Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) UA/CO: PHL-SAN, PDX, SEA, PHX and LAS - $98 AI each way

(FARE GONE) UA/CO: PHL-SAN, PDX, SEA, PHX and LAS - $98 AI each way

Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Lifetime Gold, starting AK, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by BryanIAH
I'm left handed so I'll choose an aisle seat on the right side or a window seat on the left side. I know it may sound weird but it helps when I need to write or eat next to a righty.
I often choose right-vs-left depending on travel direction and the time of year because, if planning to use my laptop for any length of time, I want to be on the shady side.

[edit: I belatedly apologize for this off-topic post, sorry all, don't respond!]
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:31 pm

Programs: US Platinum
Help

What is .bomb? I've been to UA/CO website but I can't find this price anywhere?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Just another word for Uniteds website because it blows up so much. You can try using ita to find availability for flights.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MMF Hilton Gold, Hyatt platinum
Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks. Sounds like a better airport to use for locals than folks headed to SoCal. Free parking. Cool!

Rental cars were sparse and expensive when I was checking -- almost twice the price as at SAN.
Sorry to post it already charge USD 5/day parking fee on CLD. But still a good parking place with very short walk distance and good security.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by ccharles
I often choose right-vs-left depending on travel direction and the time of year because, if planning to use my laptop for any length of time, I want to be on the shady side.

[edit: I belatedly apologize for this off-topic post, sorry all, don't respond!]
You say something as provocative as that and expect it to go unresponded to?

Originally Posted by spojef
What is .bomb?
The simple answer is that .bomb is the way some around here refer to the united.com website. It reflects something of a love/hate relationship between UA FFers and this booking engine, and I'm not sure that united.com is any longer, if it ever was, less (or more) reliable than websites of its competitors for pricing itineraries.

[BTW, the PHL-SAN fare has been gone for a couple of days, so this is not a "GONE" one, right? Where, or where, is something UA that us ex-WAS types can sink our teeth into, even if at 5 cpm?]
Old Mar 2, 2011, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks. Sounds like a better airport to use for locals than folks headed to SoCal. Free parking. Cool!

Rental cars were sparse and expensive when I was checking -- almost twice the price as at SAN.
I found the opposite during my research. Used this website http://www.carrentals.com/?cid=12175...FYXD7QodHjkpng
and cars were consistently cheaper than at SAN, but then SAN is already cheap. The vendor that came out all the time was Enterprise. As a sidepoint, cars in the San Diego area are some of the cheapest in the U.S.
When the SAN/CLD special was on at UA.com, our daughter found it cheaper to fly from PHX to SAN and rent a car to go shopping in Orange County than flying into lax and renting there ( the SAN flight connected in LAX!!!). Air fare and car rental were substantially cheaper.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
assuming this is gone as I'm looking the first weekend in april and flight are $500+ RT now...holy smokes airfare increase thanks to $100.barrell crude
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by guavaking
Sorry to post it already charge USD 5/day parking fee on CLD. But still a good parking place with very short walk distance and good security.
Ding! I just booked a 14-day back to back MR from CLD because of the free parking. Now it is going to cost me $70 to park?!

Of course, I was just kidding. I really admire the guy who is doing the 7-day back to back SAN-PHL MR as we speak!
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:02 pm

What is this CLD thing? I'm looking at flights to SAN and .bomb keeps serving up a transcon out to LAX and then on to CLD, pairing it with a return from SAN. Maybe I can arrange car rental at one airport, drop at the other, but I'd prefer going into and out of the same city in case something were to go awry, and an airport that has more flight alternatives for that same reason. Is UA channeling traffic to CLD because they have too many empty seats LAX-CLD? CLD-LAX is a different story?
Old Mar 4, 2011, 8:59 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by guavaking
You are correct; it is not free anymore. One website mentions an off-site long term parking lot. That was closed a long time ago. There is no legal on-street parking, either.

In reply to itsme, I really doubt UA is deliberately skewing results to fill CLD flights, and I realize you're kidding a little. CLD is probably just being treated as a co-airport with SAN.

Pairing a CLD segment with SAN return *might* actually be nice in the right situation. It's a short taxi or bus ride from CLD to Legoland theme park. It would take about four hours to go from CLD to SAN airport using public transit:

1. NCTD 309 bus north to Oceanside transit center.
2. Either Amtrak or NCTD Coaster train to San Diego downtown "Santa Fe sta"
3. San Diego airport bus outside the station to the SAN airport.
Evenings or weekends would have considerably slower connection times. Late night is impossible. I've done this a number of times, but from my house. I live within 2 miles of CLD airport.

Going to LAX, it's not fun for me to pay UA's discounted fare of $145 rt for CLD-LAX and only get about 86 miles each way because I don't have UA status for the 500-mile minimum.

Sometimes, I can add CLD-LAX segments to a continuing UA trip at not much cost. Not often, especially with me usually flying a certain other airline.

Last edited by Bowgie; Mar 4, 2011 at 9:27 pm
Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by lax2010
I really admire the guy who is doing the 7-day back to back SAN-PHL MR as we speak!
8 days 4 more days, 16 segments to go. Piece of cake, most flights upgraded, rest in Exit row seats
Old Mar 5, 2011, 7:53 am

gone?

So this thread continues with discussion of "collateral" stuff, but the fare is now dead, not just "sleeping"? Don't bother looking for dates because it is history?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Long term parking at SAN?

Doing a weekend trip on this route next week. Any recommendation for long weekend parking at or close to SAN?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by itsme
So this thread continues with discussion of "collateral" stuff, but the fare is now dead, not just "sleeping"? Don't bother looking for dates because it is history?
The fare is history. At this point don't bother looking for dates. But historically speaking there is a good chance it will appear again.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
The fare is history. At this point don't bother looking for dates. But historically speaking there is a good chance it will appear again.
Is there a special prayer for MRers to say in hopes that a good fare will resurrect, or better yet one will pop up for their own home base (ex-WAS) after a long drought?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.