Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

"Good Deal" premium fares

"Good Deal" premium fares

Old Jul 8, 2009, 10:31 am

Programs: AC*SE
Anyone have a cheap way of getting to CMB to start this thing? Maybe I missed that part... getting home from HNL isn't difficult for me it's just getting to CMB. (and I'm looking from Canada).
Old Jul 8, 2009, 10:50 am

Programs: LH FTL, TK Gold, AZ Gold, CC Concierge, HH Diamond
CMB-HNL

Originally Posted by skunker
Because it's a CI fare. Why don't people understand that you have to fly with the carrier that files the fare? This has come up several times when less than ideal carriers have great deals. Depending on the fare rules you may be able to route legs on other carriers, but you cannot completely avoid the carrier.
I am not fuzzy about flying CI for the last leg besides I am able to get the other legs ticketed in F on TG and SQ
So far I just found C Class available on XP!
Any ideas
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by tomnikde
I am not fuzzy about flying CI for the last leg besides I am able to get the other legs ticketed in F on TG and SQ
So far I just found C Class available on XP!
Any ideas
ITA is applying fare differentials to get you into F. i.e. the difference between C & F on TG's BKK-NRT isn't too much, so you can pay the difference and sit in F. If Expedia doesn't seem to do this automatically for you then you need another TA, either online or a real person.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:21 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by CdnFlier
Anyone have a cheap way of getting to CMB to start this thing? Maybe I missed that part... getting home from HNL isn't difficult for me it's just getting to CMB. (and I'm looking from Canada).
This is the only reason AA O/W awards are actually good news despite losing the free stopover in destination zone. By the way, have dibs on CX F YYZ-HKG so butt out!
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:48 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by johnnybgood3
This is the only reason AA O/W awards are actually good news despite losing the free stopover in destination zone. By the way, have dibs on CX F YYZ-HKG so butt out!
Ahhh... fair enough.. the OW awards with AE aren't so impressive. I'll have to see what the award cost on this one is, but don't worry I'd likely be going from YYC. If I have to use so many points to begin with.. not sure if it's worth the MR for me.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:43 pm

Programs: KL PFL; BA Silver; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Stopovers

Any chance to add a stopover to MPM fare w/o repricing? For example by simply missing second (etc) segment and saying "I will fly tomorrow" in case there are no penalties for "no show"?
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:44 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Because it's a CI fare. Why don't people understand that you have to fly with the carrier that files the fare? This has come up several times when less than ideal carriers have great deals. Depending on the fare rules you may be able to route legs on other carriers, but you cannot completely avoid the carrier.
Au contraire! I was recently sold a ticket for a fare filed by Delta and I haven't got a single bit of Delta metal in the itinerary, just a couple of codeshares where the operating carrier is Air France.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 2:48 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Spiff
Au contraire! I was recently sold a ticket for a fare filed by Delta and I haven't got a single bit of Delta metal in the itinerary, just a couple of codeshares where the operating carrier is Air France.
True, but it is a DL code-share right? You still have a DL flight just not DL metal. So, yes, you could avoid the carriers metal, but you can't avoid their flights. CI code-share trans-pac?
Old Jul 8, 2009, 3:52 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
True, but it is a DL code-share right? You still have a DL flight just not DL metal. So, yes, you could avoid the carriers metal, but you can't avoid their flights. CI code-share trans-pac?
Quite true.

And, for mileage-earning purposes, I don't want to have anything to do with CI.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
Originally Posted by Keter
Any chance to add a stopover to MPM fare w/o repricing? For example by simply missing second (etc) segment and saying "I will fly tomorrow" in case there are no penalties for "no show"?
No, it would trigger a HIP check for your stopover and you would have to pay a higher price from your stopover.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
Though depending on your luck/carrier, you might get lucky by simply missing your flight. But they might reprice it.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by CdnFlier
Ahhh... fair enough.. the OW awards with AE aren't so impressive. I'll have to see what the award cost on this one is, but don't worry I'd likely be going from YYC. If I have to use so many points to begin with.. not sure if it's worth the MR for me.
Indeed, this isn't much of an MR though, netting only 10-12k BIS miles with at least 1 long segment on CI.

The fare rules say unlimited stopovers but I haven't gotten any to price out aside from 12 hour stops here and there.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 4:45 pm

The fare rules say unlimited stopovers but I haven't gotten any to price out aside from 12 hour stops here and there.
This comes up over and over again. Honestly mods, we need a "READ ME / BASIC FARE RULES 101" at the top of this forum.

johnnybgood3, you will not succeed in getting this to price at the same level with a stopover of >24 hrs. You can put down the mouse and stop trying. The key point is that although the stopover is free (it is truly, even when the fare jumps up $$$$), the Higher Intermediate Point (HIP) check will kick in and reprice the fare based on where you have taken the stopover. A HIP check is a standard IATA rule IIRC, and the only time you will be able to take a stop and not have it reprice is when HIP is explicitly waived in the fare rules.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by gbsfo
This comes up over and over again. Honestly mods, we need a "READ ME / BASIC FARE RULES 101" at the top of this forum.

johnnybgood3, you will not succeed in getting this to price at the same level with a stopover of >24 hrs. You can put down the mouse and stop trying. The key point is that although the stopover is free (it is truly, even when the fare jumps up $$$$), the Higher Intermediate Point (HIP) check will kick in and reprice the fare based on where you have taken the stopover. A HIP check is a standard IATA rule IIRC, and the only time you will be able to take a stop and not have it reprice is when HIP is explicitly waived in the fare rules.
Why are you so frustrated? I'm the one with the mouse removal surgery coming up

That said, I also think that would be nice but I'm in no position to ask anyone for favors.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
I just did an award ticket on YYZ-HKG in F on CX, it was great but its NOT SQ or EK. I was a bit disapointed and HORRID flight times home.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.