Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are milages runs becoming "acceptable"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2007, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gre
I'm feeling a lot better about my 2 hour turnaround in FRA on 2/4. Thanks!

Thing is though, I'm still afraid to tell Mrs. GRE.
ha ha ha.... you are withholding that? uh-oh! i told mr. curl about my trip to MSP-ATL-FRA on 1/27-1/28. he thinks i'm nuts but knows that i'm much happier when we BOTH travel in FC.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by Seattle Flyer
Customs agents are trained to detect lies or withheld information. If your completely honest and open it tends to show. They don't really care what you're doing there as long as it's not illegal. When they think you're not telling them the truth, or you act like what you are doing is wrong, then you'll get the third degree.

If you act like mileage runs are the norm, they will too. Then of course if mileage runners tend to act guilty then the customs agents will try and figure out why your acting so guilty.
Very valuable observations, and matches exactly my experience... thank you for verbalizing it. I had printouts of my booked itineraries, and two pages of my online frequent flyer account. I had absolutely nothing to hide. The German GA who asked so many questions was precise, and his questions were rapid-fire and direct, and in my total honesty my hesitation wasn't to hide anything, but to answer the questions exactly as they were asked. In all dealings with authority, I was polite, respectful, differential, honest, non-challenging, and even enthusiastic. I was treated with respect, and not a single person of authority, in over 20 hours being airside, made a single rude or derogatory comment about MRs. I was having the trip (and time) of my life... my first TATL MR. It's a good thing they didn't ask about MRs, or I would have bent their ear until boarding...

One thing I did notice during the second screening to get to FRA boarding (first to get airside with xray, the second to get to the gate with wand only), the security was much more "physical"... obviously some cultures are less self-concious about their bodies then others! Security was still male/male and female/female (almost asked for the female, as she was much faster!), but there was none of the US TSA monologue about SSSS security and "we'll do this, this, and this, use the back of our hand, etc, if you wish privacy, we can search you behind that screen". Expect a lot of attention to your collar, belt-area of your pants, cuffs of your pants, etc. And be prepared to get a physical second only to your primary physician... nothing obscene, but the security is done with a lot less self-conciousness, then in the US.

Other obsrvations... don't expect any sympathy from the FAs. Coming back, I was told "you did the turnaround, we don't want to hear about your sore butt".

And don't be suprised if you're sitting next to another MR'er... it happended to me! The most surreal moment was when I recognized my seatmate in the boarding area, before the return. I introduced myself by asking what seat he was in. After realizing he was in the same seat both ways, I mentioned we'd be sitting next to each other again. He said he was an infrequent FT reader, and never posted, we swapped war stories and advice a few times, but basically left each other alone. It was sort of another fun war-story, in the making. And according to the FA, there was a 3rd further in the back, who said he did the turnaround also. It's getting to be "spot the MR'er", the same as we've been doing "spot the FAM"!

Steve B.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by sbagdon
Very valuable observations, and matches exactly my experience... thank you for verbalizing it. I had printouts of my booked itineraries, and two pages of my online frequent flyer account. I had absolutely nothing to hide. The German GA who asked so many questions was precise, and his questions were rapid-fire and direct, and in my total honesty my hesitation wasn't to hide anything, but to answer the questions exactly as they were asked. In all dealings with authority, I was polite, respectful, differential, honest, non-challenging, and even enthusiastic. I was treated with respect, and not a single person of authority, in over 20 hours being airside, made a single rude or derogatory comment about MRs. I was having the trip (and time) of my life... my first TATL MR. It's a good thing they didn't ask about MRs, or I would have bent their ear until boarding...

One thing I did notice during the second screening to get to FRA boarding (first to get airside with xray, the second to get to the gate with wand only), the security was much more "physical"... obviously some cultures are less self-concious about their bodies then others! Security was still male/male and female/female (almost asked for the female, as she was much faster!), but there was none of the US TSA monologue about SSSS security and "we'll do this, this, and this, use the back of our hand, etc, if you wish privacy, we can search you behind that screen". Expect a lot of attention to your collar, belt-area of your pants, cuffs of your pants, etc. And be prepared to get a physical second only to your primary physician... nothing obscene, but the security is done with a lot less self-conciousness, then in the US.

Other obsrvations... don't expect any sympathy from the FAs. Coming back, I was told "you did the turnaround, we don't want to hear about your sore butt".

And don't be suprised if you're sitting next to another MR'er... it happended to me! The most surreal moment was when I recognized my seatmate in the boarding area, before the return. I introduced myself by asking what seat he was in. After realizing he was in the same seat both ways, I mentioned we'd be sitting next to each other again. He said he was an infrequent FT reader, and never posted, we swapped war stories and advice a few times, but basically left each other alone. It was sort of another fun war-story, in the making. And according to the FA, there was a 3rd further in the back, who said he did the turnaround also. It's getting to be "spot the MR'er", the same as we've been doing "spot the FAM"!

Steve B.
that was a great post and I thank you for talking objectively and not judgingly. I would probably follow your ideas in my MRs now because of this.

I do have a silly question about MRs and maybe you experts on the subject can enlighten me. Perhaps it deserves its own thread or maybe it's already been done, but here goes...

Ok, when you do an MR, why would you feel guilty or act stealth about anything? AND why is it ever considered anything wrong? I mean, ok, maybe it's a little weird to those who know little about status or the whole FT game we play, but surely, those who WORK ON the plane know what's up, and if they don't, well, at least they are in the industry.

The customs people have a reason to be concerned. After all, post 911, people who pop in and out so quickly are probably up to no good, they must think. Why else would someone spend what could be thousands just to go back to where they started!

Is THAT the only real problem with the MR? the possible social concerns from some unknowing passerby or the customs person raising an eyebrow of suspicion? Or is there more?

Could the airlines somehow be "upset" or worried that too many people have "figured this one out?"

I know from a marketing standpoint, they sure get that way with pretty much every other "deal" or "trick" we come up with in here. I mean, look at the demise of gift cards, money order schemes, Ebay Anything points, AAA traveler's checks, buying from the airline malls and ending up only purchasing a store gift certificate that you can cash out or sell, churning credit cards, or other things! Look at surveys and promos that have limits, targeted mailings that we eventually get our hands on, and stuff like that. Why, if marketing had any hand in trying to somehow CONTROL the world of the MR traveler, they'd find some harsh and illogical but very effective way to limit the number of miles you can earn on taking the same trip! Why, that would totally stink! All the "legitimate" business travelers in the entire universe would completely hate everyone in this thread!

I like the concept of the MR. it's genious and cool all in one! I have seen some doosers that I might never endure, and my wife thinks it's completely insane. But hey, she's not posting this. I am. like i said earlier, she does enjoy the FC travel! But I mean, hey, maybe some big eye'd bimbo sitting in the seat next to you in a hot mini skirt finds you nice to chat with and maybe even thinks you're kinda cute might now suddenly think you're weird or nerdy if you tell her you're just trying to get miles and NOT traveling today to see the West Coast for the weekend, but who needs her, right? As with any business transaction where, in this case, you ARE paying for it just like anyone else flying that day, you are on a mission to better your future needs.

I just wanna know from all of you what, if anything else, the big problem is for anyone other than non savvy travelers or customs agents (by the latter, you all know I mean security people from any country who great you and see you off at airports who question you and make your heart pound even if you did nothing wrong so that this in itself becomes the issue...)

MM
Old Jan 15, 2007, 5:35 pm

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
FWIW, I was booking an MR with the 1K desk today, and upon hearing my convoluted routing, the agent flat-out asked "are you doing a mileage run?" I answered in the affirmative, and we proceeded to have a friendly conversation about past MRs that he has booked for customers.

Yes, I believe that MRs are becoming more acceptable! ^
Old Jan 15, 2007, 5:40 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
Since so many mistake fares have originated recently in YYZ, I have been transiting that airport quite a bit. Despite having been hauled into 'secondary' on at least 4 occasions and explaining my 'MR agenda' and being quickly released, I am surprised that I keep getting pulled over.

One would think that my profile would have already alerted them about MRing tendencies. Yet, each time I get stopped, I'm questioned as if they had no prior knowledge of my stops in 'secondary'.

As previous posters atteat, the 'truth will set you free'. Its good to have your itin on hand, maybe a FFP statement, your elite card and a note from your significant oher vouching for your flying insanity!
Old Jan 15, 2007, 6:00 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
I did a Mileage Run earlier this week, even though I use the term loosely (out Tue back Sun, incl. a lot of domestic flights on DL/NW).

Sure enough, on ATL-LGW I get the same F/A as on LGW-ATL (she got the same role on both flights).

As I was the first person in Y to board, we both met and recognised each other right away, her comment was "You know you fly too much when you see the same passengers and as a passenger you see the same flight attendants". On the flight she was real nice though you could clearly see she had read the manifest and found out I was elite plus and offered that much more of a friendly service.

US immigration has become a breeze for me now, I have so many stamps in my (Canadian) passport that they don't even talk to me anymore. Just a "hello" and "bye", nothing else. Always funny to see the first time visitors around who see me and think it will be as easy but then get the agents wrath.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:55 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
One thing I did notice during the second screening to get to FRA boarding...

I assume the mention of a FRA MR and the sympathy or lack thereof from FA's aren't from the same MR. The transatlantic FA's don't turn around the same day on such long flights, but usually have an overnight in FRA and don't return until the following day. So you would not see the same FA's on an immediate turnaround in FRA, or?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
It seems like no one has reason to be nervous with customs/immigration, but another honest way to answer could be "I am just transiting the airport/country." I have never done an immediate out-and-back mileage run, but I have left the sterile area several times when I've had a few-hour layover (which I intend to do in CDG later this week), which is equivalent as far as customs and immigration are concerned, isn't it?
Old Jan 16, 2007, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Ok, when you do an MR, why would you feel guilty or act stealth about anything? AND why is it ever considered anything wrong? I mean, ok, maybe it's a little weird to those who know little about status or the whole FT game we play, but surely, those who WORK ON the plane know what's up, and if they don't, well, at least they are in the industry.
(and thanks for the kind words!)

The "what do you tell your family/friends/peers/coworkers" thread has been resurrected a few times, believe GeoGirl was the last one. But my opinion? Here goes... people who fly MRs are different. People who feel different act differently. People who feel other people are different treat other people differently. The trick is to not feel different, and not feel that someone else is different... just unique... and growth can help deal with that. It involves a lot of "selfs"... self-assuredness, self-awareness, self-conciousness, etc. That's not a big thing right now, so differences will rule, at least for a while. Oh, well. It just is.

Originally Posted by fti
I assume the mention of a FRA MR and the sympathy or lack thereof from FA's aren't from the same MR. The transatlantic FA's don't turn around the same day on such long flights, but usually have an overnight in FRA and don't return until the following day. So you would not see the same FA's on an immediate turnaround in FRA, or?
Correct. The outbound FAs had a one-day layover. On the return (with different FAs) it was easier to just mention that Row 10 was occupied by MR'ers (with the humor that we each had the same seats both ways). From my experience, this puts the FAs at ease, especially in an exit row, when they know that the people sitting in front of them for taxi, takeoff and landing, aren't newbies, and can take care of themselves (literally and figuratively). Also means we're not whiners, and if we want something, we'll most probably take care of ourselves. Since we'd be spending the next 10-11 hours together, better an at-ease FA, then a not-at-ease FA.

Steve B.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(and thanks for the kind words!)

The "what do you tell your family/friends/peers/coworkers" thread has been resurrected a few times, believe GeoGirl was the last one. But my opinion? Here goes... people who fly MRs are different. People who feel different act differently. People who feel other people are different treat other people differently. The trick is to not feel different, and not feel that someone else is different... just unique... and growth can help deal with that. It involves a lot of "selfs"... self-assuredness, self-awareness, self-conciousness, etc. That's not a big thing right now, so differences will rule, at least for a while. Oh, well. It just is.

Correct. The outbound FAs had a one-day layover. On the return (with different FAs) it was easier to just mention that Row 10 was occupied by MR'ers (with the humor that we each had the same seats both ways). From my experience, this puts the FAs at ease, especially in an exit row, when they know that the people sitting in front of them for taxi, takeoff and landing, aren't newbies, and can take care of themselves (literally and figuratively). Also means we're not whiners, and if we want something, we'll most probably take care of ourselves. Since we'd be spending the next 10-11 hours together, better an at-ease FA, then a not-at-ease FA.

Steve B.
Different is GOOD! that's how I grew up! ^ ^ ^

Anyway, about the MRs on return flights...

This is a theory, but maybe it has weight to it:

I find that security seems to both dislike and also create routine at the same time, and it also tends to disrupt it for the sake of security...

They probably get suspicious when everyone seems to know what's up and yet that's what they strive for. When security thinks people are comfortable with any given system, they change said system so no one can screw with it. They may not like the MR type because he/she seems to know too much! OR, because the person is TOO comfortable and is sitting with others who are the same way. Why are these certain FC passengers so calm, they may wonder? Did they all like make peace with Allah and now it's see ya bye bye? (don't bite me anyone--I read that line somewhere and that's JUST a stupid example) maybe THAT's what security is wondering! (not me)

And so maybe security is concerned unless their version of "normal" is adheared to. It's a narrow line and frankly, it bugs me more than being patted down or having to wait longer or not carry certain items on the plane. You are sometimes FORCED too far to be something you just arent when you fly. And yet you must do it.

Maybe security wants to be the one to change it up and feels bested when someone knows what to do and is prepared to do it without question. the MR is an experienced flyer who fits that model but in a way, it could actually challenge security! Why, they STILL have to tell that person SOMETHING about how many rules or policies there are. Maybe THAT is why you get the SSSS notation on your boarding card. I dunno. I just think security wants all the control, and while they can go and have it as far as i'm concerned, it can get a bit annoying sometimes.

Consider how now if you call your bank, the "what's your mother's maiden name" question is hardly ever used anymore! Now they want YOU to set up like 10 questions on a certain computer that, if you use another one to log into your account, they may ask you some of them and you need to answer with caps in the right place or you get locked out.

Similarly, I could see it now: Security maybe wonders how and why all these people are so comfortable with one another and the staff! Could they ALL be trying to take over a plane here?

Hey, I'm just shootin in the dark lookin for the WHY in life... even if I DO the things myself.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 8:57 am

My friends already know about all my travels but I don't tell them about the mileage runs for the same reasons already mentioned here. Last week, one of my co-workers asked me about my plans for this weekend and I told her about one of the mileage runs. Now she is going to book 3 of them.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 9:07 am

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
Originally Posted by gre
I'm feeling a lot better about my 2 hour turnaround in FRA on 2/4. Thanks!

Thing is though, I'm still afraid to tell Mrs. GRE.
-------------
2 hours? TWO hours??? You call that a MR? What a waste of time.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Viajera
My friends already know about all my travels but I don't tell them about the mileage runs for the same reasons already mentioned here. Last week, one of my co-workers asked me about my plans for this weekend and I told her about one of the mileage runs. Now she is going to book 3 of them.
I have had very little luck in telling my co workers anything about my personal life in past employment experiences in some offices I have been at. If they hear you go skiing on the weekends, they envy you or think you are strange to like the winter when they all hate it. If they hear you travel, they think you are snobby and rich for being so high end or something. If they hear you can speak more than one language they think that stuff too.

yeah, I know...

...and that's why I work for myself currently--while also being the stay at home dad some of the time! Plus this gives me more time to think about FT and miles!
Old Jan 16, 2007, 9:25 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by Javan69
-------------
2 hours? TWO hours??? You call that a MR? What a waste of time.
I stand properly shamed . But at least I'm heading for FRA from IAD by way of ORD (both ways).
Old Jan 16, 2007, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott
I'm finding myself doing less MR's these days, more so going for DO's. Like the Detox DO in LHR this past weekend:

LHR passport control: "How long will you be staying?"

Me: "Oh, I just came for dinner, I'm going home tomorrow"

LHRPC: "wow, must be an important dinner"

Me: "yes, very much so!"

LHRPC: "Are you proposing to someone?"

Me: "it's not that important"

LHRPC: *STAMP* "Cheers!"

hehe (then I changed my flight to the following day).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.