Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

Same day return MR to SJC on UA

Old Jan 5, 2007, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2+MM

It's not the best cpm I've come up with, but it gets me started for 2007 and doesn't cost me time away from work.. it also gives me 5 hours in SJC. The question is, what do I do with my time? I've never spent any time in San Jose before and would rather not have to rent a car so bus/metro would be best. I don't have RCC access and would rather get out of the airport anyway. Any recommendations?

thanks,
Silverado
Old Jan 5, 2007, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
If you like to play Poker Bay 101 is probably a 15/20 minute walk from the airport. Or 10 dollar taxi ride
Old Jan 5, 2007, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Can you standby and get the heck out of there?

SJC is such a horrible, dumpy airport, and as with most of Silicon Valley, you can't get anywhere without a car.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 8:40 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
I fly to SJC all the time for work. It's a boring place and without a car, ugh.

What time of day do you arrive? If you're there at dinner time, take a cab downtown and try AP Stump's on Santa Clara St. Now mostly a chop house, but some other nice items on the menu. They also have a nice wine list. Very expensive though.

They used to have a dessert chef from Normandy who made great dishes, but they had a fire a few years ago and redid the restaurant. He's now gone, although a few of his desserts seem to have survived.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

That's what I was afraid of.. I can try to catch an earlier flight back to LAX providing I have no delays getting there. It looks like there should be seats on the 2:16 flight. That would mean I would just shift my 5 hours to LAX, but I'm more familiar with that and I can catch a local bus to either Venice / Santa Monica or Hermosa Beach for dinner and a beach walk.

Otherwise, maybe I'll check out the poker games and try to win enough to improve my MR's cpm.. beginner's luck, maybe?

thanks for the info,
Silverado
Old Jan 5, 2007, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
What time of day do you arrive?
Afternoon, unfortunately. If nothing else I might see if I can find a place to get some lunch and walk around a bit. It looks like I can catch a VTA bus to the Metro station and then catch the train into downtown.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
The local train runs all along first street into downtown
Old Jan 6, 2007, 12:23 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Silverado
I don't have RCC access and would rather get out of the airport anyway.
There is no RCC (or any lounge, I think, aside from the USO lounge). Like everyone else said, it'll be hard to get anywhere without a car. If you call Stanford admissions and pretend your a prospective student, I think they run a shuttle and will pick you up/drop you off. Downtown Palo Alto is a great place is walk around/shop/eat.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 6:38 am

Downtown Palo Alto and Mountain Vew are ok to take a walk and eat. Free shuttle(?) to SJ Caltrain station and Caltrain will take you to either downtown
Old Jan 6, 2007, 9:28 am

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
I would standby and split ASAP. Nothing depresses me more than time spent at SJC. Simply put, it is horrible excuse for an airport. And previous posters are right - w/o a car, it's tough to get around the Silicon Valley, especially on a weekend, no matter what the politicos and public transit boosters want you to think.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:08 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Would love to help you but I have nothing good to say about San Jose..
Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by channa
SJC is such a horrible, dumpy airport
Absolutely true. For a place as nice as the Bay Area, SJC is a pathetic excuse for an international gateway.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:35 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by xj47
There is no RCC (or any lounge, I think, aside from the USO lounge). Like everyone else said, it'll be hard to get anywhere without a car. If you call Stanford admissions and pretend your a prospective student, I think they run a shuttle and will pick you up/drop you off. Downtown Palo Alto is a great place is walk around/shop/eat.
There is an AA Admirals Club near the American gates. Unfortunately AA and WN share a separate terminal as the other airlines. It is a nice club that is quite large for the size of the airport, built back when AA thought SJC might make a nice hub. Assuming you are travelling on a weekend, I would encourage you to look into the $9.99 rent-a-car specials Enterprise occasionally runs. Driving from SJC to the coast should take about an hour and is usually quite beautiful. If you had more time, I'd encourage you to check out the world's coolest Taco Bell in Pacifica.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
You could take VTA at Metro to Great Malls.. enjoy the walking and have great Chinese Dim Sum there
Old Jan 6, 2007, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K
This is all starting to sound fun! What day are you going to be there?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.