Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Crazy idea. buy cheap ticket to earn EQS

Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

will be free next week. just have a crazy thought. buy some really cheap cheap UA tickets to earn some EQS. base in BUF.
where can i search those cheap tickets?

i know it is crazy
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:28 pm

If you think its nuts you haven't seen anything and most of the people around here are absolutely f*~!#@ crazy. As crazy as you think it sounds, check back here in November/December.

Go check out the Mileage Run forum, there is more info there than you could possibly need.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:30 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Here's a link to the proper forum; good luck!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...iscussion-627/
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Dude! Your "crazy" idea is too sweet and innocent to be crazy, compared to what you will see here at FT! You ain't seen nothing yet!
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Well, number 1 ... welcome to FT.

Number two, your addication already has started. Your crasy idea is what we call "mileage runs." You find cheap fares and take a trip with no intent other than earning EQMs and EQSs.

Way too much to put in a post here tonight .... I'm almost off to bed. But search for "mileage runs" and read the 5,000 to 7,000 threads on FT that deal with this subject.

You are lucky to live close to a coast, as do I. Best bang for the buck is flying coast to coast in one day, or maybe an overnight trip. I often can get 5,000 EQMs and 4-6 segments in a same-day turn around, transcon, often starting at $160 (SMF-PHL) and up to $200 SMF-BOS

You might also want to check the forums for "Mileage Run Deals" and Milage Run Discussions."

Crazy??? Out of the mouth of babes!
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:27 am

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Platium, SPG
Originally Posted by superpanjy
will be free next week. just have a crazy thought. buy some really cheap cheap UA tickets to earn some EQS. base in BUF.

i know it is crazy
Also welcome...

You want crazy? Look up Bhat Run. (doesn't work anymore...btw)

As you read though the board, you will discover it is easier and cheaper to make status on miles than on segments.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by kevinsac
Well, number 1 ... welcome to FT.

Number two, your addication already has started. Your crasy idea is what we call "mileage runs." You find cheap fares and take a trip with no intent other than earning EQMs and EQSs.

Way too much to put in a post here tonight .... I'm almost off to bed. But search for "mileage runs" and read the 5,000 to 7,000 threads on FT that deal with this subject.

You are lucky to live close to a coast, as do I. Best bang for the buck is flying coast to coast in one day, or maybe an overnight trip. I often can get 5,000 EQMs and 4-6 segments in a same-day turn around, transcon, often starting at $160 (SMF-PHL) and up to $200 SMF-BOS

You might also want to check the forums for "Mileage Run Deals" and Milage Run Discussions."

Crazy??? Out of the mouth of babes!
+1

I live in DEN, which is kind of a bad place to start a MR, however, I just purchased a two day Mileage run that will give me 9000+ miles. I paid around 450. If you do a bit of searching, we can help you find the cheapest trip that earns you the most miles!

BTW, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Apr 28, 2010, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
superpanjy, welcome to FT, read and learn, I prefer long flight on EQM it is easier for me than on segments.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 4:54 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Segments have their place depending on the programme. If you're solely qualifying on EQS, then its a big bonus.

Similarly, if you're on a FFP that pays out more than average per segment (600 vs 500 miles), Segments are always fun (unless you're stuck at the IAD penalty box - again...).
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:46 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by superpanjy

i know it is crazy
1) It's not crazy, well at least not around here

2) One place to look is the flyertalk pages on farecompare

http://www.farecompare.com/flyertalk

You put in Buffalo as where you want to start, you pick only United (or Star Alliance if you want to fly other partners) and then sort on price. You may have to dig for segments, it only gives you miles and price and price per mile, but it's a start.

And of course, welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Enjoy!

Enjoy your mileage run - just remember there is a difference between collecting miles or being addicted to collection.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
superpanjy, it all depends on your purpose for earning EQS. I presume you are trying to achieve a certain elite level. Achieving an elite level by EQS is more difficult than EQM. If you do not fly much, then an elite level may not mean as much.

An easy way to add EQS is adding extra segments to your existing itinerary. i.e. fly from BOS to LAX, you fly BOS-IAD-SFO-LAX. Usually these extra segments cost very little in addition to airport tax.

Good luck and welcome to the club.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: * A
welcome to the world of MR! enjoy your time up in the air
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Smile

Thank you guys. I do enjoy sharing those ideas here.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Man, you are craaaaazy!

Seriously, BUF is a good starting point for a mileage run. Since I joined FT, I have done the following MRs out of BUF:

Feb 3-4/10 BUF-IAD-SFO-SBA-SJC-SBA-LAX-IAD-BUF, 7696 SM, 8 segments, $285 - $250 credit = $35

June 3/09 BUF-IAD-DEN-ABQ-DEN-ORD-BUF, 4360 SM, 6 segments, $210 - $150 credit = $60

Sept 10-11/08 BUF-CLT-PHL-SAN-IAD-CLT-BUF, 6702 SM, 6 segments, $203 - $100 credit = $103

Dec 4-5/07 BUF-IAD-SFO-LAX-LAS-SFO-PIT-CLT-BUF, 7718 SM, 8 segments, $192

Sept 18-19/07 BUF-IAD-ORD-MLI-DEN-ONT-SFO-ORD-MDT-IAD-BUF, 7090 SM, 10 segments, $280

Obviously, I'm a segment runner, and thankfully on AC, I get 500 miles for even the short segments. The first MR I did was 10 segments long, and that was about 2 segments too many. I was fed up.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.