FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/)
-   -   Ethiopian: Buy one get one free (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals/918291-ethiopian-buy-one-get-one-free.html)

MastaHanky Feb 4, 2009 5:42 pm

Ethiopian: Buy one get one free

Ethiopian Airlines is advertising Buy-One-Get-One-Free (companion) travel between Feb 01 and Mar 31. Unfortunately their website is pretty useless at giving details on this offer, giving you an email address or a phone number to call for more info.

This may not be great for a mileage run on an individual basis, but could turn out nice if bringing a companion along, assuming the second ticket is eligible for mileage credit. Or if it's not, find somebody who doesn't care about mileage and split the cost of the ticket.

I believe miles on Ethiopian can be credited to LH?

Anybody have any other details on this? Seems like a lot of trouble to get it to work, but it has some good possibilities if you go through the effort.

bigbrownboy Feb 4, 2009 8:50 pm

If this companion ticket works out the same as the companion tickets last year, I'd be all over it: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...axes-fees.html. Almost exactly a year since that post.

Work projects got in the way of me buying that ticket last year--my saddest missed bargain to date.

MatthewLAX Feb 4, 2009 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by bigbrownboy (Post 11204697)
If this companion ticket works out the same as the companion tickets last year, I'd be all over it: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...axes-fees.html. Almost exactly a year since that post.

Work projects got in the way of me buying that ticket last year--my saddest missed bargain to date.

My thoughts exactly.

jschw934 Feb 4, 2009 10:49 pm

+1 on the feelings of regret for missing out on that fare.

On a slight tangent, if anyone needs to go to ADD and flies Star Alliance, you can fly Turkish Airlines on either JFK-ADD or ORD-ADD roundtrip for $890. It books into class G, which I believe earns 100 percent EQM and RDM for UA.

I'm not sure how that compares to the companion flights, but it works out to under 6 cpm.

hauteboy Feb 6, 2009 4:00 pm

I flew on the ET $0 companion fare last year.. I'd be all over this again if it worked! Especially since their fuel surcharge is now only $80 instead of $240.. :cool: So far haven't been able to see it.

I credited the ETflights to LH, I earned 100% miles (but no status miles). earned nearly 16k credited miles for $274.

apoivre Feb 7, 2009 6:13 am

Any clues as to where this might be valid from? Nada on the UK version of their website. :confused:

hauteboy Feb 7, 2009 9:11 pm

From the US only... though not sure if it's only from IAD or other cities as well (ET publishes fares from most US cities).

AndrewM Feb 7, 2009 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by jschw934 (Post 11205126)
+1 on the feelings of regret for missing out on that fare.

On a slight tangent, if anyone needs to go to ADD and flies Star Alliance, you can fly Turkish Airlines on either JFK-ADD or ORD-ADD roundtrip for $890. It books into class G, which I believe earns 100 percent EQM and RDM for UA.

I'm not sure how that compares to the companion flights, but it works out to under 6 cpm.

The problem with Turkish is the connection time. More than 10 hours of layover in IST. And also arrive in ADD after 3:00 in the morning:td:

civicmon Feb 9, 2009 7:21 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D062; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

Originally Posted by hauteboy
From the US only... though not sure if it's only from IAD or other cities as well (ET publishes fares from most US cities).

I would assume that the real buy one/get one starts at iad, but one can fork over the cash from their origin and then onto ADD.

I love that airport code :)

jerry crump Feb 9, 2009 8:56 am

a ShebaMiles RUN

The Ethiopian online Frequent Flier program's name “ShebaMiles” is inspired by the legend of Makeda, the Queen of Sheba, who ruled Ethiopia around the time of the 10th century B.C.and in particular by her legendary trek across desert and sea to visit King Solomon in Jerusalem.

Accompanied by her attendants and bearing rich gifts, she went to learn wisdom from the great king. As legend recalls, after a night of feasting and merriment Makeda succumbed to the charms of the king. Upon her return to Ethiopia she gave birth to his son, Menelik the first, the founder of the Ethiopian Solomonic Dynasty.

In contrast to the long journey undertaken by the queen of Sheba, your travel with Ethiopian will be one of comfort and style. The more comfort you endure, the greater the rewards will be.

skywalkerLAX Feb 9, 2009 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by hauteboy (Post 11215023)
I flew on the ET $0 companion fare last year.. I'd be all over this again if it worked! Especially since their fuel surcharge is now only $80 instead of $240.. :cool: So far haven't been able to see it.

I credited the ETflights to LH, I earned 100% miles (but no status miles). earned nearly 16k credited miles for $274.

I get 20K LH miles for a magazine subscription... 2x 80 EUR :)

No way I sit in an Ethiopian plane this life !

Mile High Club Feb 13, 2009 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX (Post 11229081)

Agree!

delter Feb 14, 2009 10:23 am

South Park Colorado

This thread title reminds me of an old South Park episode with Sally Struthers in.

Tango Feb 15, 2009 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX (Post 11229081)
I get 20K LH miles for a magazine subscription... 2x 80 EUR :)

When was the last time you flew on Ethiopian? They are one of the best airlines in Africa and offer much better service then many western airlines.

dcutcher Feb 15, 2009 5:51 pm

Well...plus and minus

Originally Posted by Tango (Post 11263125)
When was the last time you flew on Ethiopian? They are one of the best airlines in Africa and offer much better service then many western airlines.

AFIK Ethiopian has never had a hull or life loss, and rumor hath it some of the Asian start-ups even are/were hiring Ethiopian pilots away.
OTOH R accorded low marks for the interior cleanliness of E's 767s.
Still, for his just-completed year and a half in ADD--and a certain amount of flying--he has very high praise for all but one of the Ethiopian nationals with whom he worked and met. And that one person....