FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/)
-   -   CO/AA/UA SFO-GIG (Rio de Janeiro) $486+ $589-592 ai (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals/945058-co-aa-ua-sfo-gig-rio-de-janeiro-486-589-592-ai.html)

mitchell Apr 19, 2009 12:53 pm

CO/AA/UA SFO-GIG (Rio de Janeiro) $486+ $589-592 ai

7 day advance
Good until 12/11/09
3 day minimum stay

deviantdesi Apr 19, 2009 1:00 pm

even less from EWR on CO

EWR-GIG: $506... all in.
Even over Thanksgiving...

1 Adults (age 18 to 64) $414.00
Additional Taxes/Fees $92.70
Total Price $506.70

Flight Details:
Depart:
10:00 p.m.
Wed., Nov. 25, 2009
New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) Arrive:
10:45 a.m. +1 Day
Thu., Nov. 26, 2009
Sao Paulo, Brazil (GRU) Flight Time:
9 hr 45 mn OnePass Miles/
Elite Qualification*:
4,758 /100% Flight: CO31
Aircraft: Boeing 767-200
Fare Class: Economy (N)
Meal: Dinner

Change Planes. Connect time in Sao Paulo, Brazil (GRU) is 1 hour 15 minutes .
Depart:
12:00 p.m.
Thu., Nov. 26, 2009
Sao Paulo, Brazil (GRU) Arrive:
1:00 p.m.
Thu., Nov. 26, 2009
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (GIG) Flight Time:
1 hr

Travel Time:
12 hr 0 mn OnePass Miles/
Elite Qualification*:
218 /100%
Total Miles:
4,976 Flight: CO93
Aircraft: Boeing 767-400ER

Depart:
8:40 p.m.
Sun., Nov. 29, 2009
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (GIG) Arrive:
10:00 p.m.
Sun., Nov. 29, 2009
Sao Paulo, Brazil (GRU) Flight Time:
1 hr 20 mn OnePass Miles/
Elite Qualification*:
218 /100% Flight: CO92
Aircraft: Boeing 767-400ER

Change Planes. Connect time in Sao Paulo, Brazil (GRU) is 1 hour .
Depart:
11:00 p.m.
Sun., Nov. 29, 2009
Sao Paulo, Brazil (GRU) Arrive:
6:00 a.m. +1 Day
Mon., Nov. 30, 2009
New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) Flight Time:
10 hr 0 mn

Travel Time:
12 hr 20 mn OnePass Miles/
Elite Qualification*:
4,758 /100%
Total Miles:
4,976 Flight: CO30
Aircraft: Boeing 767-200
Meal: Dinner
No Special Meal Offered.

ldpeters Apr 19, 2009 1:05 pm

Also good on AA ex-JFK for $506 a/i, incl. the 777 flight through Sao Paulo.

I'm seeing tons of availability for Labor Day weekend -- 9 PM JFK departure on Fri; 6:05 AM JFK arrival on Tuesday...

Books into Q so no eVIPs.

MrHalliday Apr 19, 2009 1:14 pm

See it on united.com OK, but L-class,
so still waiting for a way to use those SWU's...@:-)

SFO-GIG-SFO-YVR and save another $40-50.

coplatua1k Apr 19, 2009 6:43 pm

$150USD Visa fee.:(

mitchell Apr 19, 2009 7:13 pm

Brazilian visa fees suck. Apparently the US charges Brazilians $400-600 for Visas, so they retaliate and treat US people badly at the Brazilian embassies in the US. Get your Brazilian visas waaay in advance.

SFO $547.10 ai with fuel drop. Thanks Mr. Halliday.

Can't seem to get fuel drop to work on United NYC-GIG $520.70, but I'm new to that trick. Perhaps someone else can get it to work.

ToddDeck Apr 21, 2009 4:26 am

EWR-GIG/GRU is available for LOTS of dates pricing out at $506ai. It can also be routed thru IAH to add an additional 1500 or so miles each way for an additional $6 in taxes.

Given its an overnight both ways, if you are hardy this could be done departing on a Friday afternoon and getting back to EWR by Sunday am with no hotel and about 9 hours hanging out in the GIG airport listening to the creepy voice autobot they have doing the announcements there

Just booked EWR-GRU for Early November to visit friends. Wish I could get the time off work to go during this double EQM promo.

flyr16 Apr 21, 2009 6:16 am

I am wondering is some "holiday" dates are blacked out, or just filled at this fare. I tried checking around Thanksgiving and all tkts priced out at $700+. :mad:

We just returned from Brazil yesterday, and want to head back. As noted, the flts to Rio are over night and, if you can catch some sleep on board, the trip isn't bad. We went with TAM, which we generally rate higher than AA on this route, but both are fine.

joker545 Apr 21, 2009 9:30 am

Anyone seeing this out of WAS?

LNKed Apr 21, 2009 9:57 am

Wow nice fare! ^ Problem is only adding the visa fee....

GimmeLegRoom Apr 21, 2009 11:39 am

Originally Posted by flyr16 (Post 11617554)
I am wondering is some "holiday" dates are blacked out, or just filled at this fare. I tried checking around Thanksgiving and all tkts priced out at $700+. :mad:

Not sure where you are flying from? While it's always debatable whether GIG and GRU are MR material with the visa fees and minimum stays, these are outstanding fares! The last time I paid less than $700 from PDX was right after 9/11. I'm heading there in a few weeks for $767 AI on UA L fare, fuel drop wouldn't work. I remain very pleased! I also have a five year BR visa, which is usually the one given, so I've gotten my money's worth over the last four years.

And regarding upgradeable fares on UA - good luck if you ever see them come down below $1300 (again, speaking for PDX...).

rolov Apr 21, 2009 3:34 pm

These are great fares for a mini vacation ^

N1120A Apr 21, 2009 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by mitchell (Post 11609393)
Brazilian visa fees suck. Apparently the US charges Brazilians $400-600 for Visas, so they retaliate and treat US people badly at the Brazilian embassies in the US. Get your Brazilian visas waaay in advance.

Write your Congressional Rep. US Customs and Immigration policy as pertains to tourists (and just about everything else) has been idiotic for the last 8 years or so.

flyr16 Apr 21, 2009 7:52 pm

We want to fly out of NYC. And these are indeed great fares. However, over the past few months there have been some excellent offers for fares to GIG, GRU, EZE and LIM out there. Nothing this low, though.

chanp Apr 21, 2009 9:02 pm

$571 out of sfo is pretty good. thanks op

jesus4jets Apr 21, 2009 9:59 pm

US visa policy doesn't always mean higher costs. The us charges $131 for an equivalent visa for brazilians. The rest of the fees (inter-company transfers, entertainer, etc) are reciprocity fees imposed by the US in retaliation against brazil. The visa given to foreigners for the US can be up to 10 years (although 5 for brazilians because of reciprocity) and is multiple entry. It can even be used in a different passport should one passport expire (reciprocity). This is one of the cheapest multiple entry visas on a per-year, per-entry basis. (Specific restrictions and stay limitations imposed by CBP at the border complicate this comparison)

Now what can cost more is that the US requires in general that people ages 14-80 be present for an original visa application (often not needed for renewal, depends on country). If you live a long way away it can cost hundreds or thousands more to get a first visa including travel costs and missing days of work.

The visa fees are unlikely to go lower. The consular visa units are financed by these fees - not the brick and mortar facility but the people and processes. What is interesting is to see what would happen if the US charged different countries different prices based on the actual cost of service - it would be $20-30 per application from Taiwan and upwards of $800 in a country like Nigeria, where 80% of immigrant applications are referred to a heavily staffed fraud prevention unit where consular staff travels in armed convoys to investigate applicants and receives significant hazard pay. But the political implications of having drastically higher visa fees for the poorest countries is a no-go.

Roughly 8 million applications non-immigrant visas were received in 2008 with 6.2 million of these accepted (excluding diplomatic and border cards for mexican citizens) even cutting fees by half would cost ~$450 million. Additionally, a reduction in fees would logically cause an increase in applications from high-cost countries (i.e. Nigeria) where cost of processing is already several times the application fee.

I honestly don't make any value judgements in the above - just laying out how complicated it is.

Originally Posted by N1120A (Post 11621559)
Write your Congressional Rep. US Customs and Immigration policy as pertains to tourists (and just about everything else) has been idiotic for the last 8 years or so.

UshuaiaHammerfest Apr 21, 2009 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by mitchell (Post 11609393)

Brazilian visa fees suck because US visa fees suck for Brazilians. The Brazilian system for all countries is 100% reciprocity, nothing more. (This is why UK citizens don't need a visa to enter Brazil.)

And if by treating US citizens badly you mean anything other than charging a lot of money (e.g., if you meant they are rude), that simply isn't true, at least no more so than your average consular official from any other country. Lines are long, just like the case for every other country's consulate.

Brazil offers expedited visa applications -- 3 days, max -- just like consulates of most countries do. You can send a courier if you live near a consulate or handle it by mail. It's an incredibly easy process.

Mrp Alert Apr 22, 2009 12:16 am

Wirelessly posted (FlyerTalk.com/wap is fun : BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.114 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Isn't us supposed to start flying this route this fall also? Brazil may stay cheap for a while.

MatthewLAX Apr 22, 2009 2:13 am

I just put a UA LAX-IAD-GIG r/t on hold for $563.

For some reason, ITA was showing that JFK routings (p.s.!!) were valid and did not raise the price, but I was unable to include them when booking on .bomb.

All L-class inventory between JFK=LAX/SFO seems to be zeroed out.

lovtofly3 Apr 22, 2009 11:02 am

I grabbed one a few days ago with a little sidetrip for a few $$ less.

Great fare for UA to GIG too bad in L but iad-gig is now a 777.