Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) AC: SFO-PEK RT $533 a/i (was SFO-HKG; Cheapo air; min stay)

(FARE GONE) AC: SFO-PEK RT $533 a/i (was SFO-HKG; Cheapo air; min stay)

Old Apr 18, 10, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA1K, VXgold
Hi,

I was able to find a fare in Oct searching on cheapoair. Their website is not great for searching various options, like city pairs, connections, alt. dates, etc.

If i search the same exact flights in ITA, it's twice as much. What gives?

Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 10, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC *P
Originally Posted by crunchy View Post
I got myself one of these yesterday and it was ticketed today. I received no e-mail from anybody saying it was ticketed, but I could see it myself after logging into the AC website with my record locator. I got that from checkmytrip.com immediately after purchasing. So today I called AC to add my UA MP number and get some seats. After waiting 40 min on hold (expected due to the volcano fiasco) I was quickly reminded that last time I flew Air Canada I vowed never to fly them again (oops). The CSR had an attitude problem from the start. Maybe it had something to do with the fare and what I paid for it. Anyway, I got the MP# added but he told me the company I bought it from would have to assign the seats, and they were supposed to do the MP number too, but that he was doing me a favor. Didn't I read that other people got their seats assigned by calling? Is he full of sh*t? Should I just try calling again?

On another note: my middle initial and first name are run together without a space. When I asked about adding the space, he barked in the most condescending tone possible "there are no spaces in airline tickets". While I've seen this several times before, I'm pretty sure I've also seen a space. Is he right about that?

Now I'm not looking forward to this long, long journey anymore.

SFO-YYZ
YYZ-HKG
HKG-YVR
YVR-SFO
What you experienced is technically appropriate. The booking agency (Cheapoair) has control of the booking and AC is technically not supposed to modify the booking. Cheapoair has the ability and the obligation upon request to add your MP number and assign seats.

While there may be a space in the itin, there are no spaces in plane tickets.
Old Apr 18, 10, 5:11 pm

Programs: AC *P
Originally Posted by artieb78 View Post
Hi,

I was able to find a fare in Oct searching on cheapoair. Their website is not great for searching various options, like city pairs, connections, alt. dates, etc.

If i search the same exact flights in ITA, it's twice as much. What gives?

Thanks.
In case you missed it, the Cheapoair fare is not a published fare, so that is why you won't find it on ITA.

Use ITA to check inventory.
Old Apr 18, 10, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1K MM, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mudd_stuffin View Post
What you experienced is technically appropriate. The booking agency (Cheapoair) has control of the booking and AC is technically not supposed to modify the booking.
Assigning seats is hardly a modification to a booking. I never experience this unwillingness to lift a finger at other airlines, most notably not at UA. I always book through AMEX travel for my business itineraries and go through UA to make changes, cancellations, and whatever else while they have the same rule on the books.

There's just a culture of bad attitude at AC IMHO, and not just on the phone. I've experienced it on many many occasions and not just on the phone.
Old Apr 18, 10, 8:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, CO MM Lifetime Gold
...Now how about those seats? If I have to be in a middle seat on those longhauls I don't think I can take it. Zanax & Ambien here I come.
What you experienced is technically appropriate. The booking agency (Cheapoair) has control of the booking and AC is technically not supposed to modify the booking. Cheapoair has the ability and the obligation upon request to add your MP number and assign seats..
You actually can request an "aisle seat" on their website, just not which seat. My aisle seats were assigned within 24 hours and I was able to see them at both, checkmytrip.com and AC.com, but I couldn't make the change w/o calling AC where I didn't have a problem at all (for all three trips I booked ).

FWIW, if you go back and re-request a seat after it's already been assigned, the following message appears:

Your seat requests have been sent to the airline. Please contact the airline directly for confirmation, change or cancellation of your seat assignment.
Old Apr 18, 10, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Wirelessly posted (BB Curve: BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.330 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Originally Posted by crunchy
What you experienced is technically appropriate. The booking agency (Cheapoair) has control of the booking and AC is technically not supposed to modify the booking.
Assigning seats is hardly a modification to a booking. I never experience this unwillingness to lift a finger at other airlines, most notably not at UA. I always book through AMEX travel for my business itineraries and go through UA to make changes, cancellations, and whatever else while they have the same rule on the books.

There's just a culture of bad attitude at AC IMHO, and not just on the phone. I've experienced it on many many occasions and not just on the phone.
Actually, what Mudd_stuffin said is true. I know some airline reservation agents (not on AC) personally and they have tried to help with bookings for me and my friends. On some it is not a problem, but certain fare classes and origin of ticketing (like vayama.com) actually does have restrictions and requires the agent to over-ride the reservation system in order to accommodate the request. Most agents will not go and get the over-ride for those tix. I had one situation where the fare did not allow for seating assignment and he happened to be working the desk that did manual over-ride that day and explained to me the process/restrictions.
Old Apr 18, 10, 9:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, CO MM Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld View Post
Wirelessly posted (BB Curve: BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.330 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Actually, what Mudd_stuffin said is true. I know some airline reservation agents (not on AC) personally and they have tried to help with bookings for me and my friends. On some it is not a problem, but certain fare classes and origin of ticketing (like vayama.com) actually does have restrictions and requires the agent to over-ride the reservation system in order to accommodate the request. Most agents will not go and get the over-ride for those tix. I had one situation where the fare did not allow for seating assignment and he happened to be working the desk that did manual over-ride that day and explained to me the process/restrictions.
I had no problems calling three different times. In fact, I thought they were very helpful. I guess it all depends on how you go about it...or how nice you are when asking. Who knows, maybe it's just how they view UA pax
Old Apr 18, 10, 10:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA 1K 1MM, IC PLAT AMB, HH Diamond, AVIS Pres, Hertz President's Circle
Booked one trip LAX-HKG for an extra $ 50.00, which allows routing thru YYZ and nets about 5k more on the r/t for a total shy of 20k. My itinerary shows a
"S" fare to/from YYZ and "L" to/from HKG. As per UA website that means 100% mileage credit, with 1K bonus nearly 40k. Looking for a couple more trips, but it's getting tougher to find a YYZ routing on both ways.
Old Apr 18, 10, 11:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA *S, SPG/MR Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, pleb in all the rest
What you experienced is technically appropriate. The booking agency (Cheapoair) has control of the booking and AC is technically not supposed to modify the booking. Cheapoair has the ability and the obligation upon request to add your MP number and assign seats.

While there may be a space in the itin, there are no spaces in plane tickets.
When I called AC after I made my booking, the agent added my MP number for me without any issue. He also gave me free bulkhead seats for the flights to and from HKG, which are supposed to be reserved for AC elites. I'm not even a UA elite yet (that happens tomorrow). Maybe he was in a good mood or something.
Old Apr 19, 10, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Now how about those seats? If I have to be in a middle seat on those longhauls I don't think I can take it. Zanax & Ambien here I come.
SOMEBODY has to sit in the middle seats - where's your community spirit ?
Old Apr 19, 10, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
This fit in so spookily well with my travel plans I should have known there was a catch....

Cheapofares may have global reach through the internet, but its international horizon is fixed firmly on the US and Canada. It can't accept credit cards issued elsewhere
Old Apr 19, 10, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
This fit in so spookily well with my travel plans I should have known there was a catch....

Cheapofares may have global reach through the internet, but its international horizon is fixed firmly on the US and Canada. It can't accept credit cards issued elsewhere
You can always give it a try. I've had success in the past when the US based airlines would not accept foreign credit cards even for bookings originating in Asia. Just put in the address to the best of your ability even if you can't change the country.
Old Apr 19, 10, 2:01 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, AA, SPG - Gold, LM
Originally Posted by Henwurst View Post
You can always give it a try. I've had success in the past when the US based airlines would not accept foreign credit cards even for bookings originating in Asia. Just put in the address to the best of your ability even if you can't change the country.
The Credit Card authorization engine just look for the street (or door) # and the zip code. If this two matched, it will go ahead and do the rest of the billing. Give it shot, you never know

I had success with my multiple CC from Asia, all the time.
Old Apr 19, 10, 3:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite; SPG Platinum
Anyone had any luck tacking on a leg after HKG (preferably to BKK or HKT) without substantially raising the price? I like HKG, but it's expensive to fly from there to almost anywhere.
Old Apr 19, 10, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Booked LAX-HKG and return PVG-LAX for $538 ai. Great connection timing, not found on other flights from LAX and SFO.

Search this Thread