Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Staying Healthy During Mileage Runs: How Do You Do It?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold

With cold and flu season upon us, how do you stay healthy when on long-haul flights? For business travel, I take the usual precautions-Purell, occasionally Zicam, wash the hands frequently, etc. I am doing a couple of long hauls in Nov/Dec-how do you all stay so healthy (and knowledgeable)?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:43 am

Programs: DL FO
I use sanitizing wet naps. Wipe the arm rests and the tray and the window if I plan to lay my head there and sleep.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by seacruiser
I use sanitizing wet naps. Wipe the arm rests and the tray and the window if I plan to lay my head there and sleep.
I use those wipes also. I have seen people wearing masks lately (I'm not that much of a germophobe) but with all the hoopla about swine flu, I can see where some people would be paranoid.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Skymiles
When I travel I always pack a bunch of those Emergen-C or SuperC packs. They're loaded with vitamins and minerals but most importantly electrolytes to keep dehydration down.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:20 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I worried about health issues when I started a job that required about 3 hour US flights every other week. Did it for 7 years and was rarely sick. I think maybe when one is exposed to nearly every germ population in a country, one develops all sorts of immunities. So - my prescription is to just keep flying!

On the other hand, I tend to do European trips a couple times a year. Usually manage to bring back some cold thing from those.

Though sometimes on the European ones, it seems like the start of a cold but then just clears up when I get home. I almost think it might be just an allergic reaction to air pollution?

For Asian trips, I'm 3 for 3 though, in terms of some sort of stomach/GI upset. Maybe I ought to take my own prescription and get there more often?

Romelle
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:21 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I also stay away from tank water, which means no airplane brewed coffee or tea (people usually forget that part). I stay well hydrated with water, either bottled served by an FA or I'll bring empty liter bottles and fill them airside.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:40 pm

I went to China and caught every imaginable flu already. In the words of the emergency room doctor who helped me when it got really bad, "We have a lot of flus you've never heard of here in China."
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Nothing really. Simply stay hydrated.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I have several issues I find I have to deal with.

1. Nose bleeds during long flights. During MR's these can be pervasive. I have simply taken some vaseline and coated the inside of my nostrils which keeps them from bleeding.

2. Swollen ankles and feet. In coach this comes up for me. I have to elevate my feet in some fashion during the flight and try and exercise every couple hours at least. I wear compression socks this certainly helps.

3. Stay on one time zone and don't be afraid to pass up on a meal service if you are tired. When your body clock is screwed up you will not eat/drink regularly, at least I don't. Ambien works for me and I try and stick to my home time zone when flying during MR.

I have to resist the temptation to keep booking flight after flight and give myself time to recover in a lounge for a couple hours at least before boarding another long haul. Thus proper scheduling (not overnight) is key for me as well.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 1:11 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Drink water, eat, a multivitamin each day, and walk as much as possible before/in between flights, as much as time allows. This formula works every time.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriot LTP, Hyatt Globalist
I tend to use Airborne for a couple days before and after a flight. And always an aspirin daily. DVT? Thanks, no.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 2:41 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
I stay drunk the entire mileage run.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 2:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I never really thought about it. I guess I'm very unhealthy as I tend to eat fast food, drink absurd amounts of Diet Coke, snack often etc.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by schley
I have several issues I find I have to deal with.

1. Nose bleeds during long flights. During MR's these can be pervasive. I have simply taken some vaseline and coated the inside of my nostrils which keeps them from bleeding.
Dude, that used to happen to me a lot. I used to just carry a saline nasal spray with me. Just keep your membranes moist and it's not a problem. Somewhere along the line. My nose stopped being prone to bleeding.

If you are prone to frequent nose bleeds, you can have a doctor cauterize it as a more permanent solution.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 3:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by planeluvr
I stay drunk the entire mileage run.
^ +1... that and lounge snacks... oh well, need to run a few more miles on the treadmill...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.