Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by schley
Am I the only one scanning this thread for the pages I missed only reading the posters who have 500 or more posts?
If that's the case then you're only reading one out of every 10 posts.

Internet Brands is very happy attracting so many new members to FT because of this deal.

Welcome all new members! Be sure to stick around, because FT is a goldmine if you like to travel
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:43 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
Originally Posted by mreed911
Assume they sold 100,000 of these and refunded 300 each. That's only 30 million dollars. VERY small amount compared to any one company on the Fortune 500, much less the economy.

30 million is SMALL in terms of any economic impact.

-- Mike
Expedia's third quarter net income was $178 million. 30 million dollars would be about 17% of that. I don't consider that a very insignificant amount.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TAWS
Expedia's third quarter net income was $178 million. 30 million dollars would be about 17% of that. I don't consider that a very insignificant amount.
And their Canadian division will only be a small fraction of the $178M
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
The OP was referring to the effect on the ECONOMY... which is trivial. To x.ca however, that could be a death knell.

On a more related topic, I'm concerned that I have yet to see any charges post to my credit card for the 3 purchases. On one of my bookings though, it does show the last 4 digits of the credit card used on x.ca.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:50 pm
Suspended

I can't see what many are so worried about. It is all working. You open your itinerary from the email that Expedia.ca sent you. Then click where it says "view payment history"

Here is mine:

Delta charge minus the refunded amount is the total that shows on my statement from Expedia.ca. You will see the refund on your charge probably when the Pending charge (mine from Delta) becomes an actual charge.

Nothing is wrong.
No headache.

Good deal. Be happy.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Extrapolate that. Being conservative, give them 600 million in revenue (or do you mean earnings, I haven't looked at their numbers - I'd expect REVENUE to be higher and earnings of 600MM) for the year.

Now we're talking about 5%. Not insignificant, sure, but potentially small, especially if in return for these Expedia actually earned some of it back in rebates, SPIFFs, business development/marketing funds, incentives, etc. Not being an insider, that's not something we're likely to know about. Of course, if this actually drives airline inventory on these routes (popular for the holidays) down, then prices will go up, and so will Expedia's "cut" of the action. They could easily profit on this, even if it was a mistake.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by lindaiah
Booked mine yesterday afternoon -- IAH-LAS $20.56 total.
Now I have to cancel. Work is getting in the way. Don't these people realize I have trips to take and life to lead?

Should I call Expedia to cancel the whole thing, or just cancel the airline ticket on the CO website and call the hotel directly and cancel that way?
Does it make a difference?
I know I will be out the $20.56 at least, but of course that's okay. I also don't expect to get any residual value from the CO ticket, because as far as I'm concerned, there isn't any and I'm not really entitled to it.
What's the worst outcome possible, considering this is well past the 24 hour cancellation time?

Thanks!
there's no need to cancel. Just eat the 20.56 and no show the entire thing. This is your safest bet and nothing bad will happen to you.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by HansGolden
Yup. Your LAS to your "actual destination city" tickets will be canceled. I would suggest calling Expedia and trying to get everything refunded if you're out of pocket significant enough money to warrant a 3 hour on-hold time.
I am actually planning to skip flight as well... The story goes...

I book a round trip from SEA to LAS, selecting JetBlue airlines
It's a flight with a one stop transit at Long Beach (LBS)...

But to begin with, I'll be in San Diego... My plan is to end up in Seattle... And the system doesn't allows multiple one way flights...

so I called JetBlue and ask if I can skip and forfeit my first flight...
then just board the transit flight from Long Beach to Las Vegas...
and the person whom I spoke to said it's perfectly fine... =D

Should I just call like the second time to confirm that?...
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
I'm sure someone is subsidizing at least some part of this. I'm pulling flight from Canada to NYC/LAS, and a good number of them are below $300. No way is xp going to recoup essentially $300 from a few days of hotel. Remember they did not have a min stay.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Aeroplan, Marriott Titanium (LT Platinum), HH Diamond
I was able book a trip from YUL to LAS for next weekend so the deal was still active at 11:00 PM EST

I just tried to book a trip to NYC and got the dreaded "this voucher has already been used" and then after hitting apply/reprice a few times it worked. But when I changed the credit card from Amex to MC it changed SAVE300 to ENTERREDEMPTIONCODE in the voucher code box and wouldn't work. Very weird

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL plat
I booked 11 RT to LAS this afternoon and received the correct comfirmation email from Ep.ca. It has been 10 hours since I booked my first trips in EP.ca today around 2PM Central Time. It looks like the all airlines have temporarly charged to my Credit Cards, but there is no any $300 Credit showing from EP. does anyone who booked any trip this afternoon (after 2PM Central Time) receive the credit? THanks.

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by Happy
Trust the posters here, especially HansGolden who is a Travel Agent,
With that vote of confidence, I'd better add a few qualifiers and additional educational points.

In fact, I just ran a group of ten people a few seconds ago with the following itin:
UA CMH-ORD
AA ORD-FLL-PAP
(work project in Haiti)
AA PAP-MIA
US MIA-PHL-CLE

Each person has one eticket number.
Actually, what I said above isn't strictly accurate, though for the purposes of this thread, it gives an accurate picture. These folks above have something called conjunctive ticket numbers. This is because of a weird limitation of old systems, I think maybe the limitation was the number of segments that could be printed on a paper ticket. Whenever the segments exceed a certain number (I think four), consecutive ticket numbers are issued. That's called a conjunctive ticket number and looks like this:
001-9024760246-47
or basically:
001-9024760246 and
001-9024760247

However, despite conjunctive ticket numbers, they are considered one eticket for purposes of all the rules that I can think of. I think there is a hard limit of four coupons (conjunctive ticket numbers) or 16 segments per eticket. I think this is the reason that many RTW tickets are limited to 16 segments.

Their communication is total and automatic.
There are times when the links between GDSes break down, PNRs (reservations) get out of sync, and all sorts of horrible things begin to happen. But that's the exception rather than the norm and it almost never results in good things.

(For instance, I had a client flying MSP to BOS (via ORD) on UA with a stopover there, then continuing to FRA on LH. When we issued the tickets in Amadeus (the same GDS that LH uses), the link between Amadeus and Galileo (UA's system) was down, so Galileo/UA never got the ticket numbers. (There're supposed to be safeguards in place to transmit the data when the link is back up, but the safeguards failed in this case.) The presence of the ticket numbers is what keeps the seats (in that specific booking inventory and simply the space in general; not talking about seat assignments) from being canceled by UA when the ticket time limit (the date at which we can no longer ticket unticketed space) expires. So UA merrily canceled what it thought was unticketed space and when the customer got to the airport, they found they had a legitimate eticket, but no space to go along with it! This was very confusing to us at first because our system still showed those seats on UA as HK (holding confirmed) however Galileo/UA showed them as HX (canceled). UA didn't have eticket numbers in the record but when the customer gave them the eticket number (that's why it's important to always take your eticket number with you to the airport, despite this age of etickets requiring only your ID) they could pull it up manually and see that there had been a technical glitch, but the flight had checked in 100% full. We found later flights for them to BOS and fortunately they had a stopover in BOS or they would have missed their LH flights (of course, we could have prolly put them on LH flights ex-ORD). But that's an example of GDSes not talking to each other and the subsequent disaster that occurs. Fortunately it's a rare occurrence, but I did want to qualify my above statement.)

But I really should go get some sleep before my 6AM SR to ATL tomorrow.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2 mill miler;UA Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Still maybe sort-of kind-of working?

FYI, I was just in the process of booking BOS-JFK-BOS on jetblue and a hotel for departure tomorrow (Sunday). I used a US address and while it took two "reclicks" on the voucher button, it did price with the 300 deducted. Unfortunately, my internet connection crashed (unrelated bad coincidence) and now it is telling me I need to book for Monday, as apparently hotel plus air packages require 24 hours advance in the expedia.ca system (though I wonder if I tried to book the air separately initially it might work, as I don't believe that either air or hotel by themselves have as long a lead.

Is anyone else still having success booking from US origin points. If not, at what point in the booking process is the problem becoming apparent?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US
Originally Posted by njfpro
I am actually planning to skip flight as well... The story goes...

I book a round trip from SEA to LAS, selecting JetBlue airlines
It's a flight with a one stop transit at Long Beach (LBS)...

But to begin with, I'll be in San Diego... My plan is to end up in Seattle... And the system doesn't allows multiple one way flights...

so I called JetBlue and ask if I can skip and forfeit my first flight...
then just board the transit flight from Long Beach to Las Vegas...
and the person whom I spoke to said it's perfectly fine... =D

Should I just call like the second time to confirm that?...
You should probably assume that you were like lied too.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2 mill miler;UA Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
SpaFinders Add-on To NYC Air/Hotel

Does anyone happen to know if the Spafinders 'gift certificate" that is offered in conjunction with NYC bookings is transferable. While as a gift certificate one would certainly think so, it says that ID must be presented at time of use.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.