Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed from the FT Experts! (Please)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Hi FTers! My fiancee and I are in the beginning stages of planning our honeymoon, and the first leg of our trip will be to Cape Town, South Africa. We are trying to decide between the following two options:

OPTION #1: Use miles to purchase flight from NYC--> Heathrow (First class on United) and then Heathrow --> Johannesburg (Business on South African Airlines), and purchase ticket from Johannesburg --> Cape Town (South African Airlines for $250)

OR

OPTION #2: Purchase ticket from Emirates -- NYC to Cape Town (connecting through Dubai) on business class for $4000.

Is it better to use the miles that we've accumulated over the years, or come out-of-pocket and purchase the flight through Emirates? Any feedback/insight/advice would be greatly appreciated -- thanks in advance!
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:47 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
what mi? how many? cost of purchases?.....are the awards available?

this forum is for trips to get mi that you need by flying....

there is a better forum for this, but the info on the mi is needed 1st....

looks like a great trip...
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, clacko! Option #1 would require 150,000 miles per person plus the $250 (USD) per person to buy the Johannesburg --> Cape Town flight. Checked with Continental and award ticket is available for our dates. Option #2 would be $4000 per person.

Do you know what forum this is better housed in? Thanks again.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by CoffeePrincess
Thanks, clacko! Option #1 would require 150,000 miles per person plus the $250 (USD) per person to buy the Johannesburg --> Cape Town flight. Checked with Continental and award ticket is available for our dates. Option #2 would be $4000 per person.

Do you know what forum this is better housed in? Thanks again.
My suggestion for such an important event in life is:
  • Use the miles to travel in style (First and Business Class).
  • Save the cash for more useful things in life!

Mileage devaluation is a reality and is so evident at DL in particular and maybe AA as the carrier comes through the bankruptcy process.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by CoffeePrincess
Hi FTers! My fiancee and I are in the beginning stages of planning our honeymoon, and the first leg of our trip will be to Cape Town, South Africa. We are trying to decide between the following two options:

OPTION #1: Use miles to purchase flight from NYC--> Heathrow (First class on United) and then Heathrow --> Johannesburg (Business on South African Airlines), and purchase ticket from Johannesburg --> Cape Town (South African Airlines for $250)

OR

OPTION #2: Purchase ticket from Emirates -- NYC to Cape Town (connecting through Dubai) on business class for $4000.

Is it better to use the miles that we've accumulated over the years, or come out-of-pocket and purchase the flight through Emirates? Any feedback/insight/advice would be greatly appreciated -- thanks in advance!
I would go with a modified version of option 1. You can get the JNB-CPT flights on the same award and save yourself $250. Those flights may only have economy seats but it's still a better deal (2 extra "free" flights) than paying for separate tickets.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
for 300k mi +$500 you get no mi but get $8000 & lose a cabin across the pond and lose the mi that you would get from the paid flights....

i believe you can hold awards for a while....i would put them on hold if its more than 2 or 3 days...

do you need/want the emirates mi for status this year?

i will alert the moderator to move this, prob to the ua forum....

please don't re post....

edit to add....mod alert sent..
Old Feb 7, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
$3750/150000 = 2.5 cents per mile. I personally will use miles whenever I get a value better than 2 cents per mile, so I vote miles.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:17 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Plat, Marriott PP
Considering all that you have said, I think I would use the miles if I were in your shoes.

One consideration that came to mind was that in the event you need to change the day of your flight it might be easier and cheaper with the paid tickets, but I am guessing you have your schedule pretty well locked down for a honeymoon.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:07 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Welcome to FT, CoffeePrincess!
Old Feb 9, 2012, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who replied! Greatly appreciate the feedback and I think we are going to go with miles...
Old Feb 9, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SkyClub, AA PLT, CO Silver, AS MVPGLD
I would definitely burn the miles in this scenario (again, unless your require miles for status with Emirates). Further, it's always nice to enjoy/experience an airlines business class product that you'd normally not fly, ie. South African Airways.

Congrats and have a great trip!
Old Feb 9, 2012, 3:06 pm

Yes, just use the miles to cash in

Originally Posted by janetdoe
$3750/150000 = 2.5 cents per mile. I personally will use miles whenever I get a value better than 2 cents per mile, so I vote miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.