Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

With DQEM, is a 38,000-mile AA MR from LBB possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2009, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that

The wife has been thinking about trying to hit EXP. After all the DQEM bonuses for recent flights have posted she should be around 62,000 for the year. Is it possible to hit EXP with only one MR starting and ending in LBB at a reasonable (obviously debatable) fare, using a weekend in November?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 7:40 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Gonna be real tough if you truly can only travel on a Saturday and Sunday.... you cannot even do Australia or Asia with that restriction.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that
I should have clarified that part of Friday or part of Monday could also be considered.

After I posted, I saw a similar thread, so apologies for the doubling up. However, not being in one of the easily accessible hubs (being in the boonies in LBB) changes things just a bit.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:13 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
watch for good fares lax/sfo-jfk....4 trips will do it....if one can sleep on the plane, it could be possible to do 2 in a weekend....good luck....
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
possible? yes. cost effective? likely not.

you could send her to DEL, detouring to W. Coast on the way back. that would not be cost effective, though, and doing MR's through DEL are rigorous.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 11:35 pm
arc

Programs: AA ExPt 1MM, SPG Au
Originally Posted by AAbuzzard
The wife has been thinking about trying to hit EXP. After all the DQEM bonuses for recent flights have posted she should be around 62,000 for the year. Is it possible to hit EXP with only one MR starting and ending in LBB at a reasonable (obviously debatable) fare, using a weekend in November?
Having spent a good deal of time looking at MR deals (including cost effectiveness), about the best deal I found on a cost/mile basis was LBB-DFW-FRA-DFW-LBB. (It can also be done through Chicago if extra segs are desirable for whatever reason.) The DFW-FRA is flight 70 on 777, and can be done departing LBB at 12:40 on Saturday, arriving FRA 7:05 Sunday morning, with the return flight 71 departing FRA at 10:30 Sunday morning, getting in to DFW in time to take the 4:20 on in to LBB (or a later flight if you're trying to avoid the turboflops in December). It can be had for ~800ai.

As noted by benzguy80, if price is no object, LBB-DFW-ORD-DEL-ORD-DFW-LBB is I think the longest single destination on AA metal (without monkeying about with the routing to hit every intermediate airport possible), but it's something on the order of $2600 r/t, and totals 17,572 EQM's before doubling (so 35,144 after doubling).

Good luck.

Last edited by arc; Nov 3, 2009 at 11:51 pm
Old Nov 3, 2009, 11:46 pm
arc

Oh, and as a side note ... I booked my MR to FRA for the weekend before Thanksgiving (departing Fri afternoon, getting back Sunday), for about $820ai ... and having checked a bit thereafter, the fares have only gone up marginally. Keep in mind that the AA metal part of the previous reply (in reference to DEL as a destination) is important, as according to the AA email, the DEQM promo only applies to flights on AA metal, and doesn't apply to codeshare/OW partners.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arc
Oh, and as a side note ... I booked my MR to FRA for the weekend before Thanksgiving (departing Fri afternoon, getting back Sunday), for about $820ai ... and having checked a bit thereafter, the fares have only gone up marginally. Keep in mind that the AA metal part of the previous reply (in reference to DEL as a destination) is important, as according to the AA email, the DEQM promo only applies to flights on AA metal, and doesn't apply to codeshare/OW partners.
I myself did an MR to FRA earlier this year, routing myself first to AUS back to DFW. Still, it would take two of these runs. We've been looking at the benefits (obviously the eVIPs are the biggest) and it may not be in the stars this year. At least we have the first two 2010 TATLs already booked, as destination travel and not MRs (one to TXL, one to CDG).

Thanks for the input.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 4:47 pm

Programs: EXP AA.
Good luck with this, I'm going to make EXP, travelling to LBB, from Scotland. I'm at 68,600 EQM's and can do it with Two, TALT flights from ABZ to Lubbock, one in the Double Elite period,- Next Week, ABZ,LHR,BOS,DFW,LBB and one outside it, my Christmas trip.

One of the problems this year, my wife and I have found, (she lives in LBB, me in Scotland) is that it's costing me less to fly ABZ(Aberdeen) to LBB, than her from LBB to ABZ. So that's a slight problem for you. You could do two TALT flights, DUB or FRA, will avoid the expensive UK taxes. Sadly not much I can do about that, except defect to KLM, which I don't want to do. (Not that I have anything agains Memphis)

Sorry to ramble on, maybe, I'll bump into you in Lubbock Airport!!!!

Cheers Larry.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
Originally Posted by AAbuzzard
not counting ground time it takes about 72hrs to fly that many miles. can you do it on a week-end? NO
Old Nov 5, 2009, 4:34 pm

Programs: EXP AA.
Originally Posted by giggy
not counting ground time it takes about 72hrs to fly that many miles. can you do it on a week-end? NO
I'm not sure of your maths there Giggy,

She has 62,000 in the bag, so that leaves 38,000 to get, which if done before DEQM runs out on the 15th Dec, leaves 19,000 to actually fly. Given say an average speed of 450mph, this will take, not including ground time,42 hours, though your conclusion is nigh on right, probably difficult to do in a weekend, but not totally impossible.

Cheers Larry.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
Originally Posted by larrywilmot747
I'm not sure of your maths there Giggy,

She has 62,000 in the bag, so that leaves 38,000 to get, which if done before DEQM runs out on the 15th Dec, leaves 19,000 to actually fly. Given say an average speed of 450mph, this will take, not including ground time,42 hours, though your conclusion is nigh on right, probably difficult to do in a weekend, but not totally impossible.

Cheers Larry.
my bad I thought she had to fly 38k, anyway I doubt she will do it without hitting fare rules that make it too expensive. If she could fly any day any time, no sweat
Old Nov 5, 2009, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA, HH
Originally Posted by giggy
my bad I thought she had to fly 38k, anyway I doubt she will do it without hitting fare rules that make it too expensive. If she could fly any day any time, no sweat
I just did something very similar this weekend, dept on Firday at noon and returned at 3pm Monday, dfw-nrt-sin-nrt-dfw.I was on the ground in sin for 29 hours. I booked this in early Oct for $912. I earned, 25708 on AA(double) and 6648 on JL code share. That is 32356, you could maybe find a route that gives you a few more miles and then take a day trip on another weekend.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 5:18 pm
arc

Originally Posted by larrywilmot747
Sorry to ramble on, maybe, I'll bump into you in Lubbock Airport!!!!
A friend of mine came to visit on a segment/mileage run from AUS to LBB last weekend, and I jokingly posted in response to him over on the AA forum that it would likely be the only time on this forum that "mileage run" and "LBB" appear in the same sentence. I see now that I'll have to eat those words.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arc
A friend of mine came to visit on a segment/mileage run from AUS to LBB last weekend, and I jokingly posted in response to him over on the AA forum that it would likely be the only time on this forum that "mileage run" and "LBB" appear in the same sentence. I see now that I'll have to eat those words.
Actually,earlier this year I routed myself on a short dog-leg run from DFW to AUS and back before reconnecting with a flight to my original destination--a variant of the MR. This routing was at times actually cheaper than the more direct route, in other cases a few bucks more. So, LBB and AUS can appear in the same post as the words "mileage run"!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.