Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Earning Miles with Vayama's special fares?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG,AA EXP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond

Does anyone know if you can earn miles with Vayama's special fares....they have a great deal for C class to Sydney in Dec at 3997 including all taxes and fees on a star alliance carrier. But it does give the fare class. Any help from anyone?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:15 pm

Programs: UAL Gold DL Silver Hilton GoldMarriott Gold
Did you email Vayama? Might be a good start.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 6:17 pm

To travelRN777 -

To determine if the itinerary you are interested in booking through vayama will be in an acceptable class of service for the Frequent Flyer program you are interested in, take the following steps.
1. Following your search on vayama, click on the “Fare Details” button located directly below the itinerary for which you are interested
2. Within the “fare details” information that is displayed, review the “Fare Basis Codes” that are associated with each flight segment for the itinerary selected. The first letter of each “fare basis code” represents the “class of service code” for that flight. (Example: “N” is the class of service code when the fare basis code is NA03EQY1; “Q” is the class of service code when the fare basis code is QA0KY; etc.

Hope this information is helpful to you. If you decided to book with Vayama, then have any follow-up questions or concerns, send me an email to [email protected] Attnavid. I'll get back to you promptly and assist you however I can.

Happy Travels!
David
Vayama Customer Relations Manager
Old May 4, 2010, 4:29 pm

I recently purchased a flight using the Vayama "special fare" via Skyteam. Come to find out afterwards the Airfrance flight was "N class" and not eligible for Delta frequent flyer miles. In retrospect I should have considered this purchase like a "priceline" purchase which is not eligible for frequent flyer miles. I didn't think the fact that the flight was not eligible for frequent flyer miles was adequately disclosed up-front at the time of purchase, however, especially since the particular frequent flyer alliance was specifically advertised.
Old May 4, 2010, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by davandyke
I recently purchased a flight using the Vayama "special fare" via Skyteam. Come to find out afterwards the Airfrance flight was "N class" and not eligible for Delta frequent flyer miles. In retrospect I should have considered this purchase like a "priceline" purchase which is not eligible for frequent flyer miles. I didn't think the fact that the flight was not eligible for frequent flyer miles was adequately disclosed up-front at the time of purchase, however, especially since the particular frequent flyer alliance was specifically advertised.
Actually no since Vayama displays fare buckets which you can easily cross-reference against the program you're crediting. You should have looked up the Air France chart on the Delta site here: http://skymilesoffers.delta.com/airline_partners.php#AF

Where it specifically states: "Class Exclusions: L, N, O, G, X"

Don't blame Vayama for failure of due diligence.
Old May 4, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Airfrance.com also sells L and N class tickets

I just bought a ticket right on the Air France website and obtained L and N class seats. Of course, I saw this and checked the Delta site before I purchased. Sure, I am disappointed. However, Air France was $400 cheaper than LH and LX to Europe. $400 > 8000 miles in my opinion.
Old May 4, 2010, 7:56 pm

I'm actually not sure that the "fare basis codes" are displayed prior to purchase for the Vayama "special fares" (where you choose only the alliance, but are not given the name of the specific airline until after purchase). If in fact AirFrance sells seats in these classes on their own website without clearly specifying that they will not earn frequent flyer miles at the time of purchase, I guess Vayama can't be held to a higher standard. Is this common practice among airlines to have fares that do not earn any frequent flyer miles, or is it unique to Air France? I had not had such an experience before with a partner airline of one of the major alliances. My advice to the original poster would be that unless you can find the specific "fare basis code" for the Vayama "special fare" you should make the assumption that you won't get frequent flyer miles.
Old May 5, 2010, 12:20 am

It is quite common (IME) for airlines to offer fares that either:

a. Do not accrue miles/points anywhere, OR

b. ONLY accrue to THAT airlines FF program.

Just something to be aware of......
Old May 7, 2010, 2:09 pm

Earning Miles with Vayama Special Fares

Davandyke - Go back to my post on Apr 21. I provide information on how to determine the booking class following a vayama search [and available BEFORE you book] even for our "special fares". The information IS there!
Happy Travels!!
David R
Old May 7, 2010, 2:16 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by vayamateam
Davandyke - Go back to my post on Apr 21. I provide information on how to determine the booking class following a vayama search [and available BEFORE you book] even for our "special fares". The information IS there!
Happy Travels!!
David R
Fare class is only helpful if you know who is the carrier!
Old May 11, 2010, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by vayamateam
To determine if the itinerary you are interested in booking through vayama will be in an acceptable class of service for the Frequent Flyer program you are interested in, take the following steps.
1. Following your search on vayama, click on the “Fare Details” button located directly below the itinerary for which you are interested
2. Within the “fare details” information that is displayed, review the “Fare Basis Codes” that are associated with each flight segment for the itinerary selected. The first letter of each “fare basis code” represents the “class of service code” for that flight. (Example: “N” is the class of service code when the fare basis code is NA03EQY1; “Q” is the class of service code when the fare basis code is QA0KY; etc.
For an example a search MSP - DLA Sept 24 to Oct 22 2010 displays a "skyteam special fare." I click on "fare details" button but see no "fare basis codes." If I select either the Air France fare or Delta fares for the same dates flight segments with fare basis codes are included in the "fare details" section so I assume I am looking in the correct place, or am I missing something with the "special fare"?
Old May 12, 2010, 11:55 am

davandyke - Identifying the booking class within a "vayama special fare" is not possible since by contract agreement with the associated airline, we can't disclose the name of the airline nor flight details until AFTER the booking is completed. The trade off on many of these is a lower fare.

If accumulating mileage is a critical issue for you, "vayama special fare" options won't be a good option as you won't know the booking class until after booking. However, more than 85% of the fares and flights we offer on vayama fully disclose the booking class. All of those options WILL provide information on the associated booking class.

Happy Travels!
David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.