Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:55 pm

For the record, I would be thoroughly stunned if Expedia let all these reservations, throwaways and all, go through without any chargebacks. Happy, but stunned =)

Give it a 30% chance that we reach that outcome. No vouchers, please.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:55 pm

Programs: British Airways
For what it's worth, my gf and I booked separate but identical itineraries for three days, MSY-LGA, using one US card and one UK card, and both went through first time (yesterday evening). Itineraries are still live on Expedia and refunds look to have been issued, though have yet to show up in our accounts. I think we got one of the last rooms in Chocolat. Be funny if we all actually turned up at this place and had a whole dorm of FTers
Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
The new wording also says "one voucher per person," where the old wording said "one voucher per booking." They are obviously trying now to prevent multiple trips by the same passenger using the voucher code multiple times.
This is an excellent reason to not book from here on out.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:56 pm

Programs: LH G, CO G, BA B, HH G, PC P, SW G, Sixt P, Hertz G and YES A|Club G :)
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Well, only four were for me personally...
Ran out of CCs...

But I can imagine someone like you going all the way like there is no tomorrow...
Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by barelyelite
Shifting the topic, what compensation, if any, would Expedia need to provide to keep you satisfied if it cancels your reservation(s)?

I'd settle for $75 cash or a $150 voucher per booking. I made 5 or 6 separate bookings. ^

I'd of course prefer to keep all my reservations in place. I have a series of back-to-back mileage runs from RDU booked (going to have to figure out where/when to sleep...maybe I'll make use of the Rancho Fiesta Hotel I booked ) and then a week later a real weekend trip to Vegas.

On second thought, maybe I wouldn't be too upset if all my reservations were canceled and refunded. Not any of yours, though!
Hate to say it, 99% they'll probably cancel it and give everyone a 20% off coupon good for one day only. I remember a while back ago there was a "deal" on a set of golf clubs for less than $200 and retailed for over $1000. Thousands of people bought it with some purchasing 50 sets or more. People's cards were charged. The next day they said it was a price mistake and would not honor it and gave everyone a 20% off coupon. You had plenty of people talking about suing this and that. Talked to a lawyer friend and he pretty much said that with a contract there has to be an agreement on both sides. Since it was a price mistake they wouldn't be bind to the contract since it was an "obvious" mistake.

This sounds like a website glitch to me that allowed people to book when they're not qualified. You can argue whatever you want but they did have that Canadian clause in there. I guess you can try to sue them if they cancel, but the most you'll get is your money back. Good luck to everyone though.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
It is NOT an actual refund if that is the screenshot you referred to.

From past experiences with Expedia, any refund from them takes 2 to 3 business days to show up on your CC. Given the sheer volumes of this, the weekend and the Thanksgiving coming, it would not surprise me we dont see the credit showing up on our CCs until Post Thanksgiving.
Hopefully the fact that Thanksgiving is long since past for the Canadians will play in our favor in terms of getting timely refunds.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:01 pm

I have to ask: did any of the other deals last this long? I booked over 24 hours ago and was shocked that it been around for 5 hours by then! The AA SYD F fare debacle only lasted 90 minutes, IIRC. To what degree does this 30 hour booking window weaken Expedia's claims of unintentionally letting Americans book?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I would hope that if Expedia chooses to cancel most/all of the bookings, they do it in a hassle-free / mess-free manner. Instant refund + polite e-mail apology.

Yes, these bookings can be canceled. We've already seen posts from people who booked the wrong itinerary or forgot the voucher, called Expedia.ca, and had a cancellation w/o penalty (even after ticketing).

The perceived impact of negative backlash / media drama / whining is insignificant to the financial impact. Plus, this isn't Expedia's first involvement with glitches. They've canceled mistake bookings before.. I bet those people weren't dissatisfied enough to avoid this particular deal.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by londonienne
I have to ask: did any of the other deals last this long? I booked over 24 hours ago and was shocked that it been around for 5 hours by then! The AA SYD F fare debacle only lasted 90 minutes, IIRC. To what degree does this 30 hour booking window weaken Expedia's claims of unintentionally letting Americans book?
HA last for 4 days
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by odog1121
Hate to say it, 99% they'll probably cancel it and give everyone a 20% off coupon good for one day only.
Glad to say it, 99% they'll honor it with no complaints.

This isn't a new occurance for Expedia. They did the exact same thing last year. I booked like 5 trips. Threw away every single flight and only stayed at the hotels. No problems.

For another example from Expedia, anyone else remember the Primm hotel deal? They paid us to book a hotel whether we showed up or not.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by londonienne
When they did this last year, it lasted days if not more.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, AA, BA, US
Someone in the legal department (or someone who neglected to run the original T&Cs by the legal department) is going to fry.

I think they're going to have to eat the loss.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by odog1121
Since it was a price mistake they wouldn't be bind to the contract since it was an "obvious" mistake.
And how is this an "obvious" mistake? Recently I've seen hotel or hotel+air deals in Vegas that seem too good to be true (e.g. $30/night for a hotel that was $150/night just a few years ago). Vegas is desperate for business and is paying heavily to entice gamblers to visit. Should every good deal resulting from this situation be regarded as "obviously a mistake?"
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:06 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Expedia can cancel our packages, but good luck to them trying to cancel our plane tickets... The airlines will surely ding them for change fees and there is no way Expedia can wiggle out of this with the airlines.

I think they are better off honoring it and do something internally to prevent this from happening again.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by izzik
I would hope that if Expedia chooses to cancel most/all of the bookings, they do it in a hassle-free / mess-free manner. Instant refund + polite e-mail apology.
I'm packing as I'm leaving tomorrow morning. If they have to cancel mine, I hope they hurry up, so that I don't need to show up at the airport at 5am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.