FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/)
-   -   Mileage Run Seminars -- Details in First Post (MERGED) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals/441606-mileage-run-seminars-details-first-post-merged.html)

Viajero Joven Jun 9, 2005 8:11 am

Mileage Run Seminars -- Details in First Post

No seminars are currently scheduled; however, log your interest and city suggestion on the thread. Once there is a lot of support for a city, I can make arrangements.

----------------------------------------

----------------------------------------

(Note that past seminars in Chicago, Ann Arbor MI, Washington DC, Phoenix, San Francisco, New York City, and Seattle have been completed.)

During discussion in the thread, people have offered to help contribute toward my travel expenses. To stay in accordance with the Flyertalk terms of service, let me clarify: The seminar is free. However, you may contribute toward my travel expenses through paypal to [email protected] and the suggested donation is $25 per person.

So I can learn more about participants, please answer these questions in registration about current and desired elite status, and travel patterns.

The thread is a continuation of discussion from this thread and details will be posted in this first entry as they're finalized.

Thanks!!

An important note: I will ask that the information I present not be shared with anyone outside of family and friends of those who attend--- in other words, the media/reporters are not welcome. Many do follow this board, and a number have shown up at FT events, but I'll ask that participants who attend do so to increase their personal knowledge, and not for other motives.

t-rev Jun 9, 2005 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Viajero Joven
So far the tentative locations are Phoenix and Chicago, dates TBD in July/August.

The thread is a continuation of discussion from this thread and details will be posted in this first entry as they're finalized.

Essentially, I'm still waiting for you guys to determine amongst yourselves a mutually agreeable time and location, and I'll just show up. ;)

I would definately love to attend one of these. I am in MSP so the Chicago one seems very doable. Great idea!

bworrell Jun 9, 2005 9:26 am

I *just* read the thread that started this all and am interested. I'd fly to either PHX or Chicago and would just want enough advance notice to find a cheap fare (from SEA). I'd suggest doing this on a Saturday at possibly the conference room that was mentioned in PHX (that way no $$ for a hotel conference room). Personally I have the 1st, 3rd, and 5th weekends of July open, along with the 4th weekend in Aug.

In addition my company has a 'Sametime' server (similar to WebEx) that we could use for free if we wanted to do something online. I personally would prefer to do it in person.

JGR01 Jun 9, 2005 9:41 am

um ..phx in Aug ... should I bring some spare eggs to cook on the pool-side decking??

ORD would be nice.. or you want to come back to MSP and shop at the Mall and take the new Lite Rail system from the airport??

jrobin Jun 9, 2005 10:05 am

August 18 in Phoenix could work for me

I will arrive at LAX on Thursday morning August 18 en route to YYZ with QF. I could make a diversion LAX-PHX-LAX with America West, unfortunately forgoing status credits, but their fare of just over US$100 return appears much lower than anything earning credits. I thus could be up for something in PHX on the Thursday evening August 18. But I suspect that date will not be popular with many others.

hobo13 Jun 9, 2005 10:10 am

Boston seminar?

If any of the potential seminar presenters are flying through Boston for the BOS-MAD trip this fall and spending a night before starting out, it would be great to have a presentation up here. I'm sure I could get us a conference room with projector, whiteboard, etc, at a particular three-lettered institute of higher education in Cambridge.

925 Jun 9, 2005 10:20 am

Seattle availability

I will renew my offer of a nice place for 12+ people and wi-fi in Seattle.

brucemcal Jun 9, 2005 10:58 am

Originally Posted by 925
I will renew my offer of a nice place for 12+ people and wi-fi in Seattle.

Maybe Missy could add it as part of the SeaDo in August?

I'd come.

Bruce

Pat89339 Jun 9, 2005 11:15 am

Either locale would work for me and my summer dates are, so far, flexible.

grbflyer Jun 9, 2005 11:20 am

chicago works for me!

the_nomad Jun 9, 2005 12:24 pm

I recently spotted this particular thread, just finished reading all the posts, and I'm also interested in attending, if that's equitable.

But I've noticed that alot of folks are suggesting locales/facilities but noone is delagated to choose any. Why don't we do this:

1)VJ already opened options of phx and ord and a variety of dates.

2)Appoint someone as a tallyman
Everyone emails/pm's him/her with their vote of location and date (taking into account the availibility of facilities referenced in past posts) - whatever works best for them and designate a poll closing date. Maybe a week?

2)Tallyman selects most popular location and most popular date and posts results.

3)If someone has an inside line on facilities in the chosen location, let us know.

I can offer my services as tallyman as I won't be influenced by a personal preference.... I have the whole summer off and can do whatever. Or if the moderator is considered more impartial and is willing to do it....

Just an thought! @:-)

Cheers,
Jim

925 Jun 9, 2005 12:26 pm

You are exactly right! PLEASE go for it Jim!

SchmutzigMSP Jun 9, 2005 12:30 pm

Another vote for the fine lakes and mall that are MSP. :cool:

Otherwise, ORD would likely be more do-able than PHX for me. Definitely on a weekend, though; like a Sat. afternoon.

This sounds like fun. Perhaps I could learn from this to be more creative on making MRs out of a NW-monopolized hub. ^

danceswithsunlight Jun 9, 2005 12:31 pm

I would also like to attend. Chicago works best for me.

rxn20 Jun 9, 2005 12:42 pm

I vote for a weekend in Chicago as well...maybe we can schedule it for a weekend when the Cubs are in town and catch a game? :)