Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

NWA : DTW-SIN-DTW 58,000 EQM @ 3.2 cpm ($1850-2200)

Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond since inception

Just to punish myself I booked a DTW-SIN turn in M-class for about .032 per EQM - will get triple miles and used certs for business class entire way - nearly 60,000 EQMS - now I dont have to worry about Platinum for this year; I cut back my company's travel. I physically confirmed with Northwest my registration with the triple promotion (as it does not show in your registered promotions) prior to purchase and the elite desk emailed me confirmation that I would recieve the EQM's that I calculated. We may not like the terms of the triple promotion but there are a few ok fares out there still. Almost any day mid-April to mid-May

OK - almost 100 posts later here is a summary thanks to Stripe.

Originally Posted by Stripe
I was just thinking the same thing. Here’s what I came up with. It's quite a list. Only a few had specific dates so I didn't try to collect that info. I also didn't note who is staying at the Conrad. I think quite a few are.

Dhh1: DTW-NRT-SIN-NRT-DTW for $1,865 (Upgraded. Same night turn.)

asquaredflyer: DTW-MSP-NRT-SIN-NRT-MSP-DTW for $2,025 (Upgraded)

SLC2002: SLC?-MSP-NRT-SIN-NRT-PDX-SLC? for $2,200

fargo: FAR-MSP-HNL-NRT-SIN-NRT-HNL-MSP-FAR for $1,705.90 (Not upgraded)

Policypeddler: SDF-ATL-NRT-SIN-NRT-ATL-SDF for $1,281 (Mix of Q and B fares)

Kugelfischer: SAT-ATL-NRT-SIN-NRT-ATL-SAT for $1,167 (Mix of Q and B fares)

Tinnub: MCO-???-NRT-SIN-NRT-???-MCO for $2,208 (Upgraded)

DESMOINESguy: DSM-MSP-HNL-NRT-SIN-NRT-HNL-PDX-MSP-DSM for $1,793 (Upgraded)

Stripe: AUS-DTW-NRT-SIN-NRT-DTW-AUS for $1,764.08 (Upgraded)

StuartMI: DTW-MSP-NRT-SIN-NRT-MSP-DTW for $2,080 (Upgraded. Same night turn.)

TomT: PBI-ATL-NRT-BKK-NRT-HNL-LAX-ATL-PBI for $2,098.94 (Not upgraded)

optimist1125: CLE-DTW-NRT-SIN-NRT-DTW-CLE for $1,883.27 (Upgraded)

Upperdeck744: LAX-HNL-NRT-SIN-NRT-DTW-CMH for $???? (Same night turn)

cgchu: SEA-HNL-NRT-SIN-NRT-HNL-SEA for $???? (Same night turn)

bschaff1: AUS-MEM-MSP-HNL-NRT-SIN-NRT-DTW-MKE for $1,961

Cellisttoo: RST-MSP-HNL-NRT-SIN-NRT-MSP-RST $1737.48 (All upgraded) Hilton and Crowne.

Last edited by dhh1; Apr 16, 2009 at 2:28 pm Reason: consolidate post
Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:33 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Routing the return through HNL adds about another 2k miles (so 6k with triple promo) and only bumps the fare by $10.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:33 pm

Programs: Skyteam
How much did it cost?
Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:44 pm

Programs: DLPlat
Here's the price

Just booked DTW-SIN via MSP in M with SWU upgrades. Total EQM = 58776. Cost ~$2025.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 6:41 am
Original Poster

That's the fare - they range from about $1850-$2200 depending on the exact flights - I chose DTW-NRT-SIN --> SIN-NRT-DTW to keep my flights to a minimum. Meeting a friend of mine from MSP in NRT who is doing the same thing and flying the NRT-SIN legs together to break up the monotony.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Any seat suggestions for 747-400 DTW-NRT. row 73 a,b NA. 10 a,b NA

Choices are 72k (bulkhead window less legroom according to seat guru), any seat exit row 77, 9J-K

Been years since I have been in a 747 - advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Originally Posted by dhh1

Choices are 72k (bulkhead window less legroom according to seat guru), any seat exit row 77, 9J-K

Been years since I have been in a 747 - advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Do a search in the Northwest forum and you'll find loads of advice already posted. Also: http://www.seatguru.com. Have a good trip.

Last edited by FlytheTail; Mar 28, 2009 at 9:08 am Reason: Added link
Old Mar 27, 2009, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Alitalia Confiscated iPod Club
Originally Posted by dhh1
Yes, don't do it. Those 747s are so old and beat up it's not even funny.

If you can cancel your ticket, do so, and route through SEA or PDX on the A330s.

's the best way to get to Asia on NW. Otherwise, trying routing on DL through ATL.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
We just booked a similar trip to SIN, but as hub captives found the MSP fares quite high (similar to the higher ones quoted above of $2000+). If you book out of RST or STC, fares are lower- in the $1600-$1700 range. A short drive saves major $$$. You can add a stopover in HNL (costs a little more) on the way over (on a 330 none the less) and NRT on the way back. Can also route through HNL on the return for more miles. Note that due to flight times, a STC origin means that you miss the connect to HNL on the 330. Per the fare rules NRT stopover must be on the return. You need to finish your east bound pacific cross before May 21st, when the fares go up- but can return later than that.

The trip required 2 SWUs per ticket even with the two stopovers because the M fare allows this. We had a long wait on hold while service rep were spoke to confirmed this with several desks.

Upgrade availability is quite good for most days and flights.

Last edited by Cellisttoo; Apr 16, 2009 at 2:01 pm
Old Mar 27, 2009, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rdg_dc

If you can cancel your ticket, do so, and route through SEA or PDX on the A330s.

's the best way to get to Asia on NW. Otherwise, trying routing on DL through ATL.
Yes they are. [Rant on]On my DTW-SIN trip a couple of days ago, that I upgraded using a PU465 was a disaster. At least one person, whom I had met in the world club, was upgraded (NO status). It could be an op-up. I had used the PU465 becuase I had had no luck with phantom on K fares to SIN. I am not specifically upset about him or anyone else getting the upgrade. It was showing J8C8 a couple of hours before the flight. But once we were up in the air, on NW 25, I discovered my seat was inoperational. The lower part of the seat would not stay up. It would rise through a few degress and then come crashing down. But guess what? There were no other business class seats vacant, so I couldn't switch. C8J8 turned into zero seats within a couple of hours, either through upgrades or people switching from NW11 to NW25. They tried to make do with putting a crate to prope the legrest (not the footrest) up with a promise that if I wanted to get up, all I had to do was ring the call button. I tried not to use the call button. But the first time I used it, it was well past the midflight mark. It took 5 attempts of pushing the call button ( and off) before someone came to free me so that I go to the rest rooom. Operating a 12 plus hour flight in business class with making sure that all the s eats are functional is incompetence. [/Rant off] Boeing 747 is a nice plane, but their age is showing.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

I am sticking sticking with the old dog - I fear an attempt to change would somehow screw up my fare class or my upgrades - The guy that helped me book on the phone was so nice and helpful I don't think that I could reproduce that again and then would lose my triple miles - that would really smart.

Just looked at switching - have 747's out of MSP too for the msp-nrt leg. Can get out to sfo from dtw but then add two extra flights. The old dog 747's from DTW will have to do. DTW-NRT-SIN is a crispy clean itinerary.

Still need some seat advice.

Last edited by dhh1; Mar 27, 2009 at 2:06 pm
Old Mar 27, 2009, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Originally Posted by rdg_dc

If you're flying in WBC, the seats are the same and likely of the same age. Without doubt the A330s are vastly superior in Y than the B747s, but I find the B747s are at least as good in WBC. I especially like sitting in the upper deck.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 5:21 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Watch out for the MSP-NRT-SIN, since it's a 'through' or a 'direct' flight. Not a huge deal, but you get mileage for the MSP-SIN routing, even though you stop in NRT.

Not a huge difference (only 200 EQM difference), but still - you need to be aware!
Old Mar 27, 2009, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

any opinion on seat 72K - bulkhead window? Supposedly less legroom ...row 73 A and B already taken
Old Mar 28, 2009, 7:00 am

If I stopover in HNL on the way back can I upgrade from HNL back to the mainland with miles? Or, do you have to upgrade the entire trip back from SIN? (Which, of course, can't be done with an M fare.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.