Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) AC: SFO-PEK RT $533 a/i (was SFO-HKG; Cheapo air; min stay)

(FARE GONE) AC: SFO-PEK RT $533 a/i (was SFO-HKG; Cheapo air; min stay)

Old Apr 29, 10, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by mtensioners View Post
just booked YYZ-HNL Exec at lower price on AC than Cheapo.SHAZZAM!
Cheapoair is not that great. I discovered it when this fare came up a few months back and since then I've been regularly checking it. I've never discovered any other deal like this and more than once it has been worse than other booking engines. Plus, I really hate the deceptive prices they display, where the fuel surcharge is never included and you need to go to the second page to see the final price. If it hadn't been for the SFO-HKG deal, I'd never pay any attention to them.
Old Apr 30, 10, 5:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, CO MM Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by koroleon View Post
Cheapoair is not that great. I discovered it when this fare came up a few months back and since then I've been regularly checking it. I've never discovered any other deal like this and more than once it has been worse than other booking engines. Plus, I really hate the deceptive prices they display, where the fuel surcharge is never included and you need to go to the second page to see the final price. If it hadn't been for the SFO-HKG deal, I'd never pay any attention to them.
Are you sure about that? The SEA-HKG fare has been exactly the same for all the dates I checked, $553.83 (I bought three over the next nine months). Simply click on taxes on the first page to see the total...there is no fuel surcharge??? One call to AC got my OnePass # added and better aisle seats than the ones I was given when I bought them. As has been mentioned several times, books into S + L class for full EQM and RDM with Plat bonus Not really sure what you're talking about...except one thing: it is a great deal!
Old Apr 30, 10, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by emcsweeney View Post
Are you sure about that? The SEA-HKG fare has been exactly the same for all the dates I checked, $553.83 (I bought three over the next nine months). Simply click on taxes on the first page to see the total...there is no fuel surcharge??? One call to AC got my OnePass # added and better aisle seats than the ones I was given when I bought them. As has been mentioned several times, books into S + L class for full EQM and RDM with Plat bonus Not really sure what you're talking about...except one thing: it is a great deal!
So it seems The poster before me boasted that he booked an unrelated ticket elsewhere for a lower price. To me that implied a general expectation to find the best possible price at cheapoair for all fares, to which I raised my objections. For example:

SFO-PEK Sep 2-10:
Fly on ANA:
Cheapoair: $867.07 + $337.02 = $1,204.09
Expedia: $1,186.90 (for exactly the same flights)

This was the first search I tried. So cheapoair has a worse deal and on the first page it displays the misleading $867 price and you need to go to the second page to see the final price.

So, in conclusion: SEA-HKG is a great deal and can only be booked on cheapoair. My point was that cheapoair has been disappointing when searching for other fares. That won't prohibit me from booking a good deal on cheapoair when I can find one, it's just that I won't be using it as a primary search engine.
Old Apr 30, 10, 6:28 pm

Location: Midwest United States (and anywhere a cheap fare takes me)
Programs: Marriott (Gold), Hilton (Gold), SWA (CP), Hertz (5*), UA (Nobody), AA (Lifetime Gold)
SFO-PEK Sep 2-10:
Fly on ANA:
I share your frustration regard "+" pricing rather than "AI" pricing, especially when there's a booking fee invloved. Unfortunatately, El Cheapo is not the only online booking engine with that weakness. That's why I use KVS, Kayak and other multi-site tools.

BTW, when I put in your example, koroleon, I got...

1 Adult
Base Price: 914.00
Taxes & Fees: 212.90
Total per person:
# of Travelers: 1
Sub Total: USD
Trip Protection Insurance: 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
Promo Code
I have a Promotional Code: Apply
Old Price: $1,126.90
Instant Discount Promotion: $-12.00
Handling Fees:
Total Charge: $1,114.90

(To be fair, when I used the Promo button it switchwed to Cathay and dropped a Dragonair segment in. )
Old May 1, 10, 10:24 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, CO MM Lifetime Gold
So it seems The poster before me boasted that he booked an unrelated ticket elsewhere for a lower price. To me that implied a general expectation to find the best possible price at cheapoair for all fares, to which I raised my objections. For example:

SFO-PEK Sep 2-10:
Fly on ANA:

This was the first search I tried. So cheapoair has a worse deal and on the first page it displays the misleading $867 price and you need to go to the second page to see the final price.

So, in conclusion: SEA-HKG is a great deal and can only be booked on cheapoair. My point was that cheapoair has been disappointing when searching for other fares. That won't prohibit me from booking a good deal on cheapoair when I can find one, it's just that I won't be using it as a primary search engine.
Fair enough, I wasn't looking close enough at your example. However, as was stated early on in this thread, none of the great deals we were all going on about do not start until after Labor Day weekend. For example, I just plugged several dates for SFO-PEK in late Sept/early Oct and get $623 all-in on AC.
Old May 2, 10, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
I tried some of AC other cities and found SYD didnt work
I have also tried BKK and SIN with no luck
Old May 2, 10, 7:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by why fly View Post
i wonder if BKK or SIN work?
They don't. I've tried.
Old May 2, 10, 1:07 pm

Programs: Altitude 50K
I might go to Expo 2010 in Shanghai for $611 all in. Flights have an 8-14 hour layover in YVR in both directions from SFO allowing me to sleep in my own bed. Will also tie in a visit to some clients in SFO to maximize that time.

BTW, the NY15 code is still working.

Booked. Sept 24 - Oct 1. And, they must be getting better because it was ticketed within a couple hours.

The seat requests and my AP# didn't pass through to AC, so I called the Elite line and had it all set up without a problem.

Last edited by YVR72; May 3, 10 at 12:24 am Reason: BOOKED IT!
Old May 3, 10, 3:08 am

unable to understand what u are saying
Old May 3, 10, 7:20 am

Programs: AC *P
Originally Posted by premeet01245 View Post
unable to understand who you are referring to (or what you are saying for that matter)
Old May 3, 10, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by premeet01245 View Post
Sorry - I forgot I wasn't posting to the Air Canada forum...

I live in YVR so I have to reposition to SFO to take advantage of this deal. But, it works out well because I have clients in SFO I can visit, and during the long stopovers in YVR on the SFO-PVG flights, I can come home.
Old May 4, 10, 11:13 am

If Im arrive in Vancouver at 8:30 PM and leaving at 2:05AM do you think I got enough time to go into the city?

Skytrain is like a 30 min trip each way.
Old May 4, 10, 11:40 am

someone emailed me a post from 1st class flyer. It said save 65% to Europe on AC this summer. I looked on line booking but nothing came up. Is this for real?
Old May 4, 10, 3:09 pm

Yes, I think you'd have enough time to go into the city. Keep in mind when the last Skytrain goes back (I think around 1 AM).
Old May 4, 10, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by dakid23 View Post
If Im arrive in Vancouver at 8:30 PM and leaving at 2:05AM do you think I got enough time to go into the city?

Skytrain is like a 30 min trip each way.
Yes - you definitely should hop on the CANADA LINE train and get off at YALETOWN-ROUNDHOUSE (about 20 minutes).

When you pop out of the subway at that station, there are two streets (Mainland and Hamilton) full of restaurants and bars. It is a 20-40 year old, hip crowd - but even if you are not in that demographic - still a fun place to grab a bite. Then, wander down to the False Creek seawall for a short late night stroll.

Get back on the train around 12:30ish to get you back to the airport with plenty of time.

Search this Thread