Wiki Posts
Search

AA: RDU-DFW-SEA RT 2.2cpm?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2010, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold; Marriott Lifetime Silver; IHG Plat Amb; Hilton Diamond
AA: RDU-DFW-SEA RT 2.2cpm?

I am new to FT and have never considered an MR before but I'm seriously considering getting down to RDU to take advantage of the 3x miles/2x EQ points. Since I'm no longer metal with American and hardly flew them this year I'd have to do two runs to get gold but with an extra push could bypass gold for platinum altogether.

It was tough as the only weekends I am free for the rest of the year are the two right before Christmas. Here's what I found.

12/10 and 12/11
late morn/early afternoon departure from RDU/same day red-eye return. 5-7 hours in between flights in both airports.

Raleigh Durham Intl Arpt, Raleigh, NC (RDU) to
Dallas Ft Worth Intl, Dallas, TX (DFW) to
Seattle Tacoma Intl Arpt, Seattle, WA (SEA) to
Dallas Ft Worth Intl, Dallas, TX (DFW) to
Raleigh Durham Intl Arpt, Raleigh, NC (RDU)

Distance 5440 miles = 16320 miles each r/t

I'm currently holding two consecutive r/t's at an aggregate of 1.76cpm for the two days. Factor in my o/w from Philly at $179 which will only net me 1508DM at only 7.5cpm and yet it's still a good deal. That will get me silver for $752.60 plus I'll have nearly earned an off-peak ticket to Europe.

However, for $300 more I can do one more 13785 r/t to SAN for a few days of r&r at a friend's house before heading home. It will be a whirlwhind three days but I'll earn AAplat and have a euro ticket in the bank. Overall cost per mile is 2.2c!

Am I nuts or what? And is AAdvantage Platinum really work this effort? Also... if the bonus points are posted to my account after January 1 will they even count toward elite status? Feedback appreciated!

Last edited by hautecouTours; Oct 15, 2010 at 11:32 pm
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I'm doing two STL-DFW-SEA-DFW-STL to reobtain PLT, and PLT is worth your effort. Everyone's needs are different, but my travels are highly rewarded by PLT, and not so much ExPlt (way too many RJs). Go for it.^
Old Oct 16, 2010, 1:40 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by hautecouTours
Distance 5440 miles = 16320 miles each r/t

I'm currently holding two consecutive r/t's at an aggregate of 1.76cpm for the two days. Factor in my o/w from Philly at $179 which will only net me 1508DM at only 7.5cpm and yet it's still a good deal. That will get me silver for $752.60 plus I'll have nearly earned an off-peak ticket to Europe.
You do realize the 2x is not EQ points but is 2x EQMiles.
In addition the 2x is aggregate and not 2x on top of the original BIS.
Distance 5440 miles = (5440 EQMiles + 5440 bonus EQMiles) = 10880 EQMiles each r/t

Although AA doesn't have silver your two round trips + your one way will leave you short the 25k EQMiles neccessary for gold.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold; Marriott Lifetime Silver; IHG Plat Amb; Hilton Diamond
I see that now... thanks! although with just over 5K EQMs in my AA account I would make gold after the two round trips to Seattle. I was actually starting to think that making gold now and then working on plat in early 2011 was a better strategy anyway. then i would be guaranteed that level for nearly two years.

Thanks again!

Last edited by hautecouTours; Oct 16, 2010 at 10:11 am Reason: clarification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.