Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

Best Mileage Run Ever - MERGED

Best Mileage Run Ever - MERGED

Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:00 pm

I probably got the best mileage deal on the United triple miles promotion where we actually ended up getting 5X the miles. I know I did a SIN run and BKK run during that time.

I guess my favorite cheap deal that I was able to take advantage of was a $143 round trip to Venice back in August 2003. This was on KLM and at the moment I don't recall the mileage. Other favorite cheap deal was the sub $100 round trip to Iceland in June (unfortunately no miles, so technically not an MR.)
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
The best MR is quite subjective; what makes it best?

- Should obvious mistake fares even count?
- Should difficulty of getting to start point count?
- Taxes/fees?
- Class of service?
- Lower cost per mile/eqm because of promos?
- Bump runs?
- # of people who were able to take advantage?
- Dificulty/Ease of ticketing?

I see flying as an art and would like to define the best MR as the lowest CPM (distance flown only; no bonuses of any kind) calcualated based on entire trip cost (fare + taxes + food + lodging + misc) booked without using an abvious mistake fare or routing.
I mistakes in fares are great, but has no element of challenge that comes with building a mileage run.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Yaatri
The amount paid to fly and the number of miles earned both should be factored. The four of us were ticketed for DCA-MSP-PDX-HNL-SEA-AMS-ARN-AMS-SEA-LAX-MEM-DCA for 256340 or so EQM miles, at $437. The SEA-AMS leg was oversold. We volunteered two seats. Two of us flew SEA-AMS as scheduled, but in WBC, the other two flew SEA-MSP-AMS (ended up with 26320 or so EQMs) in FC and WBC, and recieved $750 each in bump vouchers. Upon return we were bumped upto FC SEA to HNL due to a screwup. It's my best so far.
Was this around Nov 05?

I had a fare on nwa that was setup for a similar routing in business for marginally more than that around the Nov 05 period, but didn't pull the trigger. That would've been a good one.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I am reading all these great MRs with envy. Personally, I am still learning how to put one together (currently reading the MR primer on FT).
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:36 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Not including mistake fares, my best mileage run was last summer. Being in SFO and wanting to visit a friend in LAX I saw that DL had a fare for about $130 all in. Of course the obvious routing was the direct DL codeshare with AA. However, the routing allowed connections in both SJC and IAH! So I travelled SJC-SLC-IAH-LAX and back earning 10 times as many miles as the direct flight would have given me!
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
1 cent fares on US
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:41 pm

Programs: (almost) everything!
Originally Posted by Gnopps
Of course the obvious routing was the direct DL codeshare with AA. However, the routing allowed connections in both SJC and IAH! So I travelled SJC-SLC-IAH-LAX and back earning 10 times as many miles as the direct flight would have given me!
Yup. DL used to have (still?) such fares. I took advantage of OAK-SAN fare as well.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 3:48 pm

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
I think my first MR might have been the best. In 2004 my wife and I both got emails from UA saying we could earn 5K EQM for each qualifying RT during a certain period, up to a total of 15K for 3 RTS.

I used bump vouchers to buy us three LAX-LAS RTs on the same day. We drove up from San Diego and flew them. It was a TED-Fest!

We got the 15K apiece bonus EQM in addition to the regular 500 mile minimum x 6=3K for the segments. So that's 36K EQM between the two of us for under $500, I don't recall exactly, but I do know we had bump vouchers to cover it, so zero cost except for the drive to LA from SD.

I met my first FTer ITRW that day, da1dan. He was doing the same thing as us.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 4:16 pm

Several great ones featured in Mileage Run Tools Part 2, as well (post 2).
Old Aug 8, 2006, 4:17 pm

In the Olden Days

Air Canada had 6X bonus for every flight in January 1988, minimum 800 miles at that time.
Vancouver to Victoria/Nanaimo(about 30 miles and half an hour) for about $40-50 Candian return resulted in 9600 accrued miles.
In those days business class anywhere in North America(with a stopover) was only 25K; also two tickets up to 1500 miles were also only 25K.
Gotta be a contender!
Old Aug 8, 2006, 4:26 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
$106 LAX-CDG about four years ago. I was the first who broke the news on FlyerTalk.

I also snagged six $129 LAX-JFK trips for the next two months.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by Yaatri
I mistakes in fares are great, but has no element of challenge that comes with building a mileage run.
Exactly. Miskakes are great but have little to do with the art/challenge/skill of building a MR.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 7:42 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
$93 NWA LAX-HNL including 2 nights hotel was my favorite as it was pure EQMs and vacation rolled into one amazing package.

After that its the already mentioned LCA run and the upcoming TUS-SYR-SEA runs.

I also booked a $400 LAS-SFO-CDG-SFO-LAS UA vacation that got me an op-up into C with 50% EQM bonus. Unfortunately, my biz IFE did not work, so UA is sending me a voucher for $150

Thank you again FT!
Old Aug 8, 2006, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
A $375 SAN-DTW-AMS weekend trip/quasi MR that resulted in a bump and an upgrade to NW WBC.

Originally, I was offered $750 to take the bump. Asked about WBC and was offered WBC + 300.. took that.

Net cost of the flight: About $75.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 8:25 pm
Posting Legend, Moderator, Manufactured Spending

Programs: HH Silver
See also:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=568641

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.