Reload this Page >

Please post AI, or include AI also.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post AI, or include AI also.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2007, 6:40 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by salut0
I thought you meant Air India -- haven't heard of any mileage runs on them!
My first thought
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Isn't the total PFC the only variable? Isn't the total number of connections on which PFC may be levied limited too?
There is a limit to the number of PFCs charged per ticket, but that's not the only variable. There is a per segment tax as well for domestic US travel. For international itineraries, it gets even more complicated. And all this is before taking into account any vouchers and coupons which may affect taxes.

This has been posted and disagreed upon in many previous threads. Asking again really won't change anything.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I think wanting an all in price will just be a futile exercise. Airport taxes, routing will vary, so there will be very few people who'll get full benefit of all the extra work. I know when I post a MR fare, I'll list the fare basis, carrier and cities involved, along with the price before taxes. Honestly, if you can't figure it out after that, or determine if it's a good run or not, then it seems to be a personal problem.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:09 am

OK here goes. AI ORD-LHR-DEL-BOM-DEL-BOM-LHR-JFK $1152 AI on AI for 20,000 flight returns points enough for a free ticket!!!

While this is slightly more than DL $59 nonstop ORD-JFK fare the DL miles expire in 2 years or whenever they change their rules whicever comes first. The AI miles don't expire as long as you have 20K PTS.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:51 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
It's not just taxes. Sometimes fuel surcharge can be a couple hundred dollars and is not included in the base fare.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Single connections rarely make excellent mileage runs, so should not be assumed in this forum! Those who really know what they are doing (when it comes to excellent MRs) look at and maximize routing and efficiency...and will determine taxes when they determine their routing.

Knowing taxes on ? routing is useless. Unless everyone agrees that X number of connection is standard - impossible if the goal is good MRs as each fare has a different # of possible connections and the benefit of adding connections will be different - we cannot set a standard for listing all in fares.

The all in price with the best routing (as defined by the most miles possible while maintaining a level of efficiency) would be the only logical standard for this. However, a thread starter often has not researched the best routing. And if the fare poster has, posting it here may not be wise. The more something lucrative is posted on FT, the shorter its life span is likely to be.

Many excellent MR fares are posted here and ignored by the majority because they have not looked at (and understood) the routing. Until you know the routing, you do not understand the fare. Many fares allow 2X or 3X the non-stop mileage with 1 or 3 connections each way.

Routing will determine taxes.

For international fares with major surcharges, a non-stop all in price is helpful for someone considering the run. With a few exceptions, the pure mileage runner wanting the most miles for the least miles will not be interested in international fares like these anyway, as the cost/mile is generally much higher.

In this forum, non-stop is not the norm.

Generally, it is less mileage-run knowledgeable FTers who want all in prices for domestic MR posts. If you understand fares, you will have a good idea of what tax will be depending on your routing...the most important aspect for a cost/mile motivated domestic MRer.

Last edited by wanaflyforless; Feb 2, 2007 at 2:25 pm
Old Feb 1, 2007, 6:11 pm

Programs: nada
Originally Posted by wanaflyforless

For international fares with major surcharges, a non-stop all in price is helpful for someone considering the run. With a few exceptions, the pure mileage runner wanting the most miles for the least miles will not be interested in international fares like these anyway, as the cost/mile is generally much higher.
Bingo! I've recently paid $75 and $260 for international taxes and fees (I think the second had a fuel surcharge in there) for 2 different trips. Also, when AA "broke"/bypassed farecompare's inclusion of fuel surcharges a few weeks ago, people were posting the low ++ fare and not AI on here, IRRC. Almost all fares AA had listed there had surcharges that upped the original ++ price a good 50% before taxes hit.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

The surcharges on some international trips are huge.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage
Agree with OP, please post allin. Except say "all-in", instead of AI .
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:57 am
Original Poster

You are right on!

Originally Posted by jaginger
Agree with OP, please post allin. Except say "all-in", instead of AI .
Old Feb 2, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by crnk
Bingo! I've recently paid $75 and $260 for international taxes and fees (I think the second had a fuel surcharge in there) for 2 different trips. Also, when AA "broke"/bypassed farecompare's inclusion of fuel surcharges a few weeks ago, people were posting the low ++ fare and not AI on here, IRRC. Almost all fares AA had listed there had surcharges that upped the original ++ price a good 50% before taxes hit.
Unless the above was a mistake fare, I doubt it was a good MR, as defined by a low cost/mile with relative efficiency.

Routing tends to be key to good MRs. The best MRs have fares so low that a change in routing can add up to 50% to the fare! For example, I purchased STL-SAN last year with a $60 base fare, but on my routing, all is was about $120. The non-stop was a very different price!

Should the post have been STL-SAN $120 all in (my routing 7400 EQM) or STL-SAN $80 all in (nonstop for 3100 EQM).

Those who support all-in, please answer my question!

International fares can be posted with taxes/surchages on the most direct routing...but "most direct routing" needs to be specified. Remember, this is the MR forum, and the most direct routing is rarely the best MR routing.

All in is not necessary, becasue the informed/educated FTer will assume appropriate tax estimates when deciding if a fare is worthwhile. Until an FTer knows the routing, they do not know the true merit of the fare. If you are going to look up routing, you can look up the taxes applicable to that routing at the same time.

This is not a good fares forum. This is a MR forum. Those looking for good fares don't need a good routing, just a low price. For them all in is most useful. Those looking for a good MR need to know routing - and taxes applicable to their particular routing.

Last edited by wanaflyforless; Feb 2, 2007 at 2:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.