Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Original matrix.itasoftware.com is now gone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Original matrix.itasoftware.com is now gone?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
For those looking for language assists using ITA Matrix 1, here is a help link. Nothing new really. Always been available as help in upper right corner of Matrix 1.

Like most languages, it's a bit cryptic, but v powerful.....
Old Aug 7, 2010, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
OLD version still available. Click OLD VERSION in upper right corner.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 3:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
haven't used Matrix 1 too long, but one feature I don't find anymore in Matrix 2 is the adequate email format which is sent to the recipient. The new one is not formatted, and becomes very cryptic for a newbie or even for some confused travel agents...
Old Aug 7, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA:1MM
v2 seems to be missing results.

just tried

EWR;JFK;LGA <-> PHX on Sep 10.
w/ new (http://matrix2.itasoftware.com/fligh...3-9fc1815ea17e)

no AA results

w / old: aa results
Old Aug 7, 2010, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by warreng24
matrix.itasoftware.com now loads the Beta (what was previously matrix2.itasoftware.com)[/url]
I noticed the same thing yesterday evening when doing an airfare search for some Fall travel. And my first thought was " Nooooooooooooooo " ! I am always a bit disappointed when websites that I have become familiar with are " updated " and " improved ". As noted by previous posters, I am sure it is at least partly a resistance to change. But it always seems that the new and improved site doesn't do some things as well as the site we are used to. Sort of like getting a new pair of shoes I suppose.

I did realize after a bit that the original ITA site was still available. And although I am sure that the Matrix 2 site has improvements, I really hope that ITA leaves the Matrix 1 site available for a long time.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 5:02 pm

I just use this link http://matrix1.itasoftware.com
Old Aug 7, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: M&M
I have much simpler issue with Matrix2: more than occasionally it fails to render the input form completely (there is one drop down menu rendered, that's it). Sometimes switching between English and German help, sometimes it doesn't. On XP, using IE7 or FF or Chrome, it comes and goes. If I can't enter what I'm looking for it is of no use. Odd thing is I tried on a Czech XP and it flat out refused to render properly in any of the browsers, 100%.

Things I miss: exclude airlines option on the 30 day calendar, and most of all the right clickable links (open in new tab). The later alone kills Matrix2 for me. Not to mention when you have a less then ideal connection you don't know when is Matrix timing out and when is the network dying, since the Ajax thing won't say anything to you.

Originally Posted by nzpilot
For those looking for language assists using ITA Matrix 1, here is a help link. Nothing new really. Always been available as help in upper right corner of Matrix 1.

Like most languages, it's a bit cryptic, but v powerful.....
People are talking about the fare expression commnds, not the route expression ones.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
We are all new to Matrix2, so I could be wrong, but...

Originally Posted by khunbill
...The Modify Search button of Matrix1 does not appear in Matrix2 forcing the user to back track and start all over again.
I believe the "search" link at the top right of the results page serves the same purpose.

Originally Posted by nzpilot
The power of using language commands in Matrix 1 to limit search to specific fares & airlines is fantastic. I do not see the same power in Matrix 2.
All of those commands for specifying or excluding airlines, airports, fare buckets, etc, can be used in Matrix2. Just keep typing in the box as you would have in Matrix1.

Last edited by aktchi; Aug 7, 2010 at 9:50 pm
Old Aug 8, 2010, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, TSA PreCheck
I'd like to report a positive interaction with ITA Engineering. I used the comment link on matrix1 to report a problem and I initially received a nice note that my report was not reproducible later that day. However, just a few minutes later, I received another e-mail that confirmed they did indeed find a problem.

Thought I'd give it another go today but the 1st attempt failed with a large price delta though a positive calendar result when compared to Matrix1.

Searched: rdu::AA+ rsw AA+ to sfo;lax;sea::AA+ for 0 nights in September and Matrix2 showed flights starting at $444 on Sept 3. Select that day and click show flights though and your pricing starts at $594 though so something is amiss.

If I search in Matrix1 for this time period using specific dates it starts with a $383 option.

To be fair Matrix1 calendar search reports no flights at all so I view this as a positive and negative for Matrix2.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by FrankTalk
People are talking about the fare expression commnds, not the route expression ones.
Duhh, actually I was responding to post #6 which in part said:
Originally Posted by aktchi
....Oh, and please publish the route language. You don't have to "support" it, just let us know what the syntax and commands are, so we don't have to depend on leaks and accidental discoveries.
For fare language I have found one workaround for those of us who are KVS diamond members. Do a fare basis search for a particular route then R-click a specific fare and select the dropdown option of "Find Flights Using This Fare (ITA)." This will bring up ITA with all the query language already spelled out. A bit awkward for all searching, so make note of the fare limitation language for future direct entry into ITA.

Originally Posted by aktchi
All of those commands for specifying or excluding airlines, airports, fare buckets, etc, can be used in Matrix2. Just keep typing in the box as you would have in Matrix1.
Now this is good news. Haven't tried it, but it is encouraging to hear. Still the basic fault for me is that Matrix2 is not producing the reliable results of Matrix1 as noted in post # 13 above....
Old Aug 9, 2010, 3:00 am

Programs: M&M: SEN, SPG & PC Platinum, HHilton: Gold, Avis: Presidents Club
Hi!

I recognized some differences in the results of ITA with Kayak, which is listed on the mainpage of ITA

9/11 - 10/9
HAJ-GVA

Cheapest in general: (Sales cities BOS / BER)
Matrix1: 232USD / 176EUR
Matrix2: 232USD / 176EUR
Kayak: 239USD / 141EUR

Cheapest *A:
Matrix1: 261USD / 198EUR
Matrix2: 261USD / 198EUR
Kayak: 239USD / 141EUR

Matrix 1 & 2 have the same airfares for Boston and Berlin. With Kayak I get different airfares if I search from GER or form USA.

Last week I had the same for HAJ-MXP (9/22-9/27). But there the LH page had the lowest airfare at all, but Kayak got lower than both Matrix...

Daniel
Old Aug 9, 2010, 7:59 am

Welcome to FT danielschwarz!
I would think ITA would welcome comparison feedback....
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:20 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Dirt, Wyndham Rewards
Matrix 2 looks usable, but I'll stick with Matrix 1. But then I run an older computer (by choice), so invariably older versions work better. Thank you for providing the option.

I use the time bar/graphic format for looking at schedules. In Matrix 1, I could mouse over the bar and see some flight info and layover length. Matrix 2 hides this useful information. Useful to me, since I'm willing to take a long layover in some places but not others.

Date entry on both is annoying, but far more flexible in Matrix 1. That said, Matrix 2 has some nifty bells and whistles--availability of food and in-flight entertainment.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum
For me, it went straight to matrix1. I hadnt even noticed the new address until this posting.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by zphelj
I'd like to report a positive interaction with ITA Engineering.
Sadly, my second bug report is not positive. A response from ITA took much longer and when it arrived it suggested only a basic course of action which had nothing to do with the issue I reported. It appeared to be a form letter response based on gross symptoms. Overall a very disappointing outcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.