Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) HA: ICN-HNL-LAS/PHX/PDX/etc C class 699 USD RT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Gone) HA: ICN-HNL-LAS/PHX/PDX/etc C class 699 USD RT

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:05 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Originally Posted by philosophy_king
Good luck!!! So you thinking of going to refund your "back-up" flight too?
Nope.... That's why this deal was so amazing for me in the first place.... I already had plans to be in HNL during Christmas to visit one of my swimmers and hadn't got a ticket yet.... So when this deal popped up, I was all over it! The ticket on UA was a fantastic deal, so I'm still heading out.....

If I was Stateside, I would probably go all out on the lawsuit thing, but over here, as somebody else said, it's just too difficult to take on....
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:09 pm

I was able to switch my original date of June to much later in the year, Sept flying "first" on Hawaii Airlines. Flying business class on Korean Air would have been wonderful but due to work (limited amt of vacation days) the switch in date was more appealing. The agents were very helpful. Hopefully they will be as accommodating and courteous to you as they are to me.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by bcereus2278
I was able to switch my original date of June to much later in the year, Sept flying "first" on Hawaii Airlines. Flying business class on Korean Air would have been wonderful but due to work (limited amt of vacation days) the switch in date was more appealing. The agents were very helpful. Hopefully they will be as accommodating and courteous to you as they are to me.
Glad that it works out for you. For me I don't think I can move my date to next year... Since my plan is set for this one and also can't plan a trip that far ahead into next year..... By the way haven't heard back from the lawyers from this thread for a while? Good good?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Well they finally got around to 'downgrading' the itinerary to coach on the Korean Air segment. In a way that sets into motion a cause for a lawsuit, so at least things can progress. Mr Arimoto at HA is terrible with returning calls, it's been over three weeks now and he still hasn't returned my call!
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:36 pm

Yes, that's right! Things can be progress now!
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
I finally received an e-mail from HA in response to my DOT complaint for the HA's cancellation of my booking. Now, I am planning of filing another complaint to DOT for the downgrading of the ICN-HNL segment.

------------------

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXX:

We received your complaint to the Department of Transportation.

We have accommodated you in coach on MM DD from Incheon to Honolulu on Korean Airlines and kept you in first-class from Honolulu to Los Angeles on Hawaiian Airlines.

If you no longer wish to travel, you may call 800-367-5320 for a full
refund.

Hawaiian Airlines considers its response to be fair and appropriate, and
respectfully, Hawaiian Airlines considers this matter closed.

Sincerely,

XXXX XXXXXX
Hawaiian Airlines
Consumer Affairs Office
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:53 pm

Programs: Delta PM
"fair and appropriate" -- nope. "HA considers this matter closed." Yeah, right. More like, "we understand that we completely violated the contract that we entered into with you, but are hoping that the harder the line we take, the more likely you are to back off.

are they begging for a suit? my take is that they are trying to do just enough that people will take one of their measly options and not file a class action. I say those who are still left in this fight should bring it. if they'd been honest from the start and done a mea culpa, that's one thing, but to be so presumptuous and treat customers like this is really bad and they should be held accountable.

Originally Posted by blueslip
I finally received an e-mail from HA in response to my DOT complaint for the HA's cancellation of my booking. Now, I am planning of filing another complaint to DOT for the downgrading of the ICN-HNL segment.

------------------

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXX:

We received your complaint to the Department of Transportation.

We have accommodated you in coach on MM DD from Incheon to Honolulu on Korean Airlines and kept you in first-class from Honolulu to Los Angeles on Hawaiian Airlines.

If you no longer wish to travel, you may call 800-367-5320 for a full
refund.

Hawaiian Airlines considers its response to be fair and appropriate, and
respectfully, Hawaiian Airlines considers this matter closed.

Sincerely,

XXXX XXXXXX
Hawaiian Airlines
Consumer Affairs Office
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:09 pm

I've got a meeting with one of our lawyers in the office tomorrow. She's gracefully offered to help and give me pointers on how to file and present my case in small claims. The good thing is we work in the airline industry and she's well versed on IATA regs.

The thing that bugs me is HA keeps sending me correspondence stating "invalid fare," and it's not, it's a MISTAKE FARE and it was their poorly handled mistake! If it was "invalid" I would never have been able to book it!
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I finally received a call from HA Japan for the first time.

After dealing with HA two weeks ago, getting my ticket fixed, now with a schedule change my ticket became illegal again.

Will update when I find out more.

Last edited by fumitani; Aug 31, 2010 at 8:46 am
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:22 pm

agreed. and, when you push this point with the agents on the phone, they say that they're not authorized to talk about the difference between "mistake" and "invalid" (or their contract of carriage) and they direct you to their general legal department phone. Surprise -- they don't answer. I've been working with my attorney, as well, and would be interested to compare notes. From what I've gathered, there are *extremely* specific regulations governing code-share arrangements and that even a straight switch from a booked Korean business seat to a Hawaiian business class seat without your approval is a huge no-no. So, essentially, HA is trying to strong-arm folks into a position that they are really not authorized to put people in.

Originally Posted by denCSA
I've got a meeting with one of our lawyers in the office tomorrow. She's gracefully offered to help and give me pointers on how to file and present my case in small claims. The good thing is we work in the airline industry and she's well versed on IATA regs.

The thing that bugs me is HA keeps sending me correspondence stating "invalid fare," and it's not, it's a MISTAKE FARE and it was their poorly handled mistake! If it was "invalid" I would never have been able to book it!
Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:51 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Red face

I still haven't called them back yet about the offers (after the initial contact), since I don't travel until December. Pretty interesting to read that "we consider this matter closed" part in that letter though....

I'd love to do something from over here, but as I mentioned before, it's a bit too complicated from here in Korea. However, if anybody needs to 'go in with numbers' I'd be happy to provide my support.... Feel free to PM me.

I'd also love to hear any specific legal advice after somebody meets with an attorney. Since this board has cooled down somewhat..... Still all quite interesting......
Old Aug 31, 2010, 6:23 am

Agreed. Makes sense since they are obviously monitoring the board. And, because of that, it might also make sense to take the legal conversation "off line." If there are any other folks who still haven't accepted offers are interested in comparing notes offline, PM me and I can think about how to pull a group of us together.

I was ready to just let this go until I got the "we consider this matter closed" tack. First you reneg on a contract, then you decide the matter is closed? I don't think so.

Originally Posted by Paella747
I still haven't called them back yet about the offers (after the initial contact), since I don't travel until December. Pretty interesting to read that "we consider this matter closed" part in that letter though....

I'd love to do something from over here, but as I mentioned before, it's a bit too complicated from here in Korea. However, if anybody needs to 'go in with numbers' I'd be happy to provide my support.... Feel free to PM me.

I'd also love to hear any specific legal advice after somebody meets with an attorney. Since this board has cooled down somewhat..... Still all quite interesting......
Old Aug 31, 2010, 7:54 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by NYCtennis
From what I've gathered, there are *extremely* specific regulations governing code-share arrangements and that even a straight switch from a booked Korean business seat to a Hawaiian business class seat without your approval is a huge no-no.
It would be useful to know what regulation you are referring to here (at least, local US or IATA driven).
Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:10 am

Here is the link for the IATA schedules manual. The relevant pages concerning IATA codeshare standards and regs is on pages 550-562. In this case (HA/KE) they are operating under the 'commercial duplicate' relationship. This is the 2006 IATA manual, but nothing has changed since concerning the codeshare sections. It is a protected PDF so no copying and pasting will work, but use it as a reference.

IATA Standard Schedules Information Manual

PS - It's a BIG file so the pages will take time to load
Old Aug 31, 2010, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by NYCtennis
Agreed. Makes sense since they are obviously monitoring the board. And, because of that, it might also make sense to take the legal conversation "off line." If there are any other folks who still haven't accepted offers are interested in comparing notes offline, PM me and I can think about how to pull a group of us together.
+1 ^. I am sure HA is watching this thread very closely and we should keep the legal aspect discussion offline. BTW, I just sent you a PM.

Originally Posted by denCSA
Here is the link for the IATA schedules manual. The relevant pages concerning IATA codeshare standards and regs is on pages 550-562. In this case (HA/KE) they are operating under the 'commercial duplicate' relationship. This is the 2006 IATA manual, but nothing has changed since concerning the codeshare sections. It is a protected PDF so no copying and pasting will work, but use it as a reference.

IATA Standard Schedules Information Manual

PS - It's a BIG file so the pages will take time to load
Thanks for the reference. This will be a great help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.