AA DUB 2/10: BOS-$379, LAX-$439 all-in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2007, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...

LAX-DUB $358 plus/$439 all-in: 10838 status miles
BOS-DUB $298 plus/$379 all-in: 9092 status miles

Both book into "W" discount economy. No minimum stay, 12 month maximum, presently offered thru 2/28 but presumably difficult for later weekends due to February school vacation traffic.

In both cases plenty of coach seats for 2/10. Biz cabin looks close to full but who knows for those using e-VIP's. Return 2/11 wide-open too. To me, these are the best quicky mileage runs as there are no other meal/hotel costs: you're not there long enough.

The 10% discount code knocks a few dollars off if you haven't found a better use for it, PLT or EXP doubles the miles, and don't forget the 250 mile web booking bonus!

For upper tier elites these are both .02 cents per mile which isn't all THAT unusual. That you can buy them today and fly tommorow - and go to work on Monday - is.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:03 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Remember, there is an AA-specific ban on liquids on flights from SNN (where AA92 stops on the way back to ORD from DUB).

No other airline maintains this ridiculous ban and form of passenger harassment to the US. None.

Link to AA's AAsinine Liquids Policy for Ireland
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:03 pm

Programs: HH Silver IHG Platinum
If I recall, W is a 1.0 point type fare basis for points on AA too.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by AvalancheZ71
If I recall, W is a 1.0 point type fare basis for points on AA too.
Yep. Pretty ideal Plat challenge run.

Discussed quite extensively in a previous thread:

http://web2.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446556
Old Feb 10, 2007, 2:46 am

Maybe ideal from BOS ... but ex-LAX it's a nightmare!

The only way to get a one-stop at that fare on the way out (via ORD) is 16 hours total ... with choices of either 18+ hours coming back (via SNN + ORD) or 22 hours. Yikes!

This run is open next (holiday) weekend 2/18-2/19 (and I have the previous Friday off) ... I was tempted but, geez, spend half my 4-day weekend on planes? I wouldn't mind a full day (spread out over outbound/inbound), but 2 full days ... that's madness.

Edit: OK, waitjustacottonpickin'minute here ... so you guys are saying that this W fare is effectively the same as a Y fare for Q-points? So if I called AA tomorrow and said "Hey I want to start my Platinum Challenge on Feb. 16th", this single r/t (if I did it next weekend) would qualify me for "winning" the PLT Challenge?!? @:-)

(And where is this "10% discount code" of which you speak, OP?)

Last edited by Riot_Nrrrd; Feb 10, 2007 at 2:57 am
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:11 am

... on another note, if you aren't Gold or Plat on AA (or any other airline) and can't use any airlines' lounges, how the heck do you get in a shower at the other end, in either DUB or SNN

Last edited by Riot_Nrrrd; Feb 10, 2007 at 3:26 am
Old Feb 10, 2007, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Riot_Nrrrd
Edit: OK, waitjustacottonpickin'minute here ... so you guys are saying that this W fare is effectively the same as a Y fare for Q-points? So if I called AA tomorrow and said "Hey I want to start my Platinum Challenge on Feb. 16th", this single r/t (if I did it next weekend) would qualify me for "winning" the PLT Challenge?!? @:-)
No, a W fare is not effectively the same as a Y fare for Q-points.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
Originally Posted by gemac
No, a W fare is not effectively the same as a Y fare for Q-points.
"Y" fares earn 1.5 points per mile; "W" fares (unlike some other "deep" discount fare classes which earn 0.5 ppm) earn 1.0 ppm. Thus the LAX r/t would allow one to qualify for the Platinum challenge. I hadn't thought of that.

The discount code mentioned was emailed (to whom - just elites? Some elites? AAll Aadvantage members? Targeted? No doubt someone here has the answer) and while it's nice it's not crucial: 10% off the base fare which is a lot less than the final quoted price. For Boston it's about twenty bucks as the base fare is a good deal less than $298. Better use: they're good for up to six tickets used on the same itin, ie. family vacation. Downside: they expire on March 31. Others may find more renumerative uses.

I wouldn't risk the time for a shower in Dublin or Shannon, as you have about two hours on the ground and much queing in each airport. There are Aer Lingus clubs in each city to which elites still have access - if only for a few more weeks until Aer Lingus leaves One World which presumbly means the end of elite access.

OTOH, my exertions are usually fairly minimal onboard (how sweaty do you get lifting a wineglass?) and while the liquid/gel/toothpaste rules seem ridiculous, one could manage with the help of some deodorant and a small tube of toothpaste thrown away at the Dublin Club if not onboard. And of course, there's always Wet-Ones. (tm) Just remember to toss 'em in the bin pre-boarding lest you be suspected of dirty deeds.

None of this is my point but rather that these fares are available on such short notice; both are still bookable (as of 9:30 this morning EST) for today. That, to me, is amazing: a walk-up fare, conceivably seated in business class with an upgrade (2 seats showing open on the outbound #92) earning full miles and points. You could be out of the country - and possibly even back - and maybe even with miles posted - before the charge showed up on your credit card statement.

And on a holiday weekend with a Monday on which to sleep it off? I'd jump on that. You'd be well-rested and twice showered the dreaded real world reappears on Tuesday morning. Would that it were so here.

There's a reason they call it work.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bostom
"Y" fares earn 1.5 points per mile; "W" fares (unlike some other "deep" discount fare classes which earn 0.5 ppm) earn 1.0 ppm. Thus the LAX r/t would allow one to qualify for the Platinum challenge. I hadn't thought of that.
That's my sole interest in this fare - paying $446 all-in to not see Dublin seems rather silly to me otherwise. (Yes I know this is the MR forum but I'm not PLT so 11,000+ miles, while good, doesn't really change my life that much in the way that spending it on something else could. But gaining PLT on the other hand might make it worth it ... )

The discount code mentioned was emailed (to whom - just elites? Some elites? All AAdvantage members? Targeted? No doubt someone here has the answer) and while it's nice it's not crucial: 10% off the base fare which is a lot less than the final quoted price.
I'm in AAdvantage but I didn't get it. And you're right - it'd only be like $35 or so.

I wouldn't risk the time for a shower in Dublin or Shannon, as you have about two hours on the ground and much queueing in each airport. There are Aer Lingus clubs in each city to which elites still have access - if only for a few more weeks until Aer Lingus leaves One World which presumbly means the end of elite access.
As I stated, I have no Elite status in any F-F program so I'm out of luck ...

OTOH, my exertions are usually fairly minimal onboard (how sweaty do you get lifting a wineglass?) and while the liquid/gel/toothpaste rules seem ridiculous, one could manage with the help of some deodorant and a small tube of toothpaste thrown away at the Dublin Club if not onboard. And of course, there's always Wet-Ones. (tm) Just remember to toss 'em in the bin pre-boarding lest you be suspected of dirty deeds.
Not to reveal personal things in a very public forum - but skin-wise I am like an oil derrick (side benefit: hardly any wrinkles at age 48) - and if I don't get water on me once every 24 hours, I just can't deal. By about the time I'd be waiting in SNN for the return ORD flight I'd be all greasy and ... well, ick. (I guess I was hoping there was some way to use some airlines' lounge but I suppose that's out of the question - no public showers in the loos in DUB I assume )

None of this is my point but rather that these fares are available on such short notice; both are still bookable (as of 9:30 this morning EST) for today. That, to me, is amazing: a walk-up fare, conceivably seated in business class with an upgrade (2 seats showing open on the outbound #92) earning full miles and points. You could be out of the country - and possibly even back - and maybe even with miles posted - before the charge showed up on your credit card statement.

And on a holiday weekend with a Monday on which to sleep it off? I'd jump on that. You'd be well-rested and twice showered the dreaded real world reappears on Tuesday morning. Would that it were so here.
I agree in principle but boy, coming from LAX, losing 2 entire holiday weekend days sure is a lot of downtime.

Bottom line - is paying $446 just to get AA PLT status worth it? (I should note - while I've been here on FlyerTalk for awhile, nowadays I am more of an INfrequent flyer than frequent. )
Old Feb 10, 2007, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Riot_Nrrrd
Bottom line - is paying $446 just to get AA PLT status worth it? (I should note - while I've been here on FlyerTalk for awhile, nowadays I am more of an INfrequent flyer than frequent. )
No, not if you're not going to use this status and you're going to be uncomfortable for 2 days in the process.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
No, not if you're not going to use this status and you're going to be uncomfortable for 2 days in the process.
Thanks for the "tough love" Spiff, lol

I could definitely see doing it if I'd been able to get it for the whole 4-day weekend of 2/16-2/19, but the only way it comes up is the overnight-and-turn-around 2/8-2/19 run; and as you say, unless I was going to fly AA a lot more than I anticipate doing in the next year (which is to say, "not much"), I guess it's sort of pointless.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:13 am

Talking

Originally Posted by Spiff

Im thinking about doing this on a PLAT challenge.

Here is my thinking:

My spouse just got promoted and will be traveling globally for the next couple of years. She is platinum on AA and does most of her trips with AA or partners.

Im hoping to join her on trips to Australia, UK, and Asia.

She travels first class to Sydney and Asia, and Business to UK and Europe. Not sure how discounted her tickets are, I know the first class to Sydney a few weeks ago was about $11,000

Since I rarely travel AA (until now) am I in a better position to get upgraded while traveling with her because of her status, miles, points, or upgrades?

Last edited by mdelaur; Feb 11, 2007 at 11:20 am
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by mdelaur
Since I rarely travel AA (until now) am I in a better position to get upgraded while traveling with her because of her status, miles, points, or upgrades?
The only way you'll get upgraded across the pond is on AA metal with miles (or eVIPs). If you are willing to sit in steerage across the pond, then her stickers will upgrade you per her status if she is flying with you.

Otherwise, you're in steerage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.