Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me construct a MR on AS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Help me construct a MR on AS

Will be flying JNU-ANC soon, need to go for a segment run. I know I could book a milk-run flight but that would only count as two segments (JNU-ANC, ANC-JNU).
To go for the segment count... should I just book bunch of different segments?
Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by herzmeh
Will be flying JNU-ANC soon, need to go for a segment run. I know I could book a milk-run flight but that would only count as two segments (JNU-ANC, ANC-JNU).
Huh?
Old Mar 14, 2006, 5:38 pm

I think you are better off getting down to Seattle and flying around the continental US from there. Since there is more competition there, you are likely to find lower fares that would make a mileage/segment run more palatable.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 6:20 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
If you mean to do a segment run within AK, I think you'll find it rather pricey.

AFAIK, most AS MRers construct rather gawdawful day trips using the likes of SEA and GEG and PDX (i.e. mostly Horizon hops) doing a series of cheap-ish 3-leg trips over a period of a few days. If you're based in JNU then you might look at the milk run with some layovers, but in general I think the schedule won't be very supportive.

Might help you to go to ita.com and learn the route syntax to see what torturous trips you can plan for yourself.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
If you're based in JNU then you might look at the milk run with some layovers, but in general I think the schedule won't be very supportive.
The schedules between the milk run cities assure that the only practical way to get multiple stops is the milk run itself. This, of course, is useless to the OP's goal, since the milk run is one flight number the whole way through, and would count as one segment.

(The only other legal routing is through GST, which AS is not serving currently.)

Mike
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:15 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by nako
The schedules between the milk run cities assure that the only practical way to get multiple stops is the milk run itself. This, of course, is useless to the OP's goal, since the milk run is one flight number the whole way through, and would count as one segment.
Right, unless s/he gets off and takes the continuation the next day. That's why I mentioned layovers using the milk run.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:44 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I saw fork over the extra cash and go to MIA and the over to PVR. NOW that to me would be a nice lil MR. Of course you'd need to do a few days lay over but think of the nice tan you'd have when ya got back home
Old Mar 15, 2006, 5:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
Tips?

I'm based in ANC and, although a FT noob and MR virgin, have been searching for the past month for a decent MR out of ANC. I've tried Dream Maps, ITA, Expedia, FareChase, etc. but can't seem to find a decent cost per mile. Are there any obvious strategies or resources I'm overlooking? I know getting out of Alaska is probably the fare-killer, so I'm guessing I'll have to focus on the routing. It just seems the decent fares I find are pretty limited in that respect. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. In the meantime, back to the Mileage Run Tools sticky I go...

BTW, does anyone know if FT'ers in ANC get together periodically like the Seattlites do?
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by AKronin
I know getting out of Alaska is probably the fare-killer, so I'm guessing I'll have to focus on the routing.
I think you're right that getting out of Alaska is the hard part. So perhaps it would be best to find the cheapest way down to the lower 48 (regardless of routing) and then do MR's from there. For example, if you can get a half decent fare to SEA, there seem to often be SEA-east coast runs on AA/NW that pop up on here, and you could do those for AS credit. Repeat 2-3 times, then fly home to ANC?
Old Mar 15, 2006, 1:02 pm

Thanks crhptic, I suspected that might be the case. I'll investigate booking ANC-SEA separately from SEA-XYZ then. My Dream Map certainly looks much more appealing when I change my home airport from ANC to SEA.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by crhptic
Find the cheapest way down to the lower 48 (regardless of routing) and then do MR's from there. For example, if you can get a half decent fare to SEA, there seem to often be SEA-east coast runs on AA/NW that pop up on here, and you could do those for AS credit. Repeat 2-3 times, then fly home to ANC?
Exactly!

I live in Fairbanks, which is in about the same boat as JNU when it comes to affordable flights to anywhere. When it comes to Mileage Runs, Seattle is an excellent starting point. For more on this topic, here's a couple of reports from Mileage Runs I did out of the Pacific Northwest in years past...

ON THE ROAD AGAIN ~ In Pursuit of Bonus Miles

ON THE ROAD AGAIN - 108,000 Miles Around America on Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Old Mar 16, 2006, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
For more on this topic, here's a couple of reports from Mileage Runs I did out of the Pacific Northwest in years past...
Actually, finding one of your extended travel logs on an external site is what inspired me to join FT and pursue MRs in the first place. You are my hero! I look forward to reading your trip reports thoroughly. Hopefully I can learn a thing or two. One thing's for sure, I'll be refocusing my MR planning efforts on SEA-based runs. Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Sorry... Kinda forgot about this thread.
Price isn't exactly an issue since it's going to be a tax-payer funded trip.
I was thinking booking three separate tickets: JNU-YAK, YAK-Cordova, Cordova-ANC and do the return in reverse.

Flight # wouldn't change but I would have 3 different boarding passes.

I don't if it's worth a hassle...
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:26 am

Price isn't exactly an issue since it's going to be a tax-payer funded trip.
Wow.

Mike
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by nako
Wow.

Mike

Yeah, I agree, that is really, really uncool

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.