Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Fare Gone) SA: JFK-JNB $700 a/i - 4.4cpm (SA/CO)//6.3cpm (UA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Fare Gone) SA: JFK-JNB $700 a/i - 4.4cpm (SA/CO)//6.3cpm (UA)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Thanks OP

I'm MRU bound, one day there
lots of Y o Y but ambien is my friend and connecting in DKR helps
Old Dec 15, 2010, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by hauteboy
Last time I was there, they let you cross over to the Zambian falls side for the day without a visa (did get passport stamped).. that may have changed though.
In summer 2009, we stayed just outside of Livingstone, and crossed for a day to the Zim side.. Victoria Falls town was really run down and dodgy, I strongly recommend staying on the Zambian side.

Visas are Zambia double entry $80, Zimbabwe $35.
If coming from Zimbabwe, you can get a day-tripper visa to Zambia for $25.

If you are looking to do any other activities (the falls get boring after one full day), most tourist shops have packed up and moved to Zambia.

I m actually debating MRU for a 7-day holiday at end of Jan. If these prices are still around tomorrow, I m gonna book
Old Dec 15, 2010, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for everyone considering MRU

Using multicity NYC-MRU,MRU-CPT,CPT-NYC

You can do JFK-JNB-MRU/MRU-JNB-CPT(overnight)-JNB-IAD-NYC for NZ$1043.30 ($771) for 21,997 miles total or 3.505cpm

Make sure the MRU-JNB flights are SA operated, not the Air Mauritius codeshares
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
For those of you guys who booked...have you been able to get your itinerary on FlySAA.com? I tried using the SAA Record Locater per my email but it says not found. I have a ticket number though...
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:24 pm

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by rankourabu
You can do JFK-JNB-MRU/MRU-JNB-CPT(overnight)-JNB-IAD-NYC for NZ$1043.30 ($771) for 21,997 miles total or 3.505cpm
I m actually debating MRU for a 7-day holiday at end of Jan. If these prices are still around tomorrow, I m gonna book
Excellent options! It would have to be a holiday for us too, just not sure if I can justify another trip away. This is a great opportunity to see these locations, especially Mauritius
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AndrewT84
For those of you guys who booked...have you been able to get your itinerary on FlySAA.com? I tried using the SAA Record Locater per my email but it says not found. I have a ticket number though...
From the SAA web site
You can only access Manage My Booking if you made your reservation directly with South African Airways (SAA), and not via a travel agent. If your booking contains non-SAA flights, you can still access Manage My Booking provided there is at least one flight with a SAA flight number.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Unfortunately I missed that but it will still be good. Is there any way to see which fare class the ticket booked into?
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
From the SAA web site
Ah thanks. That's kinda annoying. I want to be able to chose seats and what not directly with SA and not thru Expedia.

Anyone else visiting CPT 02/18-02/21?
Old Dec 15, 2010, 7:26 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Besides Capetown, anywhere else that is safe, interesting and below, say 80 degrees, in what is their southern hemisphere summer? (Not much of a tropics lover, unless it's highland) Have been to Nairobi, which is the latter, lovely climate, but neither safe nor nice.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 7:49 pm

Anyway to force going via IAD on the way back? I can't seem to get it on the dates that I'm looking at. Getting NZ$1,103.70 for JFK-JNB-MRU-JNB-CPT-JNB-DKR-JFK with 2 nights in MRU and 1 night in CPT. This is 2/16-2/21

Last edited by greendx; Dec 15, 2010 at 7:50 pm Reason: changed DAK to DKR
Old Dec 15, 2010, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA CO DL
gone?

Looking for dates in feb and jan...is the deal dead?
Old Dec 15, 2010, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greendx
Anyway to force going via IAD on the way back? I can't seem to get it on the dates that I'm looking at. Getting NZ$1,103.70 for JFK-JNB-MRU-JNB-CPT-JNB-DKR-JFK with 2 nights in MRU and 1 night in CPT. This is 2/16-2/21
:-:You can force it via IAD on the way back, by having your final destination LGA or EWR

so
JFK-MRU
MRU-CPT
CPT-LGA/EWR (next day)

I ve been looking at overnighting, it seems much easier to find an airport hotel with transportation at JNB than it is at CPT.

You can still do MRU-JNB (19:45 stay overnight 8:00) JNB-CPT-JNB-IAD-EWR for 1043. J22-29/30 sample dates
Old Dec 15, 2010, 8:16 pm

:-:You can force it via IAD on the way back, by having your final destination LGA or EWR

so
JFK-MRU
MRU-CPT
CPT-LGA/EWR (next day)

I ve been looking at overnighting, it seems much easier to find an airport hotel with transportation at JNB than it is at CPT.

You can still do MRU-JNB (19:45 stay overnight 8:00) JNB-CPT-JNB-IAD-EWR for 1043. J22-29/30 sample dates
Ahh ok thanks.

I only looked up SPG properties in CPT and can do cash($45)+points(2800). Not sure how far away it is from the airport.

So close to pulling the trigger. Might have to fly back to JFK because the LGA flight gets in at 936am = very late for work.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: NW-PE (ret.) DL-Diamond & 1M, Hertz #1, UA-1P
Originally Posted by airboss
Looking for dates in feb and jan...is the deal dead?
At the least simple RTs are still pricing for end of Jan. beginning of Feb.

Looking at dep. 28Jan ret. 10Feb.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
Unfortunately I missed that but it will still be good. Is there any way to see which fare class the ticket booked into?
G, as noted in the second post in the thread. :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.