28th, so that's tomorrow night local time. Still about 23 hours to departure if that's right.
It's weird to see my screen name is mentioned. Ur correct. I am departing 28th so haven't left yet. I met up with another Ftalker who is on the same flight as my hkg-ist, so we will let you guys know if anything happened.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.