Are milages runs becoming "acceptable"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are milages runs becoming "acceptable"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2007, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I have had very little luck in telling my co workers anything about my personal life in past employment experiences in some offices I have been at. If they hear you go skiing on the weekends, they envy you or think you are strange to like the winter when they all hate it. If they hear you travel, they think you are snobby and rich for being so high end or something. If they hear you can speak more than one language they think that stuff too.

yeah, I know...

...and that's why I work for myself currently--while also being the stay at home dad some of the time! Plus this gives me more time to think about FT and miles!
There is no reason to tell anyone anything about your bizarre travels. They will find out and ask you if they want to know. If they don't then when you tell them they will interpret it any bizarre way they want to and make you out to be something that you aren't. I cringe when friends and family that I have arranged something for try to sell the idea to others.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ua_to_ord
FWIW, I was booking an MR with the 1K desk today, and upon hearing my convoluted routing, the agent flat-out asked "are you doing a mileage run?" I answered in the affirmative, and we proceeded to have a friendly conversation about past MRs that he has booked for customers.

Yes, I believe that MRs are becoming more acceptable! ^
Thats funny last week I called the 1k res line. I had done my homework and had all the flights lined up in a certain order (no direct flights ) to maximize miles, (I)buckets all avail to UG etc. Agent had a problem with 1 of the legs, and after 10 mins of searching says " I can get you all the way through with swu's if you want to go to BKK" I'm going to SIN, She presumed I was doing a MR, I didnt want any "notes" on my acct so I said "why would I want to go to BKK?" Dont you know that thailand is under military coup and they just had bombs going off in the streets? Geez why not get me an UG to Bagdad so she laughs and the sez cant find anything. OK click, call back talk to sup and bingo my orig request is there and booked with swus plugged in and confirmed.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by jerry crump
There is no reason to tell anyone anything about your bizarre travels. They will find out and ask you if they want to know. If they don't then when you tell them they will interpret it any bizarre way they want to and make you out to be something that you aren't. I cringe when friends and family that I have arranged something for try to sell the idea to others.
oh yeah I know, but surely many here have been in a situation where someone somewhere who you kinda sorta know enough to chat with about stuff asks, "Hey man, so what are YOU doing this weekend???" And you reply with something like, "Oh, nothing... just heading off to France and back on a really quick el-cheapo jaunt I conjured up from being a member of a miles and travel forum online just to get elite status on United Airlines so my wife and I can fly to Fiji next year completely for free and also treated as first class travelers and hotel customers the entire 2˝ week stay just like everyone in this crappy office wishes they could do but never really will... and you?"

MM

...or ya could just say nuthin' and let 'em think you need to just read the paper on Sunday and chase around that 'effin dog you own again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.