Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, NWA, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
Help: UA LAX-BWI Run - very short connection time

I plan to do a quick LAX-BWI run. found the following itinerary on united.com:
United Airlines 308 10:55 pm LAX <---> 6:44 am (Next day) BWI Non-stop
United Airlines 305 7:00 am BWI <---> 9:43 am LAX Non-stop
It seems perfect for me, but the connection time is very short, only 16min. Is it possible to make it? anyone has similar experience? Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

don't do it. that is obviously too short.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Alitalia Confiscated iPod Club
United uses two gates at BWI, and they're both next to each other. I'd actually be surprised if these two flights weren't on the same plane, but the connection time seems a bit short for that.

But if they're on separate aircraft, you'd probably be screwed, so I wouldn't recommend doing it. Spend a day in DC, it's nice here.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 11:07 pm

Programs: CO, UA, who cares what level, that doesn't make me special, now does it?
I doubt you could ticket this even if you tried.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bspencerco
I doubt you could ticket this even if you tried.
United.com will allow this to be ticketed since we're talking about :16 between inbound and outbound legs not time for a transfer.

I'd guess you'd probably make it a few minutes before they close the door, but it's pretty short. Any delay would mean you'd have to standby for the 8:15 to DEN transferring to LAX.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 3:11 pm

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by im-headed-west
United.com will allow this to be ticketed since we're talking about :16 between inbound and outbound legs not time for a transfer.

I'd guess you'd probably make it a few minutes before they close the door, but it's pretty short. Any delay would mean you'd have to standby for the 8:15 to DEN transferring to LAX.
So, provided it doesn't result in a much greater fare and/or much later time back in LAX, then would the advice to OP be to book the 8:15AM return to LAX thru DEN and try to make the 7AM non-stop to LAX as a standby?
Old Nov 27, 2005, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itsme
So, provided it doesn't result in a much greater fare and/or much later time back in LAX, then would the advice to OP be to book the 8:15AM return to LAX thru DEN and try to make the 7AM non-stop to LAX as a standby?
My advise would be to fly BWI-PHL-SEA-SFO-LAX

There are a few morning bwi to hub flights after 7:00, so if you wanted to play it safe BWI-ORD-LAX or BWI-DEN-LAX might be considered ... then try to hop on the non-stop return before they close the door ... hopefully not in a middle seat for 5 hours.

I'd never do a non-stop run, but if I had to for some reason I'd roll the dice and book the non-stop to avoid the good possibility of a middle seat.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, NWA, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
thanks for the suggestion

I had though it was the same plane in and out, but seems I was wrong. So I gonna give up. I actually prefer non-stop MRs, since they are easy to find and fit my schedule better. maybe I am lazy.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 11:44 pm

I've done LAX-BWI with a slightly longer turn than you're talking about, and it was fine, but not the same plane. There aren't that many flights each day to BWI, so planes are routed all over - last January I flew ORD-BWI-LAX, and was surprised to get the same plane and flight crew for both legs.

You might be able to sort of figure out (or guess) what planes are scheduled for which routes by looking at all the arriving and departing flights' times and aircraft types, since there are only two gates and both 757 and A3-somethings are used.

It's weird that flight 305 is at 6:55 some days and dates, 7:00 on others, and 7:55 still others. Maybe you could pick a day when it's at 7:55.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:51 am

My advise would be to fly BWI-PHL-SEA-SFO-LAX
Can you make such an itinerary (BWI-PHL-SEA-SFO-LAX) work on UA as an MR on any upcoming dates?

It appears that UA has no BWI-PHL flights, and if as an alternative one starts from IAD (IAD-PHL-SEA-SFO-LAX), then the RT (LAX-IAD), then the travel may price at >$600, which won't do for MR purposes. (And if one originates from BWI or IAD, they must end their trip back at the airport they started from or miss out on the substantial EC and WC bonus miles.)
Old Nov 28, 2005, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you make such an itinerary (BWI-PHL-SEA-SFO-LAX) work on UA as an MR on any upcoming dates?
No ... it was a joke dude.

It appears that UA has no BWI-PHL flights, and if as an alternative one starts from IAD (IAD-PHL-SEA-SFO-LAX), then the RT (LAX-IAD), then the travel may price at >$600, which won't do for MR purposes. (And if one originates from BWI or IAD, they must end their trip back at the airport they started from or miss out on the substantial EC and WC bonus miles.)
MRs have been slim pickins out of IAD for the last several months, and I'm not aware of any really good MRs out of, or into, the DCA area on UA.

I've got a few year end MRs out of BWI to SEA, but they were booked more than a month ago.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 1:11 am

paucity of UA opportunities out of WAS

No ... it was a joke dude.

MRs have been slim pickins out of IAD for the last several months, and I'm not aware of any really good MRs out of, or into, the DCA area on UA.

I've got a few year end MRs out of BWI to SEA, but they were booked more than a month ago.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Re UA MRs out of IAD - with time available to me in Nov and Dec, I had entertained the thought of going for 1K with the help of the double EQM offer, but then gave up on it. Did think, though, that I could fly some the first week of Jan to get off to a quick start for '06. But to my surprise and chagrin, I like you have not seen very good prospects. (EC and WC bonuses are an encouragement.) And on MR forum of late, UA seems to be very underrepresented. Temporary aberration or the start of a long drought, perhaps brought on, or at least influenced by, the demise of DH?
Old Nov 30, 2005, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for clearing that up.

Re UA MRs out of IAD - with time available to me in Nov and Dec, I had entertained the thought of going for 1K with the help of the double EQM offer, but then gave up on it. Did think, though, that I could fly some the first week of Jan to get off to a quick start for '06. But to my surprise and chagrin, I like you have not seen very good prospects. (EC and WC bonuses are an encouragement.) And on MR forum of late, UA seems to be very underrepresented. Temporary aberration or the start of a long drought, perhaps brought on, or at least influenced by, the demise of DH?
Not sure why the drought. Most segments I've been on have been pretty full except out of SEA. Had a SEA-SFO 757 go out with 9 up front and 21 in the back , and SEA-PDX is rarely half full, but out of IAD, BWI, SFO, LAX, ... have been pretty full. Seems they don't need to discount. The best recent DCA area domestic deals have been out of BWI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.