Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

MR Not for the Faint-Hearted, but for the Crazy: SFO-PBI UA/US $254/ai; 09/05-09/06

MR Not for the Faint-Hearted, but for the Crazy: SFO-PBI UA/US $254/ai; 09/05-09/06

Old Aug 18, 2008, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Talking MR Not for the Faint-Hearted, but for the Crazy: SFO-PBI UA/US $254/ai; 09/05-09/06

Okay, bear with me here, and my insatiable, amphetamine addict like desire to travel and to add miles. Disclaimer: there is plenty of availability with this fare; look around for the best options. I booked this crazy one, because it nets 7,455 EQM, and it just sounds so damn fun . . . .

-Book on Travelocity. Again, plenty of these lower priced options, but, I just worked out:

SFO-LAX-BOS-PHL-PBI-DCA [Switch airports!] IAD-SFO . . . . yeahhhhhh, some US, yeahhhhhhhh, there's an airport transfer, yeahhhhhhh, it'd be better with 500 mile minimums, but, it still pulls quite a few miles in at a good price. The LAX-BOS is overnight on a 752, so, good chance of upgrading, perhaps?

I think there's a ton of availability for following weekends . . . I didn't check for sure, though.

And, for those who do not want to gallivant around DC for an airport transfer, (shame on you ), there are more conventional SFO-PHL-PBI-CLT-SFO routings. Still some US metals, but, sometimes, we have to suffer for our art.

Hope it helps someone!

Last edited by PanHam; Aug 18, 2008 at 3:56 pm Reason: Removed lame joke.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Well I would be in ex LAX just in case...

The aiport change will be expensive though except we can pack a cab full of FTers.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Well I would be in ex LAX just in case...

The aiport change will be expensive though except we can pack a cab full of FTers.

I was planning on slumming it on the metro and that damn bus service they have . . . more of a chance to miss a connection
Old Aug 18, 2008, 5:22 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Can you put the lame joke back in please? I didn't see it.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by PanHam
I was planning on slumming it on the metro and that damn bus service they have . . . more of a chance to miss a connection
Take the 5a metrobus from Rossyln instead of the confiscatory Washington Flyer bus from East Falls Church. Coming from DCA it will take about the same amount of time and be much cheaper.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Ahh, I have been to Rosslyn - and the parking lot where Watergate secrets were exchanged.

Thanks for the advice!
Old Aug 18, 2008, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 *
If you have a few hours b/w IAD - DCA, we can setup a Rosslyn-Do with other FTers and I'll give you a lift to DCA.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 6:52 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
PanHam: Better miles than my JAX run. Your crazy enthusiasm almost makes me want to run along with you but have another trip at same time so nocando. Have fun.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Well yeah... just not sure if I really find that such an advantage.

Is UA responsible for rebooking after you misconnect due to airport change ?

Sounds fun though... I would prefer to book on .bomb to redeem some vouchers that are left.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Sounds fun though... I would prefer to book on .bomb to redeem some vouchers that are left.

Remember.... If you are going to use the original routing (with some US metal), then you can't use the vouchers.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MayorMcKnife
If you have a few hours b/w IAD - DCA, we can setup a Rosslyn-Do with other FTers and I'll give you a lift to DCA.
Ooh, that sounds awesome . . . hopefully, some other people will come aboard . . . methinks it's about a four-hour interim between the DCA and IAD flights.

Well yeah... just not sure if I really find that such an advantage.

Is UA responsible for rebooking after you misconnect due to airport change ?
Hmm, not sure . . . . but, I imagine they would be, but I may be optimistic. It's the last flight out of IAD to SFO, and an overnight in beautiful Chantilly, VA and some travel credits might not be a bad way to end the madness, if one could swing it.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by humanoid94
Take the 5a metrobus from Rossyln instead of the confiscatory Washington Flyer bus from East Falls Church. Coming from DCA it will take about the same amount of time and be much cheaper.
I've used the 5A bus numerous times to/from IAD.

Warning 1: it runs only about once every 40-45 minutes on weekdays, and once per HOUR on weekends. See bus schedule here:

http://www.wmata.com/timetables/dc/5a.pdf

Warning 2: partly as a result of 1 (infrequent service), it sometimes runs WAY off schedule (I've encountered it running nearly a whole HOUR late on one occasion, over half an hour late on another, etc.). This could be disastrous to your connections.

You can't beat the price (approx. $3 one way).

Good luck!
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:31 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
I live 10 mts south of PBI. Let me know if you out of towners want to get lunch when you're here.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
...Hmm, not sure . . . . but, I imagine they would be, but I may be optimistic. It's the last flight out of IAD to SFO, and an overnight in beautiful Chantilly, VA and some travel credits might not be a bad way to end the madness, if one could swing it.
I don't know why you "imagine" that UA would provide generous compensation in such a case? If it is indeed FOUR hours between the DCA and IAD segments, and yet you somehow still manage to miss the connection (even if it's the fault of bad traffic, slow public transit, or other circumstances beyond your control), I seriously doubt that UA is going to lay all kinds of generous goodies on you (free hotel, travel vouchers, etc.).

But hey, go ahead and miss the connection, and report back to us on how generous UA is! (More likely, I envision a whiny thread in the UA forum.... )
Old Aug 19, 2008, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
I don't know why you "imagine" that UA would provide generous compensation in such a case? If it is indeed FOUR hours between the DCA and IAD segments, and yet you somehow still manage to miss the connection (even if it's the fault of bad traffic, slow public transit, or other circumstances beyond your control), I seriously doubt that UA is going to lay all kinds of generous goodies on you (free hotel, travel vouchers, etc.).

But hey, go ahead and miss the connection, and report back to us on how generous UA is! (More likely, I envision a whiny thread in the UA forum.... )

Gee, if that would somehow make you feel triumphant and self-congratulatory, I'll definitely post something.

I love the people here who act as if no one else has any travel experience. Read my post with critical eye, and note the sarcasm. Sheeeesh.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.